ADVERTISEMENT

Sebolt Expands to IC

Interesting… seein that TJ and Dylan are brothers.

Either is is amicable or it could get interesting. I am a huge Carew fan as well, so it will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

TJ and Dylan are not brothers. I think you meant brother in laws
I did not know that! 🤦‍♂️
I guess the last names is what confused me and that anyone that knows anything about wrestling knows that Dylan married TJ’s sister.
But some people do get hung up on how things are written in a chat room post 🤷‍♂️

Interesting… seein that TJ and Dylan are brothers.

Either is is amicable or it could get interesting. I am a huge Carew fan as well, so it will be interesting to see how it all plays out.
Wasn't Carew the one pumping up the PSU program in a promotional video a month or so ago? Someone also alluded to him and his staff having some issues with the Iowa staff.

I, for one, love seeing this. Sebolt already was the premier club in the state and this just widened the gap.

Sebolt was working out of the ISU facilities at one point but it didn't stick. Not sure what the deal was.
Covid happened, the school shut down facilities and TJ needed to keep things going. So he got a great deal in Jefferson.

• Haha
Reactions: 515Clone
Big Game isn't going anywhere. Plenty of kids to go around for those two clubs. I would be weary for smaller clubs like DC Elite and even the better local mat clubs.
Yeah I don't see Big Game going anywhere. Sebolt is more selective in who he takes. Big Game has a ton of kids, maybe too many. DC hasn't been an elite club for years now.

Yeah I don't see Big Game going anywhere. Sebolt is more selective in who he takes. Big Game has a ton of kids, maybe too many. DC hasn't been an elite club for years now.
This was the case until he opened up the silver class. Though not sure if that will be a thing in the Iowa City area.

Reactions: 515Clone
Big Game isn't going anywhere. Plenty of kids to go around for those two clubs. I would be weary for smaller clubs like DC Elite and even the better local mat clubs.

Was referring more to influence than existence.

Gotta figure some kids planning on Big Game now go with Sebolt.

This development certainly doesn't hurt Iowa.

Reactions: el dub
Gotta figure some kids planning on Big Game now go with Sebolt.

This development certainly doesn't hurt Iowa.
It doesn’t hurt if these guys turn out to be D1 All-Americans, and I hope they do because we’re filling our roster with them.

Carew and Brands didn’t get along when he was at Iowa. Carew never took his rehab seriously and constantly skipped his appointments, Brands wanted to free up his scholarship money by medically retiring, Carew didn’t trust the team doctors because they thought they would kill his career.

Carew and Brands didn’t get along when he was at Iowa. Carew never took his rehab seriously and constantly skipped his appointments, Brands wanted to free up his scholarship money by medically retiring, Carew didn’t trust the team doctors because they thought they would kill his career.

How would the doctors kill his career? Or are you saying he thought Brands was scheming with the doctors to medically retire him so they could free up scholarship funds? I'm not quite following.

How would the doctors kill his career? Or are you saying he thought Brands was scheming with the doctors to medically retire him so they could free up scholarship funds? I'm not quite following.
Sometimes you get individuals that think they are smarter than everyone else...

Carew thought they wouldn’t medically clear him and would say he should never compete again because of how ****ed his legs were and how behind schedule he was after the last surgery (partly because he kept skipping rehab and check-in appointments)

Brands did want him to medically retire to free up the money, but I don’t think the doctors would have conspired with him to medically retire him, that’s more just a young kid lashing out in frustration. Brands more just wanted him out of the room, Carew wasn’t very mature at the time (not a bad person) and it wasn’t a great culture fit.

It’s a shame because Carew is one of the most fun wrestlers I ever saw.

Carew thought they wouldn’t medically clear him and would say he should never compete again because of how ****ed his legs were and how behind schedule he was after the last surgery (partly because he kept skipping rehab and check-in appointments)

Brands did want him to medically retire to free up the money, but I don’t think the doctors would have conspired with him to medically retire him, that’s more just a young kid lashing out in frustration. Brands more just wanted him out of the room, Carew wasn’t very mature at the time (not a bad person) and it wasn’t a great culture fit.

It’s a shame because Carew is one of the most fun wrestlers I ever saw.

Thanks for the explanation.

He's definitely one of those guys where it would've been fun to see what he could've done if healthy. I think he would've been pretty good at the D1 level. Injuries like that are such a shame. Also a shame he didn't take rehab seriously if that claim is accurate.

It’s interesting how good both Sebolt and Carew are at the club level. Both didn’t get what they wanted at the college level. Lots of wisdom there.

Reactions: redghost1974
I don’t follow wrestling clubs very much.

what is the significance of Sebolt moving to IC?

I assume it’s good from a few of the comments here.

Now that sebolt has expanded to Iowa City maybe we can get mocco and American Top Team to open a satellite location in the area also.

Clone fans are bitter about Sebolt because he utilized ISU facilities, IIRC, and the Clones never were successful in getting the SWA kids.

Now...they're counting on a bitter Carew backstabbing TnT and pushing guys from Eastern Iowa to Ames.

Am I wrong?

Clone fans are bitter about Sebolt because he utilized ISU facilities, IIRC, and the Clones never were successful in getting the SWA kids.

Now...they're counting on a bitter Carew backstabbing TnT and pushing guys from Eastern Iowa to Ames.

Am I wrong?
Have any kids from Big Game picked Iowa? Mostly been ISU, UNI, or one of the Dakotas. Their best picked Stanford. I don't think they push them anywhere. That's not their job and if they are, shame on them

Have any kids from Big Game picked Iowa? Mostly been ISU, UNI, or one of the Dakotas. Their best picked Stanford. I don't think they push them anywhere. That's not their job and if they are, shame on them
Supposedly DSJ and Carew are pretty tight. Supposedly Carew and Brands are not on good terms.

I think it's safe to say guys attending Big Game aren't getting positive vibes regarding Iowa... spoken or unspoken.

I don't think Iowa needs Big Game to be successful, but given ISU's inability to recruit high level Iowa high schoolers, Metcalf and DSJ need a lot of help and the dots can be connected.

Mickey Griffith

Am I wrong?

says a lot more about ISU/Dresser than it does Sebolt. No way was he using ISU facilities and yet, actively telling kids not to go there.

And the Frost brothers just flipped from Columbia to ISU. Which. Wow. Talk about bad life decisions.

I don’t follow wrestling clubs very much.

what is the significance of Sebolt moving to IC?

I assume it’s good from a few of the comments here.

Clubs are important because wrestlers train more with their club than they do with their respective high schools due to the restrictive rules on how much off season time a HS coach can spend with their wrestlers. Sebolt has the best club in the state. A lot of his guys are either at or coming to Iowa. Starting with Schriever, this was really the first wave of Sebolt kids to hit college. Having them here at Carver solidifies that relationship. Also, it gives kids from this side of the state a chance to train under Sebolt. His club's results both in and out state are stellar. Schriever, Ayala, and Rathjen are Sebolt guys. Incoming recruits are J Jesuroga, Martinson bros, Riggins, Hill, and Jace Rhodes. Add in Ryder Block, Ben Kueter and Nate Jesuroga from 2023. Might have missed some guys. After Nate J, the next big Sebolt guy is going to be Dreshaun Ross. If I were Brands, I would be like this outside of Ross property line:

giphy.gif

Big Game wrestling is a club out of North Liberty. Right now, it is the 2nd best club in the state. The rumor is that there is bad blood between Big Game's club coach (Carew) and Iowa. Garvin, Tate Naaktgeboren, and Wyatt Voelker are all Big Game guys. I really like all three guys but I think Garvin is going to be a big factor for Stanford. None of those guys, and others, are going to Iowa.

Tate Naaktgeboren is going with ISU. Solid pickup in my opinion.
With Kennedy, Arnold, and Riggins...there really wasn't a spot for him at Iowa in the near future .

Same thing with Voelker at 197.

Higher level kids want to see a path to starting immediately.

says a lot more about ISU/Dresser than it does Sebolt. No way was he using ISU facilities and yet, actively telling kids not to go there.

And the Frost brothers just flipped from Columbia to ISU. Which. Wow. Talk about bad life decisions.
Well, enough bad life decisions and they might have a sporting chance?

• Haha
Reactions: MitchLL and vhsalum
ADVERTISEMENT