ADVERTISEMENT

SCOTUS Justice Samuel Alito mocks foreign critics of Supreme Court abortion ruling & rants about religious freedom

Morrison71

HR Legend
Nov 10, 2006
Justice Samuel Alito, the author of the Supreme Court’s earth-shaking decision last month overturning Roe v. Wade, is mocking foreign leaders who lamented his opinion doing away with a half-century of federal constitutional protection for abortion rights in the U.S.

During a surprise appearance as a keynote speaker at a religious freedom conference in Rome last week, sponsored by the University of Notre Dame, Alito poked fun at the torrent of international criticism of his opinion for the five-justice court majority.

“I had the honor this term of writing, I think, the only Supreme Court decision in the history of that institution that has been lambasted by a whole string of foreign leaders, who felt perfectly fine commenting on American law,” the appointee of President George W. Bush declared in his speech, according to a video posted online by the university on Thursday — one week after the address was delivered.

“One of these was former Prime Minister Boris Johnson, but he paid the price,” Alito joked, referring to the conservative British leader’s announcement earlier this month that he planned to step down. “Post hoc ergo propter hoc, right?” the justice added, drawing applause and laughter from the audience to a Latin phrase used to describe a fallacious argument.

Alito, sporting a new beard, went on to note that President Emanuel Macron of France and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau of Canada “are still in office” despite the salvos they launched at the ruling, which frees U.S. states to impose sharp limits on abortion throughout pregnancy.

“What really wounded me was when the duke of Sussex addressed the United Nations and seemed to compare the decision whose name may not be spoken with the Russian attack on Ukraine,” Alito said. “Despite this temptation, I’m not going to talk about cases from other countries.”

Most of Alito’s 36-minute speech was devoted to a discussion of religious liberty, with the conservative justice arguing that support for religious liberty is eroding because so many people now say they lack religious belief.

“It is hard to convince people that religious liberty is worth defending if they don’t think that religion is a good thing that deserves protection,” Alito said, before outlining some arguments that might find traction with what he called an “increasing” number of people who reject religion or don’t consider it important.

Reactions: Moral
Here's a good question: have the Supreme Court Justices changed... ot have we changed?

They've been expressly politic picks for a long time now.

20 years ago the majority - based on political leanings - generally decided the way you might expect them to.

Maybe our response changed.

When both the KFs like your post.

ssssss.png

Justice Samuel Alito, the author of the Supreme Court’s earth-shaking decision last month overturning Roe v. Wade, is mocking foreign leaders who lamented his opinion doing away with a half-century of federal constitutional protection for abortion rights in the U.S.

During a surprise appearance as a keynote speaker at a religious freedom conference in Rome last week, sponsored by the University of Notre Dame, Alito poked fun at the torrent of international criticism of his opinion for the five-justice court majority.

“I had the honor this term of writing, I think, the only Supreme Court decision in the history of that institution that has been lambasted by a whole string of foreign leaders, who felt perfectly fine commenting on American law,” the appointee of President George W. Bush declared in his speech, according to a video posted online by the university on Thursday — one week after the address was delivered.

“One of these was former Prime Minister Boris Johnson, but he paid the price,” Alito joked, referring to the conservative British leader’s announcement earlier this month that he planned to step down. “Post hoc ergo propter hoc, right?” the justice added, drawing applause and laughter from the audience to a Latin phrase used to describe a fallacious argument.

Alito, sporting a new beard, went on to note that President Emanuel Macron of France and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau of Canada “are still in office” despite the salvos they launched at the ruling, which frees U.S. states to impose sharp limits on abortion throughout pregnancy.

“What really wounded me was when the duke of Sussex addressed the United Nations and seemed to compare the decision whose name may not be spoken with the Russian attack on Ukraine,” Alito said. “Despite this temptation, I’m not going to talk about cases from other countries.”

Most of Alito’s 36-minute speech was devoted to a discussion of religious liberty, with the conservative justice arguing that support for religious liberty is eroding because so many people now say they lack religious belief.

“It is hard to convince people that religious liberty is worth defending if they don’t think that religion is a good thing that deserves protection,” Alito said, before outlining some arguments that might find traction with what he called an “increasing” number of people who reject religion or don’t consider it important.
And Alito is also getting mocked at home and could care less with his band of political cons. Is he ignoring this fact ?

Reactions: RileyHawk
A lot of irony in Alito complaining about his decision being "lambasted by a whole string of foreign leaders, who felt perfectly fine commenting on American law," when that same decision was driven by his life-long upbringing and devotion to rulings and religious laws of a foreign leader in the person of the Pope.

I mean, when your Roman church's leaders are publically declaring they will refuse communion (basically kicking out of the church) to politicians (Pelosi) who won't agree to banning abortion AT THE EXACT SAME TIME a 6 catholic conservative majority is actually deciding a case on banning abortion, it's pretty rich to complain about other foreign leaders commentary on that same decision.

So why attend an international summit on religious liberty?
Scotus justices routinely take speaking/symposium/teaching gigs at EU events to provide us legal perspectives on global issues. So in that respect, this is really nothing new.

Honestly, he's right that ex-us leaders should generally keep their mouths closed regarding us domestic legal issues -- just as us judges should likewise keep their mouths closed about comments by foreign leaders regarding just about anything. But hey, this does seem to be the year that Alito has seemed to take unfortunate and special delight in trolling people. Just ask Larry Tribe.

But I kinda do like the beard that he is now rocking.

Oh...and one-time Prince Harry really is a grifter dolt.

Scotus justices routinely take speaking/symposium/teaching gigs at EU events to provide us legal perspectives on global issues. So in that respect, this is really nothing new.

Honestly, he's right that ex-us leaders should generally keep their mouths closed regarding us domestic legal issues -- just as us judges should likewise keep their mouths closed about comments by foreign leaders regarding just about anything. But hey, this does seem to be the year that Alito has seemed to take unfortunate and special delight in trolling people. Just ask Larry Tribe.

But I kinda do like the beard that he is now rocking.

Oh...and one-time Prince Harry really is a grifter dolt.
Global perspectives on fundamental rights are important when it’s his perspective?

And Harry isn’t a grifter. He’s just a moran.

Interesting that he rants about "religious freedom" but ignores freedom from religion.
Totally this. I used to say that I'm an atheist who would stand outside your church with a gun to protect your right to religious freedom. It's a basic tenant of this country.

However that view has changed drastically in the last ten years. The other basic tenant of this country is the separation of church and state. That was violated by overturning Roe. It's sought after by the ever growing body of evangelicals. Now I describe myself as an anti-theist. Religion seeping into government is poisoning our country.

ADVERTISEMENT