ADVERTISEMENT

Scott Starzyc flipping to Michigan?

His profile has him as #1 kicker and #4 punter... Tripp Woody is behind Stevens and was pretty decent in HS. Dunno, kids change their minds like the wind sometimes. I'm not overly concerned about the kicking game, we usually have that pretty solid.
He is a projected kicker, and if the Iowa coaches offered him, I'd say that certainly means something. There is a pretty huge drop off between Stevens and Woody, and I think that says a lot about Stevens's leg strength. I will admit, I was glad that the news of a potential de-commit was a kicker.

Live look at @EvilMonkeyInTheCloset :

Technical Difficulties Tech GIF by CBS

Maybe he sees an uptick in the offense and wants to do more than kick PATs and handle kickoff duties. He committed when Iowa had a dog doo offense so he had visions of long FGs.

he knows Lester is going to turn Iowa into a offensive powerhouse and there will be no need to kick FG's in the near future :)
yes but aren’t you shitting bricks that lester will get poached as hc
next year?

yes but aren’t you shitting bricks that lester will get poached as hc
next year?
Nope. He said when he got here he wanted to raise his kids in one spot. Coaches that do well are treated well. We also tend to give them time. Only reason expectations are so high this year is because of the experience of the OL and the entire defense. So we have realistic expectations compared to about any other place in the country and that is unheard of in today's coaching world.

His profile has him as #1 kicker and #4 punter... Tripp Woody is behind Stevens and was pretty decent in HS. Dunno, kids change their minds like the wind sometimes. I'm not overly concerned about the kicking game, we usually have that pretty solid.
Starzyc is a projected kicker not a punter.
Apparently, there is another outstanding HS kicker in of all places, Ankeny….Imagine that?

I sincerely hope no one is worked up about maybe potentially missing out on a kicker. Of all positions that a serviceable option can be found, that has to be near the top. (no offense to mepo or any parents of potential kickers)

I sincerely hope no one is worked up about maybe potentially missing out on a kicker. Of all positions that a serviceable option can be found, that has to be near the top. (no offense to mepo or any parents of potential kickers)
an outstanding kicker can easily add +1 to the win column for a team like iowa. maybe i’ve watched too much kirkball but i would give a true difference making kicker (and i am NOT saying this guy is that) equal value as several other positions on offense

Nebraska, Minnesota...already have losses due to bad kicking. ISU would not have upset us without their kicker who was capable of nailing 50-60 yarders.

Desi is right, a great kicker can easily add a win each year, maybe more.

Last edited:
Iowa State's kicker was a walk on from Dubuque, Iowa. He nailed us.

Reactions: JerseyCityHawki
You do have to wonder if Stevens resurgence and solid play will play into this. He's only a soph. and basically only one guy kicks.

Stevens is a junior .
this is his 3rd year as iowa's kicker
That's what I thought. So Starzyk would have to sit one year. Maybe that's enough. He wants to come in and kick right away. But...he already knew DS's eligibility when he committed.

Reactions: dadster
Michigan’s kicker is a true junior and punter is a redshirt junior. Sounds like NIL.
Wait...so if he does go to Michigan it would be the same exact situation as Iowa where he'd be coming in with a senior incumbent at PK and a better one at P as Iowa's guy will have 3 years left while Michigan's guy will be done after the year...

Sound logic on your part

Wait...so if he does go to Michigan it would be the same exact situation as Iowa where he'd be coming in with a senior incumbent at PK and a better one at P as Iowa's guy will have 3 years left while Michigan's guy will be done after the year...

Sound logic on your part
Unless Zvada, Michigan kicker, goes to the NFL. He’s a pretty good kicker. They’re a very good special teams school in their own right.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT