ADVERTISEMENT

SDSU is a confident group.

The X factor in this game will be the jankey receiver group for Iowa vs the Janke receiver group for SDSU.

I have tried to evaluate this SDSU team and compare it to the NDSU squad that defeated Iowa in 2016. I expect this to be a good SDSU team, but I do not think that they are as good as the 2016 NDSU squad. The most notable difference, I think, is in the size of the SDSU front 7 on defense. The biggest SDSU starting linebacker is listed at 215 lbs. NDSU had a Butkus nominee middle linebacker who was 245 lbs, and two 290 lb DTs in front of him. The SDSU DTs are 6-1 270 and likely 6-4 280.

Offensively, the NDSU OL was massive. The guards were 331 and 322 lbs. SDSU has an experienced left side of the OL, but they are not as big. 305 for the LT, and a little under 300 for the LG. The right side of the line new to starting roles.

Simply put, I do not expect SDSU to maul us in the trenches like NDSU did. SDSU does have 2 large and experienced TEs, which will help them match up physically against Iowa. But I do not think that their OL can stymie our DL the way that NDSU did in 2016. Factoring in the TEs, I think that the skill players are fairly comparable between SDSU and NDSU, even though SDSU loses Pierre Strong and Chris Oladakun off of last year's squad.
I was just getting ready to write about the lack of size of SDSU's front seven, especially the linebackers. Great point!

I can imagine a pretty generic offense on Saturday.

After the game, the biggest question will be...
A. Did Iowa play conservative to not reveal much to future opponents or
B. Is there no progress from a 4th year QB and how troublesome are the injuries on the OLine?
I agree with you that I believe we will see a pretty generic offense on Saturday. However, I think the biggest question will be if the running game is improved or not. The SDSU defense appears to roughly be a smaller and less talented defense than the Iowa defense, as both play a 4-3, don't blitz a lot and play 2 high safeties most of the time. So if Iowa does not run the ball effectively and at will against this team, then there is zero reason to think that the running game is improved. If Iowa runs effectively, then the biggest question is can they do it against a more talented defense.

Reactions: amahawk
When you read all the press coming out of Brookins, SD these days...they expect to come in here and beat Iowa. They are a confident team...especially the QB who returns to the fold this year after missing last year. He was saying they have one of the best offenses in FBS, FCS, or whatever league you want to discuss. It doesn't matter...they are going to score on everyone.

This kid was a good runner before the injury. As we all know...our LBs/Cash like to drop in coverage quickly and historically running QBs have given us fits because often we aren't accounting for the QB, unless he starts hurting us. I think this team is going to be a really good tune up for ISU. They are going to be able to challenge our defense...of that I'm sure.
Probably. Wouldn't be BAU Iowa otherwise...........

All the more reason for SDSU to not try hard to win on Saturday. Gotta throw Iowa a frickin bone here.....

I get why many are optimistic but SDSU is not a bad team, regardless of level. No, they aren't Alabama like many are sarcastically pointing out but we lose to teams like SDSU on a semi-regular basis.

Iowa still has a ton of question marks on offense and you know we are going to try and just run all game. That inevitably makes the game close out of the gate.

We need to get pressure on the QB and make him beat us with his arm... would love to see some more press coverage. Contain better be ready!

Thus far I really like the SDS Fans as they have been nothing but classy … so they have a good team? Hell yes they do as you don’t see many programs do what they have done in idk how long - they will definitely be fired up for the Hawks and they should be - the issue is Iowa’s defense is most likely the BEST defense in the country this year and I don’t think SDS will score more than a field goal- that’s the facts jack

Some of you need to grow a pair and crawl out from beneath the table and stop sucking your thumbs. A big part of the college football celebration is anticipating your team putting a whoop ass on the next opponent. If you guys are worried about this team then you better bubble wrap yourselves because the going doesn't get any easier. We're going in with no lube so stop your sniffling.

I want to see the offense do something!
^This. The Iowa offense needs to build player confidence and enthusiasm. I don’t think the first-game, ultra vanilla approach is what is needed Saturday.

Also, people are overthinking this. SDSU is not a cupcake and won’t lie down for Iowa, but this is a game Iowa should win handily. The reality is Iowa is one of those weird teams who can beat about anyone and can lose to about anyone. If Iowa comes to play and has the attitude of something to prove, they’ll win by three touchdowns or more. If it’s another ho hum effort against an inferior opponent, they’ll be in for a dogfight. It’s that simple.

Some of you need to grow a pair and crawl out from beneath the table and stop sucking your thumbs. A big part of the college football celebration is anticipating your team putting a whoop ass on the next opponent. If you guys are worried about this team then you better bubble wrap yourselves because the going doesn't get any easier. We're going in with no lube so stop your sniffling.
^This.

Reactions: BUCKSNDUCKS
I can imagine a pretty generic offense on Saturday.

After the game, the biggest question will be...
A. Did Iowa play conservative to not reveal much to future opponents or
B. Is there no progress from a 4th year QB and how troublesome are the injuries on the OLine?
or C: How were you able to dominate the LOS, win the turnover battle, and have favorable field position situations, which allowed you to play conservatively?

I get why many are optimistic but SDSU is not a bad team, regardless of level. No, they aren't Alabama like many are sarcastically pointing out but we lose to teams like SDSU on a semi-regular basis.
Semi-regular basis?

Over the last 5 years Iowa has lost to Michigan, PSU, Mich State, Wisconsin, Kentucky, NW, and Purdue. Which of those is a team like SDSU?

Reactions: desihawk

Iowa still has a ton of question marks on offense and you know we are going to try and just run all game. That inevitably makes the game close out of the gate.

We need to get pressure on the QB and make him beat us with his arm... would love to see some more press coverage. Contain better be ready!
The bolded is a stretch. Just looking at all non-conference games and going back to 2015, the Hawks are 18-1. I wouldn't call that 1 loss "semi-regularly".

SDSU is a very good team. I feel like Iowa should beat them, but one never knows. The posts in this thread are readily like the thread leading up to our game vs the Bison.

Is it strange that I'm more concerned about this game than the ISU game?

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
Last year EVERYONE thought they should've beaten us and we went 10-2 and won the West. The new kicker might be an issue as we leaned so heavily last year on getting FGs from Shudak. New receivers usually means a few drops along the way. This game won't be easy but I still think we win by 14. But SD State will probably leave thinking they should've beaten us anyway.

or C: How were you able to dominate the LOS, win the turnover battle, and have favorable field position situations, which allowed you to play conservatively?
I hope to hell that you're right.

Recent history says it won't be "C".

Over the last 6 meetings, SDSU is 3-3 versus Northern Iowa. Perhaps that might offer some perspective?

Whenever the Hawks play UNI ... we know that we'll always get their best shot. We also understand that UNI is a darn fine program with talented players. However, all the same, we still expect that if the Hawks play good football ... that a Hawk victory is still the most likely scenario.

When I look at the SDSU match-up, I'm split. My "fear" reaction is to look at the '09 game against UNI or the '16 game against NDSU. Perhaps a more measured reaction is to look at games like the '15 Illinois State game or the '17 Wyoming game?

One thing I know, is that in terms of experience, depth, and talent ... finding a comp for the '22 front 7 is tough. I almost feel like you'd have to go back to 2003 ... but, even then, without the benefit of hindsight, I don't know if any of us would have predicted that Greenway and Hodge would have been THAT good!

Some might think that the '17 D could be a decent comp ... the DL seemed to have some depth and we had a trio of SR starters at LB, headlined by Josey Jewell. However, the problem with that comp is that our DTs were a "work in progress" that season apart from Nate Bazata.

Maybe the front 7 of the '09 as a comp? Boy was that DL tough ... arguably more talent than the '22 group. However, the '09 DL had 2 new starters and the depth of the group wasn't particularly stellar. The '22 DL can operate with AT LEAST a 10-man rotation ... the group WILL NOT tire down.

Anyhow, while I definitely respect SDSU and the game gives me some concerns - one thing that does allay some of my concerns is this ...
  • When SDSU played Minnesota close in '19, they rushed for 174 yards ... averaging over 5 yards a pop!
  • When Colorado State lost to SDSU in '21, SDSU rushed for 242 yards ... averaging over 7 yards a pop!
If the Hawks get gashed badly on the ground against SDSU - then they will have deserved to lose. However, I'm pretty confident in the ability of the Hawk D to contain the rushing attack of pretty much ANY team.

I just think with this elite defense and with a competent running game, Iowa wins comfortably. They don't need to throw the ball around the field to win this.

PS I’m pretty sure the other Dakota team that beat us a few years back, had won a few championships compared to this other Dakota team. . .
SDSU is also 4-4 against the other Dakota team the last 8 meetings so just because they aren't winning the titles, they are right there in ability.

We do? Who? What FCS team other than NDSU has Iowa lost to? And semi-regular what does that mean in hard numbers?

Reactions: Ree4

lol what?

We're message board fans. Posts on this board have no influence on the outcome of the game. To say that "Iowa fans are too cocky and it's going to cost Iowa," is pure comedy.
There are people who believe that shit. Good luck charms and boogie men. Curses and jinxes. People who believe what happened in 2016 impacts what happens Saturday, lol.

This is a no excuses game . It is the first game for BOTH teams.It is at Kinnick. Ferentz and company better be ready

Reactions: HFan1981
Even if folks look at the '16 game against NDSU ... the Hawks didn't have 2 of their top offensive linemen (Welsh and Daniels) and our rotation on the DL was essentially limited to just 6 guys. Thus, for a team that prides itself on line play ... we had a bunch of issues that day.

All the same, the Hawks entered the 4th quarter with a 21-14 lead on NDSU. The problem was that we gave up 9 unanswered points ... and lost by 2 points!

NDSU is a darn fine program ... and even they were an underdog against the Hawks. It took heroics for them to eventually win the game too ... in a nail-biter.

QB coming off a major surgery

Phil Parker
pa79yadkfl831.png
Michael Penix rings a bell.

Last sentence - going vile eliminates any attempt at being witty. Grow up

Guessing Iowa's defense scores more points than the Iowa offense.

Can PP's guys duplicate the takeaway numbers from last year?

Nothing I've heard in the preseason makes me think the OLINE and SP are improved.
The OL (and run game) looked a lot better on Kid's Day this year than they did last year. Yes, that is one day but that is what the common fan has to go by. Also, remember the Offense is playing against one of the best D's in the nation every practice.

Reactions: Ree4
ADVERTISEMENT