ADVERTISEMENT

Sen. Hawley blocks quick vote on Biden’s homeland security secretary

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Assholes gonna asshole:

Sen. Josh Hawley (R-Mo.) blocked the Senate from giving Biden’s choice for homeland security secretary a quick confirmation, forcing him to go through the full committee vetting process, because of Hawley’s objections to Biden’s immigration policies.
There was a desire to have Alejandro N. Mayorkas in place quickly because of the importance of the post.
Hawley — who led the effort to challenge the electoral college results earlier this month before a mob attacked the Capitol — said he held up Mayorkas’s nomination because he opposed Biden’s proposal to overhaul the nation’s immigration laws.
“Mr. Mayorkas has not adequately explained how he will enforce federal law and secure the southern border given President-elect Biden’s promise to roll back major enforcement and security measures,” Hawley said in a statement.

• Wow
Reactions: hawkbirch and Torg
Assholes gonna asshole:

Sen. Josh Hawley (R-Mo.) blocked the Senate from giving Biden’s choice for homeland security secretary a quick confirmation, forcing him to go through the full committee vetting process, because of Hawley’s objections to Biden’s immigration policies.
There was a desire to have Alejandro N. Mayorkas in place quickly because of the importance of the post.
Hawley — who led the effort to challenge the electoral college results earlier this month before a mob attacked the Capitol — said he held up Mayorkas’s nomination because he opposed Biden’s proposal to overhaul the nation’s immigration laws.
“Mr. Mayorkas has not adequately explained how he will enforce federal law and secure the southern border given President-elect Biden’s promise to roll back major enforcement and security measures,” Hawley said in a statement.

On the one hand, I would like every cabinet-nominee to go through the full vetting process - I don't necessarily like rushing anyone thru. On the other hand, this is also exactly why it's so stupid that the Senate was in recess until this week - starting the confirmation process is the exact sort of thing they could have been doing all along after they returned from Christmas break.

Assholes gonna asshole:

Maybe they can take a quick vote on whether or not Hawley is retained in the Senate?

The sad part is, most of Biden's appointments will probably be confirmed without too much drama. I doubt that Harris will need to break the tie on any of them, unlike Pence.

How is it sad that Biden's appointments are more qualified than Betsy DeVos?

A turnip would have been more qualified. As a former teacher it infuriated me that a person who never attended public school, never held a job in ANY school district, public or private, and so far as I know, never so much as stepped foot in a public school in her entire life, was confirmed as Secretary of Education.

A turnip would have been more qualified. As a former teacher it infuriated me that a person who never attended public school, never held a job in ANY school district, public or private, and so far as I know, never so much as stepped foot in a public school in her entire life, was confirmed as Secretary of Education.

Honestly any voluntary association with Amway should be disqualifying from all public service (elected, appointed, or hired civil service). Not legally disqualifying, just like in terms of norms.

Reactions: cigaretteman
She never held a job, period, as far as I could tell.
The only qualification DeVos had was that she was rich, and gave lavishly to Christian Sharia Law causes, and her nomination was payback to the evangelicals who ignored every anti-Christian action and utterance by Donald Trump, and helped to get him elected.

Mayorkas was confirmed by the Senate today, with 43 Republicans voting against the nomination
This is yet another example of the sickness permeating the GOP. A guy with experience in the organization he was set to lead, and a passion for the mission of the organization. It's shocking what the GOP has become. I assume both to Iowa's senators joined the lemmings and voted against him.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Just do acting cabinet members, you know, like they allowed with Trump.
I believe Trump had 4-5 people fill this spot. John Kelly, Kirsten Nielsen, then about 3-4 never confirmed chumps. I think the last one might have been confirmed towards the end of the administration

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT