ADVERTISEMENT

Seasoning steak, before or after grilling?

A

anon_snp6dc585nnj4

I have never heard of seasoning post-grill but recently read about it. Is this a new concept from grilling aficionados?

I was looking for a caveman cooking gif and believe it or not ran into this.....

giphy.gif
What were we talking about?

Pat of butter, nothing else. Salt & pepper before grilling. Also, depending upon the cut and quality of the beef, maybe other seasonings, especially a bit of garlic powder.

Slather it with margarine, cinnamon, and turmeric before grilling. Enjoy with yellow mustard, or french dressing when done.

Olive oil, salt and pepper. Let protein sit for 10-15 minutes. Salt and pepper again, than place on grill.

First round of seasoning will penetrate the protein, second layer of seasoning will hit the taste buds immediately.

You get the hit of the first layer of seasoning, then the protein is mildly seasoned throughout. It's a nice transition and how most professional kitchens season their proteins.

Reactions: naturalmwa
Olive oil, salt and pepper. Let protein sit for 10-15 protein minutes. Salt and pepper again, than place protein on grill.

First round of protein seasoning will penetrate the protein, second layer of protein seasoning will hit the taste buds immediately.

You get the hit of the first layer of protein seasoning, then the protein is mildly seasoned throughout. It's a nice transition and how most professional kitchens protein season their proteins.

FIFY

I have a coffee cowboy rub I massage into the steaks before I grill them. They are not on the grill for long because I like em Medium rare.

I will season steak with olive oil and a little sea salt prior to grilling, but rarely anything after. The only thing I've put on afterward is a good chimichurri. If you have to put on steak sauce then you're doing something wrong.

It depends....

On a great cut of beef (filet, ribeye) no

I like lesser quality cuts to be pretty heavily seasoned and find to much pepper before the cook can create a burnt taste. For that trason I always do before and after.

I don't marinate steak because I don't want to kill the flavor of delicious Cow. If you're marinating please stop buying shitty cuts of beef.

Reactions: SailorJerryHawk
It makes me sad inside that most of you guys can't see the beauty in variety. Like; topping lean cuts with crusted bleu, a flank rolled with prosciutto and herbs, a balsamic reduction on a mid rare skirt, or just a bechamel with mushrooms and peppercorns on almost anything.

Reactions: HotelAlphaWilcoKilo
Best answer belongs to:

Lone Clone, "Pat of butter, nothing else. Salt & pepper before grilling. Also, depending upon the cut and quality of the beef, maybe other seasonings, especially a bit of garlic powder."

Best answer belongs to:

Lone Clone, "Pat of butter, nothing else. Salt & pepper before grilling. Also, depending upon the cut and quality of the beef, maybe other seasonings, especially a bit of garlic powder."

I haven't even busted out my best yet. A dollop of sour cream, a dollop of mayonnaise, with a spritz of liquid salt, lime, and soy sauce. Microwave for 5 minutes. Enjoy with ketchup or ranch dressing.

I haven't even busted out my best yet. A dollop of sour cream, a dollop of mayonnaise, with a spritz of liquid salt, lime, and soy sauce. Microwave for 5 minutes. Enjoy with ketchup or ranch dressing.

As delicious as this sounds, I'm a little unsure of liquid salt. Haven't heard of that before. :rolleyes:

First, I suppose it depends on what type of steak you like. I grill steak about 3 times a week throughout the year and most of the time I fix beef tenderloin fillets.

I select the leanest cuts possible, and when the butcher has extra meat I will ask for fresh center cut fillets. He knows I be asking, and whenever he has opened packages of beef tenderloin (once the seal is broken, the meat is exposed to air and turns dark, or “aged”) he prepares the aged center cut fillets. The “aged” meat has a more gritty texture and distinctively dark flavor.

I use Lawery’s Season Salt, Lawery’s Seasoned Pepper, and Garlic Salt. And that’s all. Evenly, not too much. I apply to both sides, either immediately before putting on the grill, or preferably, ½ to 1 hr before.

Pre heat grill to 450. Sear on one side, then the other. If you don’t, you lose. Lock in those juices. Don’t overcook it. It is the best money can buy.

To each their own, but if you have to burn your meat before you eat it, don’t spend $25.00 per pound for good meat. Go to McDonalds. Buy cheap hamburger, hotdogs.

First, I suppose it depends on what type of steak you like. I grill steak about 3 times a week throughout the year and most of the time I fix beef tenderloin fillets.

I select the leanest cuts possible, and when the butcher has extra meat I will ask for fresh center cut fillets. He knows I be asking, and whenever he has opened packages of beef tenderloin (once the seal is broken, the meat is exposed to air and turns dark, or “aged”) he prepares the aged center cut fillets. The “aged” meat has a more gritty texture and distinctively dark flavor.

I use Lawery’s Season Salt, Lawery’s Seasoned Pepper, and Garlic Salt. And that’s all. Evenly, not too much. I apply to both sides, either immediately before putting on the grill, or preferably, ½ to 1 hr before.

Pre heat grill to 450. Sear on one side, then the other. If you don’t, you lose. Lock in those juices. Don’t overcook it. It is the best money can buy.

To each their own, but if you have to burn your meat before you eat it, don’t spend $25.00 per pound for good meat. Go to McDonalds. Buy cheap hamburger, hotdogs.

I am not sure if we should respond to this like it is serious or an epic troll.

I like a nice filet as much as the next guy but I wouldn't eat it as often as this.

I am not sure if we should respond to this like it is serious or an epic troll.

I like a nice filet as much as the next guy but I wouldn't eat it as often as this.

You are right. I meant 3 times a month. Yes I like it that much, but once a week is more like it,

Last edited:
People who put steak sauce on good meat: Scum of the Earth.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT