ADVERTISEMENT

Selling Iowa Football

Biscut Head

HB MVP
Gold Member
Jan 29, 2004
First off, let me say that I really like Ferentz. I hope he's the head coach at Iowa for a long time. With that said, I do believe he has a problem, and it's a big one: He is not good at selling Iowa Football. For a couple of years, they have been unfocused, bordering on lazy. Waiting for the new facilities, that will solve everything. Shucks, all we can show the recruits is a hole in the ground. Further, he has not been effective in selecting someone to be responsible for selling Iowa Football. Ferentz can help close, but he is not the right guy when it comes to the materials, methods and processes. Someone else, a sales manager if you will, needs that job.

No one in there right mind would accuse Kirk of being a salesman, and that's fine. I don't think he needs to be. As the CEO of Iowa football, he does need to find someone who is. The opportunity right now is golden. The new facilities. Coaching stability. Playing time. Players heading in the NFL. Hell, even the graphics are up. Now they need a strategy, process and measurements to see how they are doing. Iowa football is better than average. The pay checks are better than average. The facilities are better than average. The recruiting has been far below that average. The need a new plan, new strategies and new measurements for the results of the efforts. Understand the market, set your targets and go get it done.

I hope that's what we are seeing with the number of offers, new materials, etc... All the tools are in place to win recruiting battles, now it's time to sell the sizzle. It's time for Ferentz to put the right people in place to make it happen, then hold them accountable.

In my opinion, there is no room for excuses going forward in this area. Ferentz has everything a coach could ask for, now it's time to show all of us that these facilities and salaries can convert into the recruits that will make it happen. There is no expectations of 10 5 star kids per class, but there should be some 4's and bunch of 3's and an occasional 2. More importantly, they should be closing a higher percentage of who they target.

Much of what we all argue about on here, comes down to recruiting. If Ferentz cannot figure out how to fix what is broken with selling Iowa Football, then it will ultimately be his undoing within 2 years. If the plan is to let the facilities sell themselves, then the plan will fail. I hope he knows that the next incoming class will make him, or break him. More importantly, I hope he has a detailed plan, the right people and the will to make it happen.

Biscut Up!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News