ADVERTISEMENT

Scientists expected thawing wetlands in Siberia’s permafrost. What they found is ‘much more dangerous.’

I'd like an actual answer to the question.

Actually, I've posted what may happen if we desalinate the waters that run our "global ocean conveyor" since at least 2015 (as far as the search function goes back)

It's called a "tipping point", and it is EXACTLY what this thread is talking about.

Already posted it for you, buddy.

You need to do more than find rando soundbites.
I've posted a Nature article that clearly shows you want I'm referring to.
You pointed to an article confirming the rate and degree of temperature changes in Greenland and Venezuela that then discusses how rain patterns changed in the equatorial pacific islands and can be measured from stalagmite formation and that the change in hydrological patterns happened a different time scale.

Do you think that contradicts the observation that temperatures abruptly changed several degrees within a few years?

You pointed to an article confirming the rate and degree of temperature changes in Greenland and Venezuela

You linked it.

My article explains that those were REGIONAL.
And that temperature rises at the low latitudes took "several hundred years" to ramp up a few degrees.

This is, again, a signature of a tipping point due to ocean currents changing. Something I'd linked a half dozen posts I've made on that topic over the past 6+ years.

On the bright side, Iowans have less worry about the next ice age!

glaciers.gif
Did you know that one of my favorite fishing lakes of all time, Blackhawk Lake, is the southern-most glacial made lake in the country. Now ya do.

Reactions: seminole97
I’m sure it’ll be a hot topic at Obama’s bday party where 95% of the 600 guests fly into Martha’s Vineyard on private planes. The 200 servants will probably get dirty looks for driving old dirty vehicles still.

If humans go, they will be responsible for their own demise. But, Nature will continue to flourish long after we go. I think Nature has the human species on its "Time To Go" list, anyway!

Barely a second in geological time!

I’m sure it’ll be a hot topic at Obama’s bday party where 95% of the 600 guests fly into Martha’s Vineyard on private planes. The 200 servants will probably get dirty looks for driving old dirty vehicles still.
But they care. That’s the important thing.

those that bitch the most about humans effect on environment likely do the most damage to it.

Reactions: KFSuperStar
Ever notice how seldom the people who make snide comments like this actually care about the climate crisis?

Reactions: cigaretteman
Unfortunately our needs have no bearing on the truth...
Sad, but true.

Except that if we stop hoping for magical salvation (cold fusion, etc.) and if we recognize the scope of the disaster we are creating, maybe we can get our asses in gear and deal with the problems we face.

We CAN do this. No longer will it be easy or cheap. That ship has sailed. But we can still do it.

If humans go, they will be responsible for their own demise. But, Nature will continue to flourish long after we go. I think Nature has the human species on its "Time To Go" list, anyway!

Barely a second in geological time!
Sadly we will kill millions if not billions of animals, and drive thousands of species into extinction before we have done our worst.

Almost makes me want to root for more pandemics. Fewer innocents are harmed.

Sad, but true.

Except that if we stop hoping for magical salvation (cold fusion, etc.) and if we recognize the scope of the disaster we are creating, maybe we can get our asses in gear and deal with the problems we face. We CAN do this. No longer will it be easy or cheap. That ship has sailed. But we can still do it.

I disagree,.. humans won't accept the changes that would have to happen,.. this will simply have to play out..

Ever notice how seldom the people who make snide comments like this actually care about the climate crisis?
Is it worse to lie about having cancer or calling someone out for lying about having cancer?

Is worse to say idk how much humans can influence future weather or to say humans control future weather from an 18,000 sq ft house with a helicopter pad?

Is it worse to lie about having cancer or calling someone out for lying about having cancer?

Is worse to say idk how much humans can influence future weather or to say humans control future weather from an 18,000 sq ft house with a helicopter pad?
Could you rephrase that in English?

I'm usually good with analogies, but those comments are too tortured for me to decipher.

Actually, I've posted what may happen if we desalinate the waters that run our "global ocean conveyor" since at least 2015 (as far as the search function goes back)
You were also among the first if not the first here to emphasize the danger of ocean acidification.

Credit where credit is due. Folks here, especially newbies, need to know who the trustworthy posters are.

You were also among the first if not the first here to emphasize the danger of ocean acidification.

Credit where credit is due. Folks here, especially newbies, need to know who the trustworthy posters are.
That actually may have been tarheel or one of the other posters that does some climate or environmental work (fsujreed?)

There were one or two guys who (correctly) pointed that out in most of the "warming" threads. And they are 100% right - acidification is what can wipe out our global food chain. A WHOLE LOT of animal feed we use to raise chickens/beef comes from ocean sources (e.g. Peruvian anchovetta). If that disappears, we don't have any "backup" and things could get ugly if there isn't any land-based (or plant-based) substitute.

Per Reuters, a full 1/3 (37%) of the ocean fish supply is used for animal feed.

That's not a "climate" tipping point, per-se, but it would be a massive societal and food-supply tipping point, that would not be reversible and would result in unimaginable social unrest....

That actually may have been tarheel or one of the other posters that does some climate or environmental work (fsujreed?)
Those are another couple of trustworthy posters on this topic. I thought about mentioning them (and ciggy), and I like to think of myself in that group as well. But once you start listing people, you inevitably forget someone, and I didn't want to give offense.

Reactions: Joes Place
Per Reuters, a full 1/3 (37%) of the ocean fish supply is used for animal feed.

That's not a "climate" tipping point, per-se, but it would be a massive societal and food-supply tipping point, that would not be reversible and would result in unimaginable social unrest....
Add ocean warming, plastics, and over-fishing to the mix and the reduction of food supplies from the oceans could well be another kind of tipping point. And could be a lot closer than we think.

We will probably respond by processing more of the ocean food chain for human and livestock consumption - eating more junk species, for example, after we give them palatable new names. And we can count on the FDA or whoever is in charge to raise the levels of plastics we are allowed to eat - for the simple reason those levels will keep climbing in fish food sources.

But how long will that that keep us going?

Another fish-related concern that I haven't seen discussed yet involves shrimp and salmon and other kinds of fish farming. We now recognize that the way we raise poultry and hogs creates multiple Petri dishes favoring the evolution of dangerous strains of viruses and bacteria. Is the same true of fish farming operations?

It appears we have no interest in curbing those risks.

Interestingly, a shutdown of the AMOC seems to be directly tied to the rapid northern latitude climate changes cited by the other poster here during the Younger Dryas

Precisely the mechanism I'd noted in stating "ocean currents" can induce very significant and rapid local/regional change - but NOT global, as it'll just warm more, elsewhere.

And today's WaPo is citing that exact risk with the AMOC/Gulf Stream and how that would trigger catastrophic climate change for certain heavily populated areas of the world, inclusive of the US East Coast and Europe.

And they note that IF we weaken/shut off the AMOC due to our fossil-fuel warming of the arctic and massive freshwater runoff from Greenland, it "will not be easily reversible within our lifetimes"; it would require decades, if not hundreds of years to reverse it. Only chance we'd have to restart it is to dump millions of tons of salt into the upper Atlantic, and try to trigger the same "down-welling" to restart it. If that would even be possible.

Interestingly, a shutdown of the AMOC seems to be directly tied to the rapid northern latitude climate changes cited by the other poster here during the Younger Dryas

Precisely the mechanism I'd noted in stating "ocean currents" can induce very significant and rapid local/regional change - but NOT global, as it'll just warm more, elsewhere.

And today's WaPo is citing that exact risk with the AMOC/Gulf Stream and how that would trigger catastrophic climate change for certain heavily populated areas of the world, inclusive of the US East Coast and Europe.

And they note that IF we weaken/shut off the AMOC due to our fossil-fuel warming of the arctic and massive freshwater runoff from Greenland, it "will not be easily reversible within our lifetimes"; it would require decades, if not hundreds of years to reverse it. Only chance we'd have to restart it is to dump millions of tons of salt into the upper Atlantic, and try to trigger the same "down-welling" to restart it. If that would even be possible.
Very scary stuff.

Reactions: fsu1jreed
@fsu

@fsu1jreed is that guy. He understands that acidification is the 800 pound gorilla that the media seems to miss. Oceanic food chains can collapse which would devastate terrestrial critters who depend on them (like many humans).

As far as tipping points go, if the global conveyor slows dramatically, the oceans could effectively stratify with the surface warming and eventually being unable to act as a heat sink - northern Europe could freeze while much of the rest of the world heated rapidly. We could see near-permanent El Nino conditions in the Pacific which would disrupt weather all over the world. So - you know - fun.

@fsu

@fsu1jreed is that guy. He understands that acidification is the 800 pound gorilla that the media seems to miss. Oceanic food chains can collapse which would devastate terrestrial critters who depend on them (like many humans).

As far as tipping points go, if the global conveyor slows dramatically, the oceans could effectively stratify with the surface warming and eventually being unable to act as a heat sink - northern Europe could freeze while much of the rest of the world heated rapidly. We could see near-permanent El Nino conditions in the Pacific which would disrupt weather all over the world. So - you know - fun.
Which stock should I buy to profit on the renewed popularity of

Day-After-Tomorrow.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT