ADVERTISEMENT

Sebolt Wrestling Academy

mr12182

HR All-State
Gold Member
Jan 14, 2009
Tell me about this. Don't follow hs wrestling much but he has moved his academy to my hometown. Seem to have success at the events they participate in in the midwest. TIA

Tell me about this. Don't follow hs wrestling much but he has moved his academy to my hometown. Seem to have success at the events they participate in in the midwest. TIA
Sebolt takes the best kids from around the area and puts them in the same room to wrestle each other. They get a lot better due to the caliber of practice partners. Then Sebolt takes all the credit.

Not sure there is anything special going on there.

Sebolt takes the best kids from around the area and puts them in the same room to wrestle each other. They get a lot better due to the caliber of practice partners. Then Sebolt takes all the credit.

That's not entirely true. Yes, he gets your Caleb Rathjen type kids that see other nationally ranked studs there and then he starts going himself, but kids like Ayala and Scheiver have been with him for a since they were young. I'm sure they were already talented, but there are a lot of kids who are talented when they are young that don't go on to win multiple Fargo titles. Just off the top of my head Fort Dodge and Ankeny have both had average kids when they were young start going to Sebolt during JH and end up having pretty good HS careers.

That's not entirely true. Yes, he gets your Caleb Rathjen type kids that see other nationally ranked studs there and then he starts going themselves, but kids like Ayala and Scheiver have been with him for a since they were young. I'm sure they were already talented, but there are a lot of kids who are talented when they are young that don't go on to win multiple Fargo titles. Just off the top of my head Fort Dodge and Ankeny have both had average kids when they were young start going to Sebolt during JH and end up having pretty good HS careers.
This doesn’t dispute my comment at all. Yes, some kids turn out better than others. I never said some didn’t turn out to be really good.

My point is that the primary benefit of going to his club is the quality of training partners available to you.

Having 2 son's who have been involved in youth, club, and HS wrestling for the past 12 plus years in the state of Iowa I felt compelled to chime in.

Even though my kids went/go to a "competing club" I have mad respect for what TJ has built, grown, and maintained. I agree with the OP as the vast majority of the "studs" in that club were good before they walked in the room, and would be highly successful regardless. But in many instances they jumped levels after being in the room. Yes there are great partners there but there's also some special sauce. Mental toughness, accountability, impeccable technique (especially from neutral, and counter offense), and learning the will and desire to win and be the best.

However I can definitely see the other side of the coin. The club isn't for the faint of heart. And nobody is misled walking into the room about it. It's very demanding and it's a total commitment by the family let alone the kid. Both dad AND mom need to buy in. Just like everyone on this board we all know several families that have been and are part of SWA. I would have loved it if my kid(s) would've chosen to be a part of it but my wife said no way. She didn't want my kid(s) to give up other sports and miss out on a huge chunk of their childhoods cutting weight, missing out on being a kid just to chase eagles down in Tulsa (which we did anyway on our own terms).

SWA fills a niche for the incredibly intense wrestling families and their kids. And it's their choice to attend and buy in, and quite frankly, their results speak for themselves. Personally I'm glad Iowa has a club like this within it's borders. As most of you know Iowa has fallen behind several states in producing blue chip D1 prospect's and I know for a fact that SWA is doing it's part to churn out high level and polished kid's heading off to wrestle in college.

SWA has great youth and HS results. TJ's system has proven to do well (win) with that age of athlete. Let's see how it translates to college. So far, not so good. Several injuries and DNF's.

This doesn’t dispute my comment at all. Yes, some kids turn out better than others. I never said some didn’t turn out to be really good.

My point is that the primary benefit of going to his club is the quality of training partners available to you.
This is true for pretty much every club. The whole point is that the best kids in the area self select for outside training and then make each other better.

I was lucky enough to have the top club in my state right down the road and I got a lot better after going, but the gains I made had little to do with the technique taught. In fact, very little of it made it into my wrestling. It was the hour of live go's against the best kids in the area twice a week.

Reactions: crablegs1
Having 2 son's who have been involved in youth, club, and HS wrestling for the past 12 plus years in the state of Iowa I felt compelled to chime in.

Even though my kids went/go to a "competing club" I have mad respect for what TJ has built, grown, and maintained. I agree with the OP as the vast majority of the "studs" in that club were good before they walked in the room, and would be highly successful regardless. But in many instances they jumped levels after being in the room. Yes there are great partners there but there's also some special sauce. Mental toughness, accountability, impeccable technique (especially from neutral, and counter offense), and learning the will and desire to win and be the best.

However I can definitely see the other side of the coin. The club isn't for the faint of heart. And nobody is misled walking into the room about it. It's very demanding and it's a total commitment by the family let alone the kid. Both dad AND mom need to buy in. Just like everyone on this board we all know several families that have been and are part of SWA. I would have loved it if my kid(s) would've chosen to be a part of it but my wife said no way. She didn't want my kid(s) to give up other sports and miss out on a huge chunk of their childhoods cutting weight, missing out on being a kid just to chase eagles down in Tulsa (which we did anyway on our own terms).

SWA fills a niche for the incredibly intense wrestling families and their kids. And it's their choice to attend and buy in, and quite frankly, their results speak for themselves. Personally I'm glad Iowa has a club like this within it's borders. As most of you know Iowa has fallen behind several states in producing blue chip D1 prospect's and I know for a fact that SWA is doing it's part to churn out high level and polished kid's heading off to wrestle in college.

This is pretty fair. A lot of kids in the club do multiple sports, mine included. Sure, if TJ had his dream, every kid would only do wrestling. However, very few are wrestling only kids in that club.

I for one pretty much hated the damn club our first year, but my wife and more importantly my son loves it. There's a brotherhood those kids form, as if they are accomplishing something just by being in the club. At the end of the day I don't see my son going on to be D1 level good, and all this will turn out to be a big waste of money and time. However, TJ (along with Kaz, James, Fellers, etc) loves having us and is just as appreciative of the opportunity he has to be a coach as my son is appreciative to be in the club. We'll enjoy it as long as we can.

Reactions: Inthecircle
This is pretty fair. A lot of kids in the club do multiple sports, mine included. Sure, if TJ had his dream, every kid would only do wrestling. However, very few are wrestling only kids in that club.

I for one pretty much hated the damn club our first year, but my wife and more importantly my son loves it. There's a brotherhood those kids form, as if they are accomplishing something just by being in the club. At the end of the day I don't see my son going on to be D1 level good, and all this will turn out to be a big waste of money and time. However, TJ (along with Kaz, James, Fellers, etc) loves having us and is just as appreciative of the opportunity he has to be a coach as my son is appreciative to be in the club. We'll enjoy it as long as we can.

It will not be a big waste of money and time.

Your son is learning a lot more than just wrestling - discipline, hard work, responsibility, effort leading to success, etc. You get what you earn. Those life lessons will help your son a lot more than wrestling technique will.

This applies to wrestling in general, not just the Sebolt Academy. I don’t know if you were a wrestler yourself, but wrestling is a great introduction to life.

Reactions: Inthecircle

Your son is learning a lot more than just wrestling - discipline, hard work, responsibility, effort leading to success, etc. You get what you earn. Those life lessons will help your son a lot more than wrestling technique will.

This applies to wrestling in general, not just the Sebolt Academy. I don’t know if you were a wrestler yourself, but wrestling is a great introduction to life.
But you can learn all those things without SWA. SWA is very expensive, so if your goal is to learn those things, save the money.

You can do that by going out for your local mat club or MS/HS team. Money wasted part is simply talking about a) paying for a private club b) going to all these national tournaments.

I'm not complaining by any means. We're fortunate enough to be able to afford it. But you should definitely not treat it as an investment of college goals. Treat it as an investment of family happiness. Either, it's a great club and we're happy.

Big time club wrestling is just like big time livestock showing. Well meaning adults identify best of breed at the youngest stage possible, apply the most up to date training methods that maximize strength-nutrition-weight of gain, combine their best of breed with other's best of breeds to contrast and compare, travel to various showcases chasing championships that may or may not actually be against other worthy champions, take the credit for the exhibitor results, all while spending exorbitant sums of money along the way that vastly outpace the value of the end result.

Hey....I get the family/togetherness thing in club sports....there is certainly value to that. There is also an element of fun/enjoyment being involved in big time club wrestling or big time livestock showing. But generally speaking, the financial formula in America for big time club sports is a big loser. Only the best of the best figure out a way to make the whole experience pay. Taking advantage of local clubs and/or other school opps and saving the difference would pay for a big chunk of post HS education.....and maybe just give you a more well rounded student athlete that will be poised for great success as an adult.

One good thing about big time livestock showing, the very best can make decent money on breeding rights because many who place below will pay up for the supposed superior genetics....and at the very least, if that doesn't work out, you can butcher/consume a very expensive and delicious animal.

The most prophetic thing I was told when my son was younger and was heavily involved in travel league baseball was this " You will have learned all you need to know about travel league baseball about the time it will no longer matter." Yes, I understand it is a different sport. But club sports for the youth are similar, regardless. Some kids will benefit more than others and if you're doing it primarily for the chance of a scholarship, you're just being foolish.

I wasn't trying to dispute your comment just stating not all kids start at Sebolt as a state champion or state place winner.

I'm no fan of Sebolt but this is an elementary view, at best. If it were that easy, others would have been far more successful running wrestling clubs. There's much more to it than that. System, teaching, relationships, leadership, etc.

I'm no fan of Sebolt but this is an elementary view, at best. If it were that easy, others would have been far more successful running wrestling clubs. There's much more to it than that. System, teaching, relationships, leadership, etc.
Who said it was easy? Sebolt has put a lot of time and effort into his club. In fact that is why I think it has been successful. I can’t think of another club in Iowa that has been available full time year round.
I do not believe there is anything special with technique, leadership, teaching coming out of that club. It takes the formula of putting the best wrestlers together at practice, and multiplies the benefit by greatly increasing the time and commitment. Definitely not easy, and Sebolt has undoubtedly worked very hard to dedicate himself to the club.

What is the monthly rate?

It's $200 or $250 per month per kid year round. Plus travel and entry fees for Tulsa Kick off (November), Virginia Duals (if your kid is on Team Iowa), Pre and Post season nationals, Tulsa Nationals (January), Super 32, Reno World's, Freestyle/Greco nationals, to name a few. If you do that schedule and factor in Club dues, travel, entry fees, airfare, hotel, food, gas etc. You'd be pushing 6-10K per year

If one of my kids wanted to wrestle for TJ, he would. We have some tough rooms around here, but they’re not private clubs with an almost college atmosphere with conditioning and drilling with the some of the best kids in Iowa. It’s almost as good as our club.

Reactions: wasdt21
Sounds like typical asshole parents living through their kids. Not being able to play any other sports is ridiculous and not trying to get bigger and stronger is just strange. Whatever floats their boat tho

Sounds like typical asshole parents living through their kids. Not being able to play any other sports is ridiculous and not trying to get bigger and stronger is just strange. Whatever floats their boat tho
I would send my kid to SWA after their freshman year if they wanted to dedicate to wrestling. That level of intensity any earlier seems unnecessary. I prefer to focus on fun, technique, and general athleticism at younger age.

Being mediocre is almost a blessing nowadays. If you win 75-80% of your matches, you are hosed because you and (mostly) your parents want to win more. So you bust your ass at Sebolt to win 5-10% more. If you win 50% of your matches, you just have fun and feel no pressure. Parents don’t care.

I would send my kid to SWA after their freshman year if they wanted to dedicate to wrestling. That level of intensity any earlier seems unnecessary. I prefer to focus on fun, technique, and general athleticism at younger age.
I know of a few who go there and play multiple sports so I’m not sure how accurate that statement is. Having said that, I only know a handful of wrestler’s that go there but all of the ones I know, play more than one high school sport.

Reactions: zoe22
I know of a few who go there and play multiple sports so I’m not sure how accurate that statement is. Having said that, I only know a handful of wrestler’s that go there but all of the ones I know, play more than one high school sport.
What A weird response since I never said anything at all about the number of sports someone played.

SWA has great youth and HS results. TJ's system has proven to do well (win) with that age of athlete. Let's see how it translates to college. So far, not so good. Several injuries and DNF's.
Isn’t that pretty much how things went for Sebolt himself?

I would be interested to know who has come out of Sebolt to D1. Seems like his main crop of kids are just starting to hit that point.

Reactions: VansontheMoon44
Hopefully academics are as important as the club. Matching funds to a college fund on money spent for associated club costs are important. Very few wrestlers get full rides.

If the kids want to participate, invaluable life lessons for success can be learned. i.e. the current Pennsylvania Young Guns guys on our Roster.

There are a lot of Charlatans in this business. Caveat Emptor!

Last edited:
Isn’t that pretty much how things went for Sebolt himself?
Sebolt was home schooled, dad ran his development, they even brought a state champ in from out of state to live with them his senior year. He only wrestled. Unfortunately that environment (which he admits) left him unprepared for academics and social aspects of college. That is what I got from this interview.

Reactions: Spens
I have no specific feelings towards the Sebolt Academy...but having had two sons who were involved in club sports when they were growing up...I do have some feelings on the subject in general.

It was both a blessing and curse at times IMO. Pros - 1. Access to excellent instruction and coaching. The progress made by my boys was clear to see. 2. Practice with other "good" kids at their sport also helped sharpen their skills.

Cons - 1. Time commitment. While it is necessary to "put in the time" to improve of course, our goals were not to produce a D1 athlete, etc, but to give the boys a chance to develop and have some fun doing so. Some clubs allow for some fun, some don't it seems. Some clubs "allow" for the student to be involved in other things, which I think is important.

Others require so much time that effectively there is no time left for other pursuits. Travel to away meets and tournaments basically took up whole days and/or weekends and I did not really see the benefit of it for the most part. A lot of time and money for limited play/action IMO.

Looking back, I wish there was some sort of middle ground on the clubs. Local practices and quality coaching, but limited regional travel which sucked up whole weekends, etc.

What A weird response since I never said anything at all about the number of sports someone played.

should have quoted Curtisloew40. You replied to that post and I was referring to the comment about not being able to play other sports.

More family club sports pros/cons:

Pros: Parents take a keen interest in the development of their athlete within the sport of ___________. Parents support the goals of the athlete and encourage healthy and balanced training choices under the tutelage of competent third party coaches. The family unit shares in the success/failures of the individual and the club while making new friendships with other like minded families via unique and interesting travel opportunities. The athlete in enriched forever by the club experience of love, support, hard work, hard knocks, new relationships, and a better understanding of how they fit within the sport now and after MS/HS.

Cons: Parents take a keen interest in the development of their athlete within the sport of ____________. In an attempt to satisfy parental goals for their athlete, parents strongly encourage athlete the only way to get to the next level in the sport of ____________ is a different and increased training regimen ran by professional coaches. The family sacrifices to pay a fee to attend a club that is 60 miles away creating family stress in regards to budget, time, and the like. The parents ask unending questions and make peculiar comments like, "Do you like coming here?", "Tell me who you worked out with today", "I thought you would have learned that by now". In social situations while waiting in the hallway at practice or competitions, the parent gets in conversations with other parents, "We finished 2nd to that guy two years ago, but we beat him at Corncob Nationals." or "We just aren't getting it done, we'll need to work more on that". The parents and in many cases, the athlete, tell locals behind the scenes that the local MS/HS program is nothing compared to their club situation. Although not without great effort, the athlete ends up with average to above average results in MS/HS but feel they've let their family down. The life long lessons of sport get lost in translation.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT