ADVERTISEMENT

Sen. Johnson suggests ending Medicare, Social Security as mandatory spending programs

You’re stupid, tiresome, and a religious bigot.
I attended the Jesuit-run St. Ignatius High School in Ohio. I've studied catholic theology for years, plus years of philosophy of religion, and I've come to the conclusion that most of institutional religion, and fundamentalism in particular, is doing much more harm than good.

Call me stupid and a bigot. That's exactly what I mean.

Oh, and don't forget to call Chris Hedges a "bigot" too, and stupid, the pulitzer prize winner, harvard divinity school grad, son of a methodist minister, and ordained minister himself, for detailing exactly the kind of violent, white supermacist, fascist perversion of actual christianity in his book American Fascists: The Christian Right and its War on America

Nobody wants to get rid of Social Security JFC....

Even if they wanted to it's political suicide...

Johnson actually makes a decent point making it discretionary....you actually have to address problems in the system. Won't work because congress can't address anything, so a dumb idea...As is it's on track to be insolvent by 2033....

Medicare 2028

We'll just kick it down the road and address the problem in 2027 or so...

Bring up anything on social security/medicare and folks freak the F out...which is why nothing gets done.

We have an aging population...the problems ain't going away.
The gap in his logic is that there is nothing stopping congress from making changes to entitlement programs as it is, except themselves and the voters that want gridlock or the death of compromise.

Head in sand as usual. It’s part of the plan!!! They want to do this. If they achieve what they are attempting- only Republicans can win some swing state elections- they won’t be worried about voters. It’s like you pay attention to nothing some of us are telling you. You don’t even pay attention to what Republicans are telling you if it doesn’t fit inside your safe little box you’ve created for yourself.
Part of the “plan”?

The plan to install a fascist dictatorship and get rid of social security and Medicare?

I know about that “plan”….

I’m not a conspiracy theory guy so I’m not a believer….sorry.

Reactions: goldmom
The gap in his logic is that there is nothing stopping congress from making changes to entitlement programs as it is, except themselves and the voters that want gridlock or the death of compromise.
True…Johnson isn’t much on logic…but he’s not trying to take away social security and Medicare either

Last edited:
Reactions: goldmom
I attended the Jesuit-run St. Ignatius High School in Ohio. I've studied catholic theology for years, plus years of philosophy of religion, and I've come to the conclusion that most of institutional religion, and fundamentalism in particular, is doing much more harm than good.

Call me stupid and a bigot. That's exactly what I mean.

Oh, and don't forget to call Chris Hedges a "bigot" too, and stupid, the pulitzer prize winner, harvard divinity school grad, son of a methodist minister, and ordained minister himself, for detailing exactly the kind of violent, white supermacist, fascist perversion of actual christianity in his book American Fascists: The Christian Right and its War on America

I’m a Catholic school kid myself. Maybe you need to just sit down.

• Haha
Reactions: unsubstantiated
I have read posts on HROT from younger people who would prefer they could invest their own money instead of paying SS taxes. There are people who would welcome the end of Social Security.
Sadly, the “private sector” cannot be trusted 100% with that large amount of the public’s money. Government bonds yield low but are the safest investment that be made with trusted public monies. Young people need to understand what “social security” is...it is a wager not only on/by the contributor but also on/by all fellow Americans.

If you think you’re going to change his mind you’re not. He and the Dembots think they’ve got something to hang their hats on and they are so desperate they’ll hang on for dear life.

I haven't even heard the man's quote or pretended to know his mind. I was simply pointing out the distinguished teaparty Senator from Wisconsin already holds the same amount of power to achieve his goals as he would if SS were suddenly not an entitlement.

Aren't you past due on making a post requesting nobody go to Florida?

All they have to do, is tell folks that the Dems are going to indoctrinate their hillbilly public-school educated child with CRT, and they'll giddily vote against their own SS/Medicare issues.

CRT!!!
Migrant caravans!!!
Gun regulation!!!
Trans kids!!!
@NorthernHawkeye giving money to every Magaturd candidate after reading this post.
cc513d544fd047413a323eeda1bb018f_w200.gif

One of the biggest. The best we can hope for is that his idiocy reminds regular Americans that we elect people to solve problems, not to act like @ssholes or say the most outlandish sh!t they can think of in a give moment.
Hard to come by at the moment…

I haven't even heard the man's quote or pretended to know his mind. I was simply pointing out the distinguished teaparty Senator from Wisconsin already holds the same amount of power to achieve his goals as he would if SS were suddenly not an entitlement.

Aren't you past due on making a post requesting nobody go to Florida?
Nah. Just you.

I'm 72 and many of my friends around the same age have "unretired" after sitting around for a few years doing nothing. A friend of mine who is 72 also told me just last weekend that when the course closed this fall she was going to get a job again. She said "even I can't play that much golf".
IuEKCrY.png

Part of the “plan”?

The plan to install a fascist dictatorship and get rid of social security and Medicare?

I know about that “plan”….

I’m not a conspiracy theory guy so I’m not a believer….sorry.
It’s not conspiracy. Jeebus. They are telling us this. Laying the groundwork for years. Read Heidi Pryzbilla’s Politico article. It’s not conspiracy. Not hyperbole. No matter how much you choose to ignore it. Stop being the good little complicit soldier.

Reactions: franklinman
I’m a Catholic school kid myself. Maybe you need to just sit down.
you’re a typical old lady.

I won’t sit down, mom. Not when my country and my planet is being destroyed by ignorant hateful fascists who call people “stupid” and “bigots”, and who are apologists for violence

I’d ask you to list your accomplishments and qualifications, mom, but I know you’d lie and grossly exaggerate. You who call people “stupid”. most sixth graders can do much better. Even third graders.

No responsible person should sit down and be docile, as the fascists demand.

Reactions: RileyHawk
The highly negative correlation between educational attainment and support for conservatives is no coincidence.
What was the education level of the brain trust that created our insolvent federal Social Security Insurance program?

Funny how we started with a 1% tax on wages, that is now up to a 12.4% tax on wages, and the program is still destined for insolvency.

"another tax hike will fix it"

0341eb5d8fc0ba89b5f053c7db291053--funniest-commercials-irish-beer.jpg

Raise the cap and be done with it. There is absolutely no reason a movie star, professional athelete, hedge fund manger, CEO, etc.etc. should not have 100% of his income taxed just like the average ditch digger does now.
Making 147k isn’t exactly resided air, especially if you live in a large metro.

Maybe not that, but Tom is 100% about Republicans wanting to get rid of SS and MediCare. Republicans have never forgiven FDR or LBJ for their genius I still supporting and implementing these two social programs.

Yes, we are terrible people, no maybe about it,.. smh.

I feel bad (kinda) for the party that’s in power when the decision needs to be made about what to do with social security when the surplus is about to run out in 2033.

They’ll either have to raise taxes or reduce the expected benefits. Either outcome is going to be a killer politically.

My hope though is we have some legit new blood in Congress by then. All these geriatrics won’t be in much hurry to act. It’s the price we’ve paid for kicking the can down the road.

As for me, at age 32, there’s no way I’m planning to have SSI as a legitimate income source in retirement.

I feel bad (kinda) for the party that’s in power when the decision needs to be made about what to do with social security when the surplus is about to run out in 2033.

They’ll either have to raise taxes or reduce the expected benefits. Either outcome is going to be a killer politically.
Not really.

Add in a SS tax on cap gains for those who have not maxed out the salary-based tax. Increase the salary tax limit on contributions to 250k, or make it higher on amounts between 140k and 250k

There are lots of ways to address the gap; unfortunately making the uber-rich pay their fair share is immensely difficult when they have practically unlimited cash to propagandize unrelated nonsense to the rube masses, who will continue to vote against their own interests.

I would like to see a new 3% tax for all employees where the money is put in a retirement age targeted mutual fund.

people in this country suck at controlling their…
Guns
Food
Drugs
and spending.

Not really.

Add in a SS tax on cap gains for those who have not maxed out the salary-based tax. Increase the salary tax limit on contributions to 250k, or make it higher on amounts between 140k and 250k

There are lots of ways to address the gap; unfortunately making the uber-rich pay their fair share is immensely difficult when they have practically unlimited cash to propagandize unrelated nonsense to the rube masses, who will continue to vote against their own interests.
I don’t disagree on raising the limit. I’m saying it would be unpopular politically for a certain segment of the population.

We can patch this to bridge to 2040 when boomers are dying in Big numbers.

Because doing away with Roe only loses you an election in certain areas that you probably don’t win anyway.

Getting rid of social security loses you elections everywhere.

Even Johnson’s comments don’t come near to saying he wants to get rid of it…it’s a red herring.

R’s we’re pretty open about their ambitions to get rid of Roe.

Hence….not comparable. Unless you’re into false equivalencies
Yeah Johnson wants to fund it. He wants to make it better. He would never do anything to make it worse

Raise the cap and be done with it. There is absolutely no reason a movie star, professional athelete, hedge fund manger, CEO, etc.etc. should not have 100% of his income taxed just like the average ditch digger does now.
No cap on taxes but a cap on benefits? Would you then be in favor of a flat tax?

That's why they should be eliminated. Income is income. Why is Joe the Plumber taxed at a higher rate going out and getting his hands dirty every day, than Jared Kushner is for making a few phone calls and checking the markets? Capital gains was a good idea back when you wanted to encourage people to invest, but everyone knows the value in that now.

For a guy making $20k, $40k, $60 a year just from investments, paying capital gains doesn't give him any benefit over federal tax. Actually, it PENALIZES you by denying you SS benefits on those taxes you would otherwise be earning! Eliminate capital gains full stop. Income is income, tax it as such. It'll help small investors, and make the oligarch class living off inheritance and investments finally pay their fair share.
Capital Gains are taxed at 0% for married couples with taxable income below $83,550. Do you want to increase taxes on those married couples?

• Haha
Again...and this cannot be overstated...Republicans have always opposed the idea of Social Security and MediCare! Ever since their beginnings! Republicans have always claimed “the private sector can do it cheaper, better, and more efficiently” than the government, although they have never offered a program as evidence or proof!
Somewhere in the archives their is a great FDR speech where he is mocking the Republicans with his “we can do it better” quote.
One thing about FDR.....for the vast majority of his political career...he did own the Republicans.
Let me have the 12.4% rather than the social security system. I will have much higher retirement income investing this money on my own.

• Haha
Maybe not that, but Tom is 100% about Republicans wanting to get rid of SS and MediCare. Republicans have never forgiven FDR or LBJ for their genius I still supporting and implementing these two social programs.
The inherent insolvency of government run ponzis like social security can never be solved because we have voters like joelbc1 that think this is genius level work.

A privately run Ponzi eventually runs out of suckers like joelbc1, but a government run one can leech productive capital for decades longer by compulsory membership and ever increasing ‘contributions’.

He has no inkling of how upside down the return is for future generations, he just knows momma got hers and he’s getting his, screw erryboddy else!

Last edited:
D's want to disincentivize financial success through taxation for the benefit of those who are unwilling to take personal responsibility for their own financial lives.

I will never call my social security or medicare benefits an entitlement. It is rightfully mine. It is a horrible investment that I am forced to make on the first $149,000 of my income, and that cap increases more each year than my benefits.

I am in full support of getting back everything I have put into the social security and medicare system with interest equivalent to the returns of a 60/40 portfolio with dollar weighted averaging.

ADVERTISEMENT