ADVERTISEMENT

SCOTUS likely to reject limits on White House tech contacts

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
The Supreme Court seems likely to reject a Republican-led effort that could reshape how politicians communicate with major social media companies — with sweeping consequences for government efforts to secure elections and combat health misinformation.

A majority of justices from across the ideological spectrum expressed concern about hamstringing federal government communications with social media platforms on issues such as public health, national security and elections.

In at times tense exchanges, the court’s liberal justices have pushed back on arguments from Louisiana Solicitor General Benjamin Aguiñaga, who argued the federal government violated the First Amendment in frequent, secretive communications with Silicon Valley.

“I have such a problem with your brief, counselor. You omit information that changes the context of some of your claims. You attribute things to people who it didn’t happen to,” Justice Sonia Sotomayor said. “I don’t know what to make of all this.”

Brian Fletcher, the principal deputy solicitor general of the United States, argued that the government was legally using its bully pulpit to protect the American public. He warned that overly broad limits on the government’s communications with tech companies could harm efforts to protect national security or children’s mental health.
Throughout the proceedings, justices grappled with when the communications crossed the line into illegal coercion.
Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. quipped that he has “no experience coercing anybody,” drawing laughs in the room.
Key updates

Skip to end of carousel

Here's what to know​

Lower courts have placed restrictions on the communications of the White House, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and other government agencies with Silicon Valley. In September, a panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit ruled that the White House, top government health officials and the FBI violated the First Amendment by improperly influencing tech companies.
The lawsuit and other litigation targeting programs intended to combat misinformation have already chilled a host of efforts to debunk falsehoods about elections and public health. The U.S. government has stopped warning some social networks about foreign disinformation campaigns on their platforms — reversing a years-long approach, according to officials from Meta and Pinterest.

• Haha
Reactions: Sharky1203
“I have such a problem with your brief, counselor. You omit information that changes the context of some of your claims. You attribute things to people who it didn’t happen to,” Justice Sonia Sotomayor said. “I don’t know what to make of all this.”

They submitted as evidence a communication from the WH that expressed anger about a technical glitch with the president's account as evidence of the WH bullying over content.

Reactions: cigaretteman
indeed it didn't; a classic case of 'policy' litigation with overbroad implications.

otoh, the nra counsel seemed to get a reasonably easy ride in the second case on 1A retaliation.

Which is why and I’m just spitballing here, we should actually enforce standing rules and apply the new judicial conference rule to prevent one judge district selection.

Agree on the NRA argument.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT