ADVERTISEMENT

Sen. Joe Manchin May Not Be Kingmaker in West Virginia for Long

Nov 28, 2010
Maryland
For decades, Sen. Joe Manchin has presided over West Virginia’s Democratic Party, crowning candidates and throwing cushy appointments to allies while the state’s jobs, wages, and environment have gradually been ground to dust. But earlier this month, a grassroots slate of over 50 Democrats took control of the West Virginia Democratic Party after winning a majority of seats on the executive committee and ousting party leadership, thus ending Manchin’s de facto control of the state party apparatus.

Now, after a six-year organizing push, every old guard party apparatchik — save for the treasurer — is out of office, replaced with activists from across the Democratic spectrum set on revitalizing the state and forcing renewed support from the national party. The June 18 victories mark the beginning of the end for an era defined by atrophy, nose-diving voter rolls, and just a single Democratic statewide representative: Manchin.

They did it by flipping the script on the Democratic Party. After Manchin and the Democratic National Committee used the bylaws governing unelected superdelegates to throw West Virginia’s 2016 presidential primary for Hillary Clinton — despite the fact that Sen. Bernie Sanders won every county in the state — activists used the DNC’s own rules to unseat the base of one of its most powerful members. They sowed the seeds of power by demanding that the party make good on its rules governing gender and racial equity in its staffing as well as those governing free, fair, and timely leadership elections.

more here

It would be good sense for Manchin to join the ranks of
the GOP. He could revitalize the Republican agenda
and help eliminate the Trump factor.

Last edited:
Scary things like this are happening at all levels of government and should concern serious Americans. Far-left activists are infiltrating not only political structure but also corporate and other structures to a detriment to this country at every level. It's how you end up with the horrific DA's in big cities, out of touch school boards across this country, and radicalized boards of directors like you see at Black Rock, Twitter, and even some larger oil companies. It's important to not take things for granted anymore if you care about the future of this nation. These people have nothing to do with their life other than try to cause problems for successful individuals so don't stop paying attention even for what are considered minor elections like school board or city council.

Scary things like this are happening at all levels of government and should concern serious Americans. Far-left activists are infiltrating not only political structure but also corporate and other structures to a detriment to this country at every level. It's how you end up with the horrific DA's in big cities, out of touch school boards across this country, and radicalized boards of directors like you see at Black Rock, Twitter, and even some larger oil companies. It's important to not take things for granted anymore if you care about the future of this nation. These people have nothing to do with their life other than try to cause problems for successful individuals so don't stop paying attention even for what are considered minor elections like school board or city council.
Lol!

You mean like coup attempts and the government jailing people for making personal choices about reproduction.

I don’t know. At least then everyone knows what they’re dealing with. Joe is a massive reason the country is heading where it’s heading. I hate him for it. He’s paid off working with the wrong side. He’s against democracy so eff him.

Some of you don't think things through very well with Manchin. The state has turned so much that he can only give the Dems so much. There is no grass on the other side but some of you would prefer that apparently. His last opponent that he beat is the little midget that argued WV vs EPA. Manchin is a million times better than the alternative.

Bullshit. You look up how many times he votes with the Dems when no republicans do, and you’ll see there is some Dem in him. All or nothing for you I guess.
It's not how many times he votes with the Dems on issues like declaring Apple Pie Day. It's how many times he blocks critical Dem issues like addressing climate change, restoring voting rights and the like.

On the truly important issues of the day, he's not only often MIA, but too frequently is the main obstacle to progress and democracy.

I couldn't help being reminded of this. The last part may have seemed over the top a decade ago, but it's spot on today.

Bullshit. You look up how many times he votes with the Dems when no republicans do, and you’ll see there is some Dem in him. All or nothing for you I guess.
The times he votes with Dems usually follows how much Dem legislation has to be "watered down" to gain his support.

By the time votes are counted, the damage is done.

The times he votes with Dems usually follows how much Dem legislation has to be "watered down" to gain his support.

By the time votes are counted, the damage is done.
I said the times he voted with Dems when no republicans did. Those weren’t watered down, they just didn’t pass. Stop making shit up.

Reactions: 24 so far

According to CQ Roll Call, Manchin voted against his party’s majority 38.5% of the time last year, while Sinema did so for 33.1% of the votes. Democratic Sen. Doug Jones of Alabama, who lost his reelection race in November to Republican Tommy Tuberville, was third at 32.2%.

In the House, Rep. Ben McAdams, D-Utah, most frequently voted last year against his party, at 27.3%, followed by Rep. Collin Peterson, D-Minn., at 23.7%. Both lost to Republican challengers in November.

Manchin and Sinema have also supported Biden’s position in every instance so far this year, including numerous confirmation votes on Biden nominees, COVID-19 relief and the commission to investigate the Jan. 6 insurrection, according to FiveThirtyEight’s count. Sinema was not in town for last week’s vote on the Jan. 6 commission, citing a family matter, but said she would have backed it if she were

According to CQ Roll Call, Manchin voted against his party’s majority 38.5% of the time last year, while Sinema did so for 33.1% of the votes. Democratic Sen. Doug Jones of Alabama, who lost his reelection race in November to Republican Tommy Tuberville, was third at 32.2%.

In the House, Rep. Ben McAdams, D-Utah, most frequently voted last year against his party, at 27.3%, followed by Rep. Collin Peterson, D-Minn., at 23.7%. Both lost to Republican challengers in November.

Manchin and Sinema have also supported Biden’s position in every instance so far this year, including numerous confirmation votes on Biden nominees, COVID-19 relief and the commission to investigate the Jan. 6 insurrection, according to FiveThirtyEight’s count. Sinema was not in town for last week’s vote on the Jan. 6 commission, citing a family matter, but said she would have backed it if she were
@MitchLL the Associated Press says your wrong.

Also we jerk off to bipartisanship but when a Republican or Democrat goes that route they get thrown under the bus lol. You guys are cray cray

Some of you don't think things through very well with Manchin. The state has turned so much that he can only give the Dems so much. There is no grass on the other side but some of you would prefer that apparently. His last opponent that he beat is the little midget that argued WV vs EPA. Manchin is a million times better than the alternative.
No I get it. I also know he’d prefer to keep his cushy job and go authoritarian than protect American democracy. He’s no hero.

• Haha
Reactions: BrunoMars420
Huh?

Correct me if I'm wrong but Manchin is a Senator and the Jan 6 hearings are in the House.

Or are we talking about a Senate vote that was safe because of the filibuster?
Maybe not vote but he was a big proponent of the commissions and hearings. Called out the GOP numerous times in it

Just means a Republican will win his seat. Which will be worse than keeping Manchin
Yep. If democrats ousted him its the liberal kind. He is the last remaining level headed Democrat, and WV will put a republican in in a heartbeat.

Maybe not vote but he was a big proponent of the commissions and hearings. Called out the GOP numerous times in it
Don't get me wrong. If most Republicans were like Manchin, the GOP would be a better party.

But Manchin is still a dismal Democrat, and I still probably won't ever vote R again above the local level.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT