PatterHawk

Team MVP
Mar 18, 2013
Woodbury
White
Utoff
Gesell
Clemmons

Just no come back offense there. Played zone D most of the last 12 min with that lineup. Down 11 with 4 or 5 possessions and take bad shots. Needed to get Jok more than 1 shot in the 2nd half. Needed to shoot 3's in the 2nd half and we shot maybe 3 before the lead hit 20. Just don't get it.

Fran McCaffery's teams have never been great 3 point shooting teams....just not his style.

Jok was horrible tonight, he took awful shots and turned it over. He belonged on the bench. He had 2 good games the last month if the year I think.

"But he'll be much better next year" part two.
ohwell.r191677.gif

Jok has a long way to go. Too many turnovers at crucial times and has a tendency to shoot too quick or take poor shots.

While I agree that Jok didn't play well tonight, he and Utoff were the only 2 guys that had the ability to make 3's in bunches. Utoff didn't even attempt 1 in the second half. Can't make double digit comebacks without making 3's. Just doesn't happen.

Having Gesell and Clemmons in together is good in a 2 possession game. Not when you're down 15.

Originally posted by PatterHawk:
Woodbury
White
Utoff
Gesell
Clemmons

Just no come back offense there. Played zone D most of the last 12 min with that lineup. Down 11 with 4 or 5 possessions and take bad shots. Needed to get Jok more than 1 shot in the 2nd half. Needed to shoot 3's in the 2nd half and we shot maybe 3 before the lead hit 20. Just don't get it.
Brilliant. They should have went 12-15 deep, obviously. What....??????

While I agree that Jok didn't play well tonight, he and Utoff were the only 2 guys that had the ability to make 3's in bunches. Utoff didn't even attempt 1 in the second half. Can't make double digit comebacks without making 3's. Just doesn't happen.

Having Gesell and Clemmons in together is good in a 2 possession game. Not when you're down 15.
Normally I'd agree with your last point, however, Jok was terrible tonight. Even worse than the TO's he wasn't even in the same zip code as the guy he was guarding. So, even if he got hot shooting the 3's, he would have given the 3 right back by losing his man and giving up wide open shots.

He really needs to spend the summer working on tightening up his defense, and improving his ball handling skills.

Originally posted by PhantomFlyer:

Normally I'd agree with your last point, however, Jok was terrible tonight. Even worse than the TO's he wasn't even in the same zip code as the guy he was guarding. So, even if he got hot shooting the 3's, he would have given the 3 right back by losing his man and giving up wide open shots.

He really needs to spend the summer working on tightening up his defense, and improving his ball handling skills.
He does. My point was, we were playing zone. Jok plays better zone D than man. He also needs to play to get in a flow. Only played 15 min as a starter. Wouldn't have made a diff in the outcome. Just have no chance with Utoff being the only guy on the floor for 10 min that can make 3's and he didn't shoot any.

It didn't matter what lineup Fran used tonight. They had our number and we were a step slow on defense the whole game.

Originally posted by Section8:
"But he'll be much better next year" part two.
ohwell.r191677.gif

Not sure why he won't be, he was much better this year than he was last year and Fran brought in a lot of players like him that will push him for minutes.

AC went 3-4 from 3 tonight he was hot so he played, Jok was cold so he sat, isn't this what you were bitching about Fran not doing? leaving the cold shooter in to long and taking the hoe shooter out.

OMFG people make up your mind. Jok couldn't hit those 15-16' jumpers tonight like he did vs Davidson, and with him being 6'6 not even Gonzaga had a player to match him,, Jok was very cold while the Zafs were very hot by going 10-16 for 61.5% from 3 7-10 in the 1st half alone, that gave them that 17 point halftime lead. a lead that nobody is going to overcome.

Originally posted by Hawkeye2222:

AC went 3-4 from 3 tonight he was hot so he played, Jok was cold so he sat, isn't this what you were bitching about Fran not doing? leaving the cold shooter in to long and taking the hoe shooter out.

OMFG people make up your mind. Jok couldn't hit those 15-16' jumpers tonight like he did vs Davidson, and with him being 6'6 not even Gonzaga had a player to match him,, Jok was very cold while the Zafs were very hot by going 10-16 for 61.5% from 3 7-10 in the 1st half alone, that gave them that 17 point halftime lead. a lead that nobody is going to overcome.
I know it's your schtick around here to try to find stats(half of which you get wrong) to help your point, but clemmons isn't a 3 pt shooter. 3-4 in 25 min isn't getting hot. One of those was with a min left in the game. Down 15 with under 10 min left in the game, you have to have a couple guys go 6-8 to cut into a team like Gonzaga's lead. You're not going to get enough turnovers and missed shots from them to cut the lead without making a bunch of 3's.

Clemmons played well and deserved more minutes than Pete tonight. Good job, Fran.

Originally posted by PhantomFlyer:

Jok is clumsy. There is no other way to describe his movement on a basketball court. He flat out can't dribble either. You can't teach what he needs to become a consistent good player, because the pure athleticism is not there. He's got a Ferrari body that moves like a GMC Gremlin. Not gonna happen.

What he is at times, is a really good spot up or one step shooter. That's it and that's all.

We were outscored by just 2 points in the 2nd half and made a run. Just too much to overcome.

Originally posted by IllQChawk:

Fran McCaffery's teams have never been great 3 point shooting teams....just not his style.
Huh?
Fran interviewing a recruit:
"So son, tell me about your skills".
"Well coach, my biggest strength is my 3 point shooting".
"Well, Sorry son, we're not interested, it's not my style."
"What is your style, coach?"
"I'm not sure son, you'll have to ask lllQChawk."

You folks are hilarious. You'll just come on here and make any senseless comment that radomly pops into your head, but with the fever that you've shared some profound dictum.

Woodbury
White
Utoff
Gesell
Clemmons

Just no come back offense there.
Who do you want to put in there to play offense? Seriously, tell me who else was going to score last night. Gabe looked completely lost and overmatched. I don't think Josh shot at all. Peter didn't look good.

That 5 was probably our best chance to make a comeback. Clemmons was hitting 3s, Mikey took it the rack a few times and is the floor general, Utoff was the best player wearing black last night and White scored 20+ 7 games in a row.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT