ADVERTISEMENT

Secret 'man cave' with fridge, futon, TV discovered below Grand Central Terminal

alaskanseminole

HR Legend
Oct 20, 2002
Geesh, this is why we can't have nice things. I wonder who the rat was.

A fridge with beer. A large flat screen TV. A futon.

Officials found all of that and more in a secret “man cave” under New York City's iconic Grand Central Terminal. At least three employees apparently used the unauthorized lounge to “hang out, get drunk and party," the Metropolitan Transit Authority’s inspector general said in a report released Thursday.

“Many a New Yorker has fantasized about kicking back with a cold beer in a prime piece of Manhattan real estate — especially one this close to good transportation,” inspector general Carolyn Pokorny said in a statement. “But few would have the chutzpah to commandeer a secret room beneath Grand Central Terminal and make it their very own man-cave, sustained with MTA resources, and maintained at our riders’ expense.”

9ba8cf189c1059dcbb2b0f270f72196b

Image: (MTA Inspector General / AP)

The inspector general's office learned of the man cave — a locked room inside a storage area beneath one of the dozens of tracks in the roughly century-old train station — last February after someone sent an anonymous email complaining that it was being used for drinking and partying.

Fire officials said the space wasn’t on any maps and presented “significant” safety hazards, the statement said. Terminal managers didn’t even know the area existed.

Inside, investigators found an air conditioner, workout equipment, hide-away beds, a microwave, a fridge and a TV with a streaming device connected to it — along with specially-designed cabinets that appeared to be used to hide the gear.

There was also evidence that linked three employees from the terminal’s administration department to the “unauthorized breakroom” — a carpenter foreman, an electrical foreman and a wireman.

All three denied that they used the room, but the inspector general’s report called their denials “not credible.” They were suspended without pay after being served with disciplinary charges, the report says.

The report recommends that they be fired. Officials are now working to develop a complete inventory of all rooms within the terminal, the report says.

In a statement, the president of Metro-North Railroad, which operates trains at Grand Central, said that what the workers did was "outrageously inappropriate."

An official with the MTA, which owns the terminal, said it's unclear what the ex-man cave will be used for in the future.

1zQ0xk_0X6V1LDZ00

Reactions: pink shizzle
That office looks better than mine! Time to hang out with rodents!

"..sustained with MTA resources, and maintained at our riders’ expense.”

I'd be curious what evidence there is for this part.

Like, did they take a futon from some other office, and a TV and fridge from some public spaces, and put them down there? It looks like they somehow brought in their own stuff and set up shop down there.

If they hung out down there on the clock, then they were stealing time. But if they used that spot for their lunches and breaks, and they brought their own furnishings, they really may not have been stealing anything.

Like, did they take a futon from some other office, and a TV and fridge from some public spaces, and put them down there? It looks like they somehow brought in their own stuff and set up shop down there.

If they hung out down there on the clock, then they were stealing time. But if they used that spot for their lunches and breaks, and they brought their own furnishings, they really may not have been stealing anything.
I as wondering the same dadgum thing...seems like they were looking for reason to squash this George Costanza-sque hideout.

Probably the electricity to run the a/c, fridge, etc.

Electricity?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT