ADVERTISEMENT

Sen. Chuck Grassley to vote 'no' on Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson to the US Supreme Court

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Surprise, surprise, surprise:

U.S. Sen. Chuck Grassley will vote against Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson's U.S. Supreme Court nomination.

"Having carefully studied her record, unfortunately, I think she and I have fundamentally different views on the role judges should play in our system of government," Grassley will say Monday during a meeting of the Senate Judiciary Committee, according to prepared remarks shared with the Des Moines Register. "Because of those disagreements, I can’t support her nomination."

The committee, which is made up of 11 Republicans and 11 Democrats, is expected to deadlock on her nomination. Democrats can still advance Jackson's nomination, and a vote of the full Senate is expected this week before lawmakers leave for Easter recess.

The Senate is evenly split between Republicans and Democrats, and Jackson needs a simple majority to be confirmed. Two swing voters, Republican U.S. Sen. Susan Collins of Maine and Democratic U.S. Sen. Joe Manchin of West Virginia, have both said they would support her nomination, all but guaranteeing her confirmation.

Grassley, who is the top Republican on the Senate Judiciary Committee, previously complimented Jackson as “very graceful” and “very smart in her answers" after several days of confirmation hearings before the committee. However, he also said she’s “done a good job of sidestepping important questions,” particularly around whether she believes in adding seats to the Supreme Court.

Grassley also has complimented committee chair Dick Durbin, a Democrat from Illinois, for how he's handled the process. Though he said he's been disappointed that some records of Jackson's records requested were not made available to the committee.

He should have just said that she isn't a white guy, and everything scares him (And, the GOP's primary voters), now.
If any of you have bothered to track the no votes, they are all generous in their praise of Judge Jackson, oh, but there is just this one little thing that is keeping me from voting for her.

I thought of this the other day, was going to post a poll but didn’t. Do you think it’s currently possible for a Supreme Court nominee to be confirmed by a Senate led by the opposing party?

I will guarantee the next Republican nominee won’t receive a vote, or will be voted down by a democratic led Senate, assuming Manchin is retired.

If Clarence Thomas would be unable to serve in 2023, is there any chance at all that a Republican Senate would vote for another Biden nominee? In fact, had Georgia not elected two Democratic Senators, is there any chance they would confirm a Biden nominee at all?

Also Grassley didn't carefully study shit. The claim that he spent countless hours meticulously reading each of her decisions is ridiculous. All Chuck did was to read talking points from the Federalist society.

ADVERTISEMENT