ADVERTISEMENT

Script Ohio Fail!

Chewback

HB Legend
Feb 14, 2002
Well, a small fail. The sousaphone player high stepping over to dot the "i" shook his mouthpiece out on the way. Marching band hilarity.

It could be worse. I played trombone in HMB 1963-65. ONe of those years we were at Wisconsin doing a fairly intense drill routine at half time and my hat started to fall off. I grabbed for it and let my slide go. Somehow nobody stepped on it.

It could be worse. I played trombone in HMB 1963-65. ONe of those years we were at Wisconsin doing a fairly intense drill routine at half time and my hat started to fall off. I grabbed for it and let my slide go. Somehow nobody stepped on it.

WOW!

Hmmmm, 63-65? That must have been one of the highlights of the day.

One time at band camp ...

imgres

I will preface this by saying I absolutely HATED marching band in high school. I had to be a part of it because I went to a small school so you had to do everything. We had a 1 mile trek through Storm Lake and halfway through the button on my pants broke (not fat you SOBS). I marched half a mile trying to play a tenor saxophone with my pants falling off the entire time. One of the worst experiences of my life haha.

WOW!

Hmmmm, 63-65? That must have been one of the highlights of the day.
Yeah, very likely. I was very hungover and don't really remember a whole lot. Somebody kept running up and down the hallway in the hotel and keeping me awake. I finally stood by the door and when I heard the pitter-patter of feet I yanked the door open and said WTF? (Or words to that effect) guy says, "Oh sorry, did I wake you up?" I said, "Yeah about 6 or 7 times." He says, "We're having a party. Come on over." In a moment of weakness I said, "Ok, let me get my pants."

I got back to my room about 3 am drunker than 200 dollars (or maybe 2 am drunker than 300 dollars) and was not looking and feeling my best the next day. Definitely not ready for a complicated halftime show. Fairly lucky though, I figured the slide was a goner.

Yeah, very likely. I was very hungover and don't really remember a whole lot. Somebody kept running up and down the hallway in the hotel and keeping me awake. I finally stood by the door and when I heard the pitter-patter of feet I yanked the door open and said WTF? (Or words to that effect) guy says, "Oh sorry, did I wake you up?" I said, "Yeah about 6 or 7 times." He says, "We're having a party. Come on over." In a moment of weakness I said, "Ok, let me get my pants."

I got back to my room about 3 am drunker than 200 dollars (or maybe 2 am drunker than 300 dollars) and was not looking and feeling my best the next day. Definitely not ready for a complicated halftime show. Fairly lucky though, I figured the slide was a goner.

I went to school in the mid-70's. We didn't really sweat out too many close games. It was all about pre-game, in-game, and post-game parties.

I will preface this by saying I absolutely HATED marching band in high school. I had to be a part of it because I went to a small school so you had to do everything. We had a 1 mile trek through Storm Lake and halfway through the button on my pants broke (not fat you SOBS). I marched half a mile trying to play a tenor saxophone with my pants falling off the entire time. One of the worst experiences of my life haha.
There are several tunes you can play one-handed on tenor sax, I think. Not a lot, but...

I went to school in the mid-70's. We didn't really sweat out too many close games. It was all about pre-game, in-game, and post-game parties.
Well yeah, mid-70s. In the mid-60s we still thought there was a chance, In 1965, the Playboy preseason poll (the big one at that time) picked Iowa to be number 1 in the nation. We band members were making rose bowl plans in August. Iowa went 1-9 that season and we began to realize things might be getting bad. Still had no idea HOW bad. That came later.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT