ADVERTISEMENT

SDSU game is now sold out. 6 out of 7 games are sellouts.

OIP.xua3QUmMYOHbZTIlMy9yRAHaEK

I'd say down to 200 tickets or so left for Nebraska game based on looking at Iowa website. Would expect a season sellout announcement today or tomorrow.

Reactions: ichawk24
I'd guess we will see a lot of SdSt fans. In my 40 years of going to Kinnick NDST brought the most opposing fans of any team I've seen.

The game will probably be tied in the 2nd quarter
It will likely be a 4-quarter game, in the sense that unless SDSU just gifts Iowa a bunch of points, the outcome will be in doubt into the 4th quarter.

Just as a point of reference, Sagarin had SDSU as 71 in its rankings last year. That made them better last year than Illinois (77), Northwestern (101), Indiana (94), Colorado State (106) Kent State(108) and Maryland was 58. Iowa beat some of those teams handily, but went into the 4th quarter against some of them too. Illinois was 17 point Iowa win, but Iowa trailed 10-0 and had kick return for a TD and INT for a TD. CSU led Iowa at half.

It's a good opponent for Iowa to play. You have to play and compete to beat them.

Reactions: kceasthawk
It will likely be a 4-quarter game, in the sense that unless SDSU just gifts Iowa a bunch of points, the outcome will be in doubt into the 4th quarter.

Just as a point of reference, Sagarin had SDSU as 71 in its rankings last year. That made them better last year than Illinois (77), Northwestern (101), Indiana (94), Colorado State (106) Kent State(108) and Maryland was 58. Iowa beat some of those teams handily, but went into the 4th quarter against some of them too. Illinois was 17 point Iowa win, but Iowa trailed 10-0 and had kick return for a TD and INT for a TD. CSU led Iowa at half.

It's a good opponent for Iowa to play. You have to play and compete to beat them.
I see a 28 point beat. And about 60 run plays for the Hawks. The WIlliams run for over 100 each.

True that. I'm much more worried about SD State than the Clowns.

I have us losing to SDSU. Not kidding. I think we get Iowa St. though.
And they were polite.
You and I had very different groups around then. They talked trash the whole time.
No big deal for Nebraska. They haven't played in front of a sellout crowd in a long time.
You can say what you want about Nebraska football (and I will join you) but their fans are loyal. This will be a game with lot's of red unless Frosty is fired by then.

I have us losing to SDSU. Not kidding. I think we get Iowa St. though
Explain. Curious how many points you think SDSU will score against the Hawkeye defense. SDSU runs an offense that can cause problems but they haven't seen a trio of LBs that Iowa will play.

I don't see the Jacks scoring 20 points vs. Iowa unless the Hawks gift them scores off of turnovers. On offense, Iowa is going to pound the ground - very predicble but SDSU is going to get plowed into the ground IMO..

Reactions: NevadaHawk
You can say what you want about Nebraska football (and I will join you) but their fans are loyal. This will be a game with lot's of red unless Frosty is fired by then.
Won't argue with that. Just taking a jab at their fake sellout streak.

Reactions: Ree4
Explain. Curious how many points you think SDSU will score against the Hawkeye defense. SDSU runs an offense that can cause problems but they haven't seen a trio of LBs that Iowa will play.

I don't see the Jacks scoring 20 points vs. Iowa unless the Hawks gift them scores off of turnovers. On offense, Iowa is going to pound the ground - very predicble but SDSU is going to get plowed into the ground IMO..

This is exactly why I am nervous. How well will we move the ball? We have strugggled against teams like SDSU many times early in the season before. The offensive line makes me nervous. I like both Williams RBs and think Gavin will run hard but there has to be something there. Don't trust throwing the ball. It may not take 20 points to win this game.

I see a 28 point beat. And about 60 run plays for the Hawks. The WIlliams run for over 100 each.
Could happen. Don't know that there has been a line released for the game, but would imagine it's not anywhere near 28. SDSU was better than a number of teams Iowa played last year, some of which were close games.

This is exactly why I am nervous. How well will we move the ball? We have strugggled against teams like SDSU many times early in the season before. The offensive line makes me nervous. I like both Williams RBs and think Gavin will run hard but there has to be something there. Don't trust throwing the ball. It may not take 20 points to win this game.
I guess that was my point as well. SDSU might be able to score 13 or 14...can't see much more wihout gift points because the Iowa defense is that good IMO.

Your concern is well taken. All the major question marks for Iowa are on offense. On paper, SDSU's defense is decent; I just think that Iowa will grind them down. Interestingly, their secondary is a bit suspect so we'll see if Iowa can capitalize. I see a 24-13 type game..... a Ferentz "wokmanlike" season opener performnce.

Apparently you missed this so I'll put it here for ya.... and that was with Beathard, not Petras. After 23 seasons anyone who follows college fb should know that being first game and with a crap offensive philosophy like Kirk's anything is possible

Edit: I think Hawks win but it being very close or a L won't shock me one bit

Reactions: Hawkfan_08

You and I had very different groups around then. They talked trash the whole time.

You can say what you want about Nebraska football (and I will join you) but their fans are loyal. This will be a game with lot's of red with a huge celebration ongoing if Frosty is fired by then.
FIFY..

Agreed, the combination of our stout defense and our punishing running game will take its toll by the middle of the third quarter. SDSU will be more than happy to get out of IC.

Apparently you missed this so I'll put it here for ya.... and that was with Beathard, not Petras. After 23 seasons anyone who follows college fb should know that being first game and with a crap offensive philosophy like Kirk's anything is possible

NDSU beat Iowa.
therefore,
SDSU will beat Iowa

Sorry, I don't buy that logic. Different teams, different years.

Everyone knows upsets are possible. MIchign lost to Appalachain State., James Madison beat Virginia Tech, UNLV lost to Howard, the list goes on.....

SDSU may win. If they do, it will have absolutely nothing to do with 2016 NDSU.

NDSU beat Iowa.
therefore,
SDSU will beat Iowa

Everyone knows upsets are possible. MIchign lost to Appalachain State., James Madison beat Virginia Tech, UNLV lost to Howard, the list goes on.....

Agreed. It will have more to do with 2000 and 2007 Western Michigan. Those Broncos own the Hawks!

NDSU beat Iowa.
therefore,
SDSU will beat Iowa

Memba' when Illinois State was good and they were gonna come whip on us?????

Should have left Stanley in. His few plays were great.

Was that Boone Myers out there at LT that let his guy fly in and get to CJB and ended up with the pick 6?

And damn, I didn't realize how bad we were at stopping their running game that day.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hawkfan_08
NDSU beat Iowa.
therefore,
SDSU will beat Iowa

And it will likely have a lot to do with Iowa having a non-existent offense.

KF remembers the NDSU game in 2016 and knows better than to take the Jacks lightly. Iowa’s defense is borderline elite and SDSU will likely struggle on offense. However, Iowa was really, really, really bad on the other side of the ball and couldn’t shred even the weakest of defenses.

I hope Iowa can find something that works and sticks with it because I don’t want to look at the stat line Sunday morning and see that they took 54 offensive snaps for 285 offensive yards and converted 28 percent of their 3rd down opportunities, even if they won.

Reactions: nu2u

No way Iowa loses to SDSU… yes, we dropped the ball a few years back against NDSU … I think this is a different Iowa team with a much better defense … 35-10

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT