ADVERTISEMENT

Scottish Open

Hawk_4shur

HR Legend
Jan 2, 2009
Enjoying the coverage of the Scottish Open this weekend. Great field, good weather and it looks like it will be a great finish.

But, I am captivated by the natural beauty of the area. Multiple golf courses right on the ocean, all of which were built as a part of the natural landscape. Old stone walls that look like they are 2,000 years old. A distinct absence of gawdy clubhouses and uber-expensive vacation homes for the rich. Acres of land between the golf courses appear to be undisturbed by man. You can scan the beautiful horizon and not see a building in sight. In fact, you don't even see too many roadways.

What would that land be today if it were a part of the U.S.? Hotels? Condos? Shopping malls?

Anyway, check it out. Even if you don't like golf!

:cool:

It's a beautiful area. I golfed on the Lothian coast many years ago, in the 90s. There are around 20 courses in the area including Muirfield.

Did anyone watch the JP McManus pro-am in County Limerick last week.

Most of the big names played in it and I've never seen a golf event on TV that had greater access to the players

DowntownCrowdedBeach-MyrtleBeach-Boardwalk-1440x720.jpg

Enjoying the coverage of the Scottish Open this weekend. Great field, good weather and it looks like it will be a great finish.

But, I am captivated by the natural beauty of the area. Multiple golf courses right on the ocean, all of which were built as a part of the natural landscape. Old stone walls that look like they are 2,000 years old. A distinct absence of gawdy clubhouses and uber-expensive vacation homes for the rich. Acres of land between the golf courses appear to be undisturbed by man. You can scan the beautiful horizon and not see a building in sight. In fact, you don't even see too many roadways.

What would that land be today if it were a part of the U.S.? Hotels? Condos? Shopping malls?

Anyway, check it out. Even if you don't like golf!

:cool:
The secret to their natural looking golf courses is they just dont move much earth to build them. It costs too much. One of the reasons the Scots HATE Donald trump is when he built his course 15 years ago, he made a big production about how HE was moving earth and building the PERFECT golf course. It's a nice golf course but not supported by the locals or the R&A in any way. A couple of reasons......1) that he didn't pay his contractors as promised and 2) despite being told of the DANGERS of moving earth on "links" areas, Trump knew better and did so......and a few years ago he went, "hat in hand" to local Scot government authorities seeking their permission to repair "sea erosion damage" created from his moving of earth in the links area. See, Donal;d Trump is not only a real estate expert, he knows everything about building golf courses, too! But you are correct....that is a beautiful part of the world FULL of spectacular golf courses.

I've often thought of getting us a winter home in Scotland...its natural beauty is hard to beat.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
Was there about 6-7 weeks ago and I was struck by the beauty and the culture. Far more modern than I expected. Newer courses have been built and are fantastic venues but it's true the locals don't appreciate their manufactured nature. The Old Course and Carnoustie were awesome but my favorite was Kingsbarn. Truly spectacular views.

I have also thought about getting a home there.

Reactions: soybean
Was there about 6-7 weeks ago and I was struck by the beauty and the culture. Far more modern than I expected. Newer courses have been built and are fantastic venues but it's true the locals don't appreciate their manufactured nature. The Old Course and Carnoustie were awesome but my favorite was Kingsbarn. Truly spectacular views.

I have also thought about getting a home there.
Couldn’t afford Kingsbarn when I was there...the most expensive course in Scotland, ‘crept Muirfield!
Carnoustie is the most difficult course I ever played in my life...the last 5 holes killed me! But maybe it was the 30-40 mph winds I played in that day!
Cruden Bay was my favorite....Royal Dornock is really a great links course, too! The Scots are a wonderful, friendly people who really like Yanks...but I had trouble understanding them!

Couldn’t afford Kingsbarn when I was there...the most expensive course in Scotland, ‘crept Muirfield!
Carnoustie is the most difficult course I ever played in my life...the last 5 holes killed me! But maybe it was the 30-40 mph winds I played in that day!
Cruden Bay was my favorite....Royal Dornock is really a great links course, too! The Scots are a wonderful, friendly people who really like Yanks...but I had trouble understanding them!
One of our caddies was a member at Cruden Bay, I believe. We hit the Castle course as well which is another the locals don't like but it's really good. Troon was good as was Turnberry but playing the Old Course with all the stands up for the 150th Open was special. I want to go back and spend more time there - hit some of the other highlight courses as well as exploring the unknowns.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
One of our caddies was a member at Cruden Bay, I believe. We hit the Castle course as well which is another the locals don't like but it's really good. Troon was good as was Turnberry but playing the Old Course with all the stands up for the 150th Open was special. I want to go back and spend more time there - hit some of the other highlight courses as well as exploring the unknowns.
Which course...Troon or Turnberry has the R&A dropped from the Open rotation until Trump walks away? Trump really has pissed off the Scots...and they can be a hardheaded as he!
I was there 8 years ago, and they hated him then! They were openly boycotting his course thT he built and when he bought (Turnberry/Troon) the R/A told him to get lost.

My son and DIL (no pics) are there now. Going to an Open practice round next week at the Old Course. Pics they are sending are stunning!

Which course...Troon or Turnberry has the R&A dropped from the Open rotation until Trump walks away? Trump really has pissed off the Scots...and they can be a hardheaded as he!
I was there 8 years ago, and they hated him then! They were openly boycotting his course thT he built and when he bought (Turnberry/Troon) the R/A told him to get lost.
Turnberry

Turnberry. Open is at Troon in 2024, I believe. They do not like the Donald.

I don't remember who gave me this advice about Scotland on my first trip over there. When we first gointo a pub we buy the first one just for us, then you quietly buy a round for the house - when you use that technique don't be in a hurry as you'll be stunned at how many Scottish friends you'll now have. Scotland Forever!

ADVERTISEMENT