ADVERTISEMENT

scrimmage 8-17

jackattack001

Rookie
Jul 11, 2016
Starting a thread for any info coming out on the big 8/17 scrimmage ... I know nothing but have a question. Does anyone know how the 'teams are selected'? ... ie, is it current 1's vs 2's or a mix of 1's and 2's on each 'team'. I'm sure info will emerge later this week but just anxious to here about qb play and any young guys turning heads.

P.S.: it wasn't a fair catch

I now Lester had said in the interview that he wanted to see both Cade and Sully playing with the 2's offense against the 1's on defense and see just what they could create against a real challenge, where THEY had to make a difference. Time to cut bait on the QB decision. I like it.....

I have no inside info, sorry, but I hope the game plan for Ilinois State is to play both QBs about equally, and maybe even give Lainez a series or two. I think Lester knows that judging QBs, or any other position, solely on practice performance makes no sense. Some guys practice well and play poorly on Saturdays, and vice versa. So let's see at least both QBs in game action. That would provide the most valid basis for judgment moving forward. And it would be fair.

QB wise- may the best guy win but I really like when we have a mobile qb ... it just makes it so much harder on the defense imo. Of course they need to be accurate etc. Also I'm really looking forward to having an offense whose formation doesn't tell the play before the snap.

I have no inside info, sorry, but I hope the game plan for Ilinois State is to play both QBs about equally, and maybe even give Lainez a series or two. I think Lester knows that judging QBs, or any other position, solely on practice performance makes no sense. Some guys practice well and play poorly on Saturdays, and vice versa. So let's see at least both QBs in game action. That would provide the most valid basis for judgment moving forward. And it would be fair.

From what I saw at the kids day practice I would be surprised if Lainez sees any action this year.

I think Lester knows that judging QBs, or any other position, solely on practice performance makes no sense.
Really???!!! Are there some coaches who hardly ever put their #2 qb in during the early non-conf games or when their starter is struggling. I cant comprehend that happening. Never at Iowa under Kirk, I have never seen that!!! ;)

So nobody knows anything?

Also, I'll be very surprised if Cade isn't the starting QB. That would be very un-Kirk like. I'm talking whole season, almost every snap.
IDK, Kirk has been noncommittal lately which is in contrast to his statements this summer. He even mentioned (unprovoked) a package for Sullivan. I would typically agree with your statement but just have a different feeling, probably because of Lester.

Reactions: kceasthawk
IDK, Kirk has been noncommittal lately which is in contrast to his statements this summer. He even mentioned (unprovoked) a package for Sullivan. I would typically agree with your statement but just have a different feeling, probably because of Lester.
Plus Lester has said several times he is seeing what each person does best and then scheming around that. So he knows what Sullivan does better then Cade and vise versa. So honestly I think if we get into a pickle, I could see them switching it up. Now what NOBODY has mentioned is that our punter can pass the ball as well. That might be interesting on special teams as well. It should be something they are working on anyway.

Reactions: jackattack001
Kirk 5.0

90ohaw.jpg

Last edited:
  • Haha
This is my first year watching the W, and it's striking how bad some of these players are even with only the best 144 women making rosters.

Easy to see why Indiana hasn't been in the playoffs since 2016.

This QB battle is going to come down to who can most effectively audible into an outside zone to the left side.
i heard that lester got in touch with brian ferentz and received some useful tips. let’s hope this wasn’t one of them

I could have sworn one of the podcast I listened to mentioned Cade bounced back since kids day, but they’re mixing Sullivan in some. I’ll try to upload it if I find it, wasn’t about closed scrimmage 8/17 though probs during the week practices.

Sullivan outplayed Cade in the scrimmage, but Cade had the better overall week of practice post-Kids Day. Still a competition that they’ll let play out for one more week, then make a decision going into game week.

My guess is Cade, but they know they’ve got a quality backup in Sullivan if something happens. Lot better spot than we’ve been in for several years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT