ADVERTISEMENT

SEC schools recruiting player on TCU team

It’s going to be the norm. Free agency. Those that cheated before now have a legal way of doing it. NIL, in this form, is not good for college athletics.
It's not good, but there is not much that can be done about it. The rich are going to stay rich and everyone else will just be there. Luckily, most Big 10 teams will be able to put packages together that should keep most players there if they are happy with the program.

Business says to kid, “If you played closer to me I could use you and would pay you $ XXX,XXX.

couple conversations later it’s said the school is doing this.

who knows for sure but it’s going to happen.

The issue with saying it is just boosters is how they would know the coaching staff want that player on the team....

Reactions: Bee93
Just a thought but if they could cap it similar to the way MLB does with the draft. Your top rated recruit is allowed x amount. Next is allowed x amount and so on. A school like Alabama may not get a ton of 5 or 4 stars because that 4 star may be Iowa’s top recruit, thus getting him more money. It would level the playing field as far as talent gaps also. Hate to think of college sports becoming somewhat professional but it’s headed that way.

Reactions: CalGuti and hawkosx
Pandora's Box has been opened. The damage will follow.
Yep, it's a shit show of unethical behavior. I'm disgusted with it. I wished they would just say you want money turn pro you want free school go to college. This NIL baloney is nothing more than removal of rules that kept cheating and unethical behavior under some control and a somewhat level playing field between schools. At least the pros have salary caps and contracts. College now is a disaster. They better come up with some salary cap type rules and some tampering rules real quick. No NIL eligibility for transfers would cut the crap real quick.

They've experimented with getting money into the hands of player with several failed semi-pro teams. College athletics has now been targeted. Many of these players will cash in a sum now
and never be NFL contract material anyways. Something has to change.

Paying players is essentially what got SMU the death penalty. Interestingly enough, they could figure out a way to do it in a perfectly legal way today. Now in fairness, it was more the fact they were doing things others couldn't. Now it is fair game for everyone to participate.

College is now the minor leagues. A free college education is equivalent to nothing. “I aint here to play school”. Hopefully the Hawks can have a standout memorable year because the future of college sports looks too different. I enjoy it the way it was. Apparently players didn’t mind the way it was either because no one had to hold a gun to their heads to sign them up…

Reactions: 24 so far
Yep, it's a shit show of unethical behavior. I'm disgusted with it. I wished they would just say you want money turn pro you want free school go to college. This NIL baloney is nothing more than removal of rules that kept cheating and unethical behavior under some control and a somewhat level playing field between schools. At least the pros have salary caps and contracts. College now is a disaster. They better come up with some salary cap type rules and some tampering rules real quick. No NIL eligibility for transfers would cut the crap real quick.
Agree 💯. Will be real interesting when the $ athletes underperform to the coaches standards and get benched. Anybody think that the ‘donor/employer’ will have any influence in playing time especially if they also donate to the university? Probably not right🤣

Just a thought but if they could cap it similar to the way MLB does with the draft. Your top rated recruit is allowed x amount. Next is allowed x amount and so on. A school like Alabama may not get a ton of 5 or 4 stars because that 4 star may be Iowa’s top recruit, thus getting him more money. It would level the playing field as far as talent gaps also. Hate to think of college sports becoming somewhat professional but it’s headed that way.
So money on the table and a new stream of money under the table ?

Not going to happen. The cat is out of the bag, going to have to deal with the new reality. Nobody is going to enforce anything now that we have NIL. I don’t think the players have to disclose their incomes do they?

So money on the table and a new stream of money under the table ?

Not going to happen. The cat is out of the bag, going to have to deal with the new reality. Nobody is going to enforce anything now that we have NIL. I don’t think the players have to disclose their incomes do they?
Ohhh I don’t think this early era of free reign will last too much longer.

Ohhh I don’t think this early era of free reign will last too much longer.
It’s the Wild West from this point forward. Schools will not pay all athletes so they let the private sector do it.

it’s damn clean and perfect from the school’s point of view and costs them nothing in administrative fees. No title IX crying no nothing.

As if this hasn't already been happening. It is just in the open now
Not really until the transfer rules got opened up. And this could lead to starters transferring in my view, not just guys riding the bench.

Not really until the transfer rules got opened up. And this could lead to starters transferring in my view, not just guys riding the bench.
Of course it could and if that starts to happen we will see new rules implemented. This is new

The other side of that coin is that players will also look for stability in the programs. People are people and culture matters

It’s going to be the norm. Free agency. Those that cheated before now have a legal way of doing it. NIL, in this form, is not good for college athletics.
Some players will benefit. The sport won't. Almost everything that was a pleasure has turned to crap over the last 20 years.

ADVERTISEMENT