ADVERTISEMENT

SDSU is a confident group.

The OL (and run game) looked a lot better on Kid's Day this year than they did last year. Yes, that is one day but that is what the common fan has to go by. Also, remember the Offense is playing against one of the best D's in the nation every practice.
There is no "downfield threat" with the current situation.

That's a problem. And last year, SP could not make the throw even when guys did get open.

We're going to find out soon enough if SP has improved.

There is no "downfield threat" with the current situation.

That's a problem. And last year, SP could not make the throw even when guys did get open.

We're going to find out soon enough if SP has improved.
That's just not true. He made a number of nice throws downfield when he had time. The first half of the year he was getting less than 2 seconds to throw a lot of the time. The OT's were turnstiles and Goodson was terrible on blitz pick-up.

Yes, he missed some and definitely is not perfect. But to say he is incapable just isn't true.

You are right, we will find out soon enough. Saying anything definitively at this point doesn't make sense. I am guessing there isn't going to be a ton to go off of from this first game.

That's just not true. He made a number of nice throws downfield when he had time. The first half of the year he was getting less than 2 seconds to throw a lot of the time. The OT's were turnstiles and Goodson was terrible on blitz pick-up.

Yes, he missed some and definitely is not perfect. But to say he is incapable just isn't true.

You are right, we will find out soon enough. Saying anything definitively at this point doesn't make sense. I am guessing there isn't going to be a ton to go off of from this first game.
The Iowa offense this year will look like last years, and the year before that, and the year before that.

SP will be tasked with getting 1 or 2 first downs, and then hope Taylor punts it inside the 20. There... you either get a defensive takeaway or force a punt to midfield... followed by an Iowa field goal attempt from 40-45 yards.

Nothing else has changed. SP seldom has more than MAYBE one long drive a game.

And like I said... I hope to hell I can "eat some crow" this season.

The Iowa offense this year will look like last years, and the year before that, and the year before that.

SP will be tasked with getting 1 or 2 first downs, and then hope Taylor punts it inside the 20. There... you either get a defensive takeaway or force a punt to midfield... followed by an Iowa field goal attempt from 40-45 yards.

SP's stats last 6 games of 2020 (after getting his feet wet in the first 2 losses as a starter). With a stronger OL and better overall run game than 2021.

60% Completion, 4-1 TD/INT. If Iowa gets that from SP (or AP), that is probably a pretty good sign the Offense is more efficient and closer to 2020 than last year. Iowa can win a LOT of games with that type of production at QB, especially with strengths everywhere else.

The Offense was different in 2020 to 2021. It just was. I get the pessimism - and I doubt Iowa is going to be some juggernaut on Offense - but an Offense closer to 2020 will make Iowa a very tough team to beat.

32020-11-07IowaMichigan StateW152755.616710119.71-1-1.00
42020-11-13Iowa@MinnesotaW91850.011111109.03144.70
52020-11-21Iowa@Penn StateW182864.318600120.17-18-2.61
62020-11-27IowaNebraskaW183060.019311118.4661.00
72020-12-05Iowa@IllinoisW182864.322030165.64-8-2.00
82020-12-12IowaWisconsinW14
25​
56.0​
211​
2​
0​

Well I for one am hoping that it looks like anything but last year. If not, then that will be very disappointing although not entirely surprising.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
I'll be there doing my part, but anyone who has attended an 11am non-Power 5 game in Kinnick in September knows that is not going to happen.
And it doesn't help when people are just getting back into drinking shape and will overdo it like people working out on January 2, and the sun will bake as early September sun does.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
When you read all the press coming out of Brookins, SD these days...they expect to come in here and beat Iowa. They are a confident team...especially the QB who returns to the fold this year after missing last year. He was saying they have one of the best offenses in FBS, FCS, or whatever league you want to discuss. It doesn't matter...they are going to score on everyone.

This kid was a good runner before the injury. As we all know...our LBs/Cash like to drop in coverage quickly and historically running QBs have given us fits because often we aren't accounting for the QB, unless he starts hurting us. I think this team is going to be a really good tune up for ISU. They are going to be able to challenge our defense...of that I'm sure.
This is a broken record. Every year, whatever shitty team we play, says the same thing. I'm not saying it's impossible, but Iowa has played a lot of games against DII schools and has only lost 1. ever. I sincerely doubt this weekend will = 2. Hawks by 4 touchdowns.

Again ….a lot of very unintelligent fans on here. Could Iowa win easily…..sure! But probably not …..it has nothing to do with the Hawks not playing well. It has more to do with people underestimating a very good opponent. All of the players on this SD. Team years ago would have been division 1 players. They all have chips on there shoulders and the SD coaches will have them fired up. This is one reason why coaches don’t want there players on social media……the last think you want them to do is read crap like this and think they’ll be winning easily!
It's not that we're unintelligent. I believe they are a very good team in DII, but we've heard this shit over and over and over again when playing these types of opponents. It very rarely equates to reality on Saturday. I don't believe this team will be much better than the top 5 UNI teams that we've thrashed throughout the years. Yes, they made a game of it one year, but I would argue that Iowa, in fact, made that a game. Iowa, I believe, has one of the top defenses in college football. That will be the BIG difference. We are going to roll these guys. I don't care how many light weights they beat on. Their stepping up the the heavy weights this weekend.

Reactions: Ree4
Semi-regular basis?

Over the last 5 years Iowa has lost to Michigan, PSU, Mich State, Wisconsin, Kentucky, NW, and Purdue. Which of those is a team like SDSU?
He is probably looking at Kirk’s tenure as a whole, which include losses to the likes of Western Michigan and Central Michigan.

LOL. When geniuses on this board call others unintelligent and then go on to make 3rd-grade level spelling and grammatical errors, that's as sweet as it gets.

• Haha
Reactions: Hawkfan_08
He is probably looking at Kirk’s tenure as a whole, which include losses to the likes of Western Michigan and Central Michigan.
Yeah, a couple in 23 years from the only two teams not to make a bowl post-2000. I don't think anyone in their right mind believes this Iowa team will be anywhere close to those teams.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
Yeah, a couple in 23 years from the only two teams not to make a bowl post-2000. I don't think anyone in their right mind believes this Iowa team will be anywhere close to those teams.
One of those losses actually kept us from a bowl game (2007 vs Western Michigan).

It's not that we're unintelligent. I believe they are a very good team in DII, but we've heard this shit over and over and over again when playing these types of opponents. It very rarely equates to reality on Saturday. I don't believe this team will be much better than the top 5 UNI teams that we've thrashed throughout the years. Yes, they made a game of it one year, but I would argue that Iowa, in fact, made that a game. Iowa, I believe, has one of the top defenses in college football. That will be the BIG difference. We are going to roll these guys. I don't care how many light weights they beat on. Their stepping up the the heavy weights this weekend.
HOw did CSU do vs Iowa's D last year compared to SDSU?

CSU vs Iowa 95 rushing

CSU vs SDSU 125 rushing.

Again, I see SDSU emphasizing stop the run and make SP beat them (especially with primary WR targets gone). Will SDSU be able to move the ball on our D, I would not expect with any consistency. Iowa plays soft, SDSU will take the 5-8yd routes all day and get into a FG battle with Iowa.

One of those losses actually kept us from a bowl game (2007 vs Western Michigan).
I know ... my point is those were the two worst teams Ferentz has had (not counting the first two years of his tenure as he rebuilt the team from scratch).

Where the talent and team is right now is light years better than where it was in 2007 (there was talent but very young) and 2012 (which is by far the worst team Iowa has had in over 20 years).

Reactions: BrewHawk
LOL. When geniuses on this board call others unintelligent and then go on to make 3rd-grade level spelling and grammatical errors, that's as sweet as it gets.
You got kids in school? That is the state of our education system right now. They do not emphasize spelling as the administrators at school told us, most people use a word processor with spell check now. True story and in the last few years.

You got kids in school? That is the state of our education system right now. They do not emphasize spelling as the administrators at school told us, most people use a word processor with spell check now. True story and in the last few years.
I’m not sure what your point is. Is that supposed to make me feel better or worse? I guarantee you none of my kids have made the spelling/grammar error that was referred to since they were < 10 years old, word processor with spell check or not. I think my point stands as to the irony of the situation.

Reactions: BBHawk
I’m not sure what your point is. Is that supposed to make me feel better or worse? I guarantee you none of my kids have made the spelling/grammar error that was referred to since they were < 10 years old, word processor with spell check or not. I think my point stands as to the irony of the situation.
Okay Mr. English teacher. Don't you ever misspell anything or we all are gonna jump your ass. Whoops is gonna a real word? We won't care what your point is, we will just make shit out of your because for the love of God you misspelled a word.

Well, that's complete bullshit.

There/their/they're is one of the most common grammatical errors in English writing, and nearly *everyone* makes it from time to time. It's not that they truly don't know the difference, they're just typing out a quick reply and not proofreading.

Could Iowa win easily…..sure! But probably not …..it has nothing to do with the Hawks not playing well. It has more to do with people underestimating a very good opponent.

So if we fans underestimate the opponent then the football team will react accordingly and lose???

Reactions: BBHawk
Well, that's complete bullshit.

There/their/they're is one of the most common grammatical errors in English writing, and nearly *everyone* makes it from time to time. It's not that they truly don't know the difference, they're just typing out a quick reply and not proofreading.
Nothing in my post was untrue.

Maybe people who are going to be calling others on a message board "unintelligent" should be more careful with what they've typed or dictated before posting. Then they wouldn't be making themselves a legitimate target of ridicule.

Reactions: dandh
Nothing in my post was untrue.

Maybe people who are going to be calling others on a message board "unintelligent" should be more careful with what they've typed or dictated before posting. Then they wouldn't be making themselves a legitimate target of ridicule.
You should take your own advice. *Guaranteeing* your kids have *never* made an extremely common grammatical error since ten years old is a ridiculous claim. You're bearing out the theory that arrogance and ignorance go hand in hand.

I can’t wait until we punch them right in the mouth ! POW! , buncha pansies here ;)

7f4f0cc8-8ee8-4410-b3f7-53a360cd404c_text.gif

• Haha
Reactions: cm8124
You should take your own advice. *Guaranteeing* your kids have *never* made an extremely common grammatical error since ten years old is a ridiculous claim. You're bearing out the theory that arrogance and ignorance go hand in hand.
I’m not the least bit surprised that you can’t fathom a well-educated family.

The dude insulted the intelligence of a lot of people in this thread, and then went on to make elementary school level grammar/spelling errors. Can’t you just find funny and ironic the way I do?

Thus far I really like the SDS Fans as they have been nothing but classy … so they have a good team? Hell yes they do as you don’t see many programs do what they have done in idk how long - they will definitely be fired up for the Hawks and they should be - the issue is Iowa’s defense is most likely the BEST defense in the country this year and I don’t think SDS will score more than a field goal- that’s the facts jack
This is funny. SDSU fans are the worst I've come across. They're like a cross between Nebraska and ISU fans, arrogant yet ignorant and haven't accomplished anything on their own but ride the coattails of others by association. They gravy train NDSU so bad it's sickening. They think they are equivalent to NDSU and they are not even close.

NDSU beat Iowa years ago because that program has championship pedigree and believes and knows they will win. SDSU, while good, does not have that finishing instinct. SDSU is like playing an upper level MAC team and if Iowa executes and plays like they are capable the Hawkeyes should walk away with an 18-24 point win.

The only outcomes of this game that would actually surprise me is a high-scoring blowout win for us and a high-scoring blowout win for them. I could see pretty much anything else happening.

ADVERTISEMENT