ADVERTISEMENT

Sean Salisbury Quote on Coaching Staff Selection

IowasLaw

HR All-State
Nov 19, 2019
He makes a good point today on twitter. Was he talking directly to Kirk?

Sean Salisbury

"I have a brilliant idea for head football coaches. Start getting comfortable being uncomfortable. Grow a set of balls and hire some more coaches who think differently than you, and are not just your buddy! You ask your players to adapt, try doing the same thing. Change is good!"

It's amazing that every player Iowa recruits is asked to evolve, improve, and adapt...yet the coaching staff is required to have group think and play not to lose.

Sean Salisbury

"I have a brilliant idea for head football coaches. Start getting comfortable being uncomfortable. Grow a set of balls and hire some more coaches who think differently than you, and are not just your buddy! You ask your players to adapt, try doing the same thing. Change is good!"

It's amazing that every player Iowa recruits is asked to evolve, improve, and adapt...yet the coaching staff is required to have group think and play not to lose.
Agree 100%

Sean Salisbury

Why is it amazing? That's how things work in real life. Do you do things your boss doesn't want you too. If you owned your own business, would you want your employees to ignore you and just do what they want? Group think in management is actually a good thing. Do you want one boss telling you to do one thing and then his boss telling you to do something else? Oh, and change isn't always good. Did Poland think it was good when Germany invaded. Highly doubtful.

Why is it amazing? That's how things work in real life. Do you do things your boss doesn't want you too. If you owned your own business, would you want your employees to ignore you and just do what they want? Group think in management is actually a good thing. Do you want one boss telling you to do one thing and then his boss telling you to do something else? Oh, and change isn't always good. Did Poland think it was good when Germany invaded. Highly doubtful.
What are you even talking about?

If you owned your own business, would you want your employees to ignore you and just do what they want?
You can think differently while also having the same goals. Actually that's the whole point.... to hire or surround yourself with people with various backgrounds/experiences/differences. From there, you can formulate the best route/goals.
Do you want one boss telling you to do one thing and then his boss telling you to do something else?
That's not even close to what the quote is actually saying. Again.... its healthy to disagree with your boss and provide your own opinion without being a "yes man".
Did Poland think it was good when Germany invaded.?
How about coming up with an example that's not completely un-related to "change is bad"?

As an owner, you hire people that are smarter than you, that challenge you, that improve your business. If you only hire yes men, then you are doomed.

Sean Salisbury

Kirk can get comfortable. He can because his "formula" of whatever this winning is, works. This formula, shit here, would be successful at Rutgers. At UConn. At Nevada. For it tho change, he has to believe there is another way to win consistently l. Right now, I don't see it.

Really, why? I was too? 20 plus years and although I have much to add on this matter, I’m not going to give an empowered speech, I’d like to hear what you have to say?
Because all I was saying is groupthink by its definition is negative. Maybe the guy I quoted doesn't understand what groupthink is, but if he does and thinks it's actually a good thing for management, then that is why I said I hope he isn't in management (for the sake of the rest of his company). Sorry, no speeches tonight cm.

Because all I was saying is groupthink by its definition is negative. Maybe the guy I quoted doesn't understand what groupthink is, but if he does and thinks it's actually a good thing for management, then that is why I said I hope he isn't in management (for the sake of the rest of his company). Sorry, no speeches tonight cm.
I actually agree, group think is generally bad, but that’s not the same thing as status quo!

Just remember that there is more than one way to be successful - there is no one right way.

Also, it's pretty easy for a TV analyst to talk "Take a risk!", and "Go for it!", when he has nothing to lose by saying it.
Always easy to sit on the outside and critique when you have NO skin in the game. I've made the statement before about Jerry Dinardo on the B1G shows and some of his gems about what successful coaches should do, and yet the guy won about 15% of the games he coached.

Sean Salisbury

Who??????

Sean Salisbury

Bingo

Group think in management is not good. It’s actually very bad.

Just remember that there is more than one way to be successful - there is no one right way.

Also, it's pretty easy for a TV analyst to talk "Take a risk!", and "Go for it!", when he has nothing to lose by saying it.
Your'e right. I really don't care what Sean Salisbury thinks.

Reactions: kceasthawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT