ADVERTISEMENT

Sen. Josh Hawley (R-Mo.) introduces alternative to Critical Race Theory - The ‘Love America Act’

Morrison71

HR Legend
Nov 10, 2006
Sen. Josh Hawley (R-Mo.) is the latest conservative politician to take the culture wars to the schools. On Thursday, Hawley announced that he will introduce a bill that bans critical race theory and requires schools to teach kids about the Constitution, Bill of Rights, and Declaration of Independence. Schools that violate the “Love America Act” will lose federal funding.

Sen. Josh Hawley (R-Mo.) is the latest conservative politician to take the culture wars to the schools. On Thursday, Hawley announced that he will introduce a bill that bans critical race theory and requires schools to teach kids about the Constitution, Bill of Rights, and Declaration of Independence. Schools that violate the “Love America Act” will lose federal funding.
Click to shrink...

The internet is not here for it. The Love America Act was widely panned online, in part because schools already teach about the nation’s founding (some might say exhaustively). And partly because primary schools do not teach critical race theory, an academic theory that examines United States law and history through a lens that includes the influence of slavery and systemic racism. It’s mostly taught at law schools and universities.

Conservatives have nevertheless made critical race theory, often abbreviated to simply “CRT,” a primary front in their war against what they view as excessive wokeness. In their view, it’s racist to teach about racism.

The Love America Act is among more than a dozen pieces of legislation targeting critical race theory in schools at the state level, NBC News reports.
Click to shrink...

Twitter users wasted no time dunking on Hawley and the Love America Act.

“In China they call this ‘patriotic education,'” opined@DrLeeJones, one of many to suggest that the bill has fascist leanings.

Others suggested additional legislation, such as the “Cheerleaders Have to Date Me Act,” “Hallelujah Amen America Is Best Ever Hawk Eagle Patriot Apple Pie Act,” and the “You Must Love America Or Else Act.”

What a goddamned moron. I’d bet all of my money and possessions that at least one time in the last 5 years he took the stance that we need to get rid of the DOE and leave education to the states and locals.
What’s sad is that we know he did it to try to cash in on the outrage over CRT.

i think you’re right about him and the DOE. Not the first either.

Isn't the teaching of all these documents done already in elementary social studies?

I am proposing the Stop the Stupid Names Act which will ban these types of pandering titles to legislation that has nothing to do with it’s name. Just assign them numbers based in numerical order and cut the bullshit.

200.gif

I am WAY late to this game.....but just two simple questions.

The Act that Hawley wants to introduce is not needed because all of the ideas he is wanting to cover (I.E. Learning about the Consitution, Bill of rights, etc.) already happens in school.....correct?

CRT is also not needed in that schools already cover the points that it relates to (I.E Slavery, KKK, Ect.). Correct? Why are we trying to reinvent the wheel with these things?

Reactions: sob5 and abby97
Honest question. Does his bill actually say "critical race theory" or are we just ascribing that term to it and then mocking him for it?

I am WAY late to this game.....but just two simple questions.

The Act that Hawley wants to introduce is not needed because all of the ideas he is wanting to cover (I.E. Learning about the Consitution, Bill of rights, etc.) already happens in school.....correct?

CRT is also not needed in that schools already cover the points that it relates to (I.E Slavery, KKK, Ect.). Correct? Why are we trying to reinvent the wheel with these things?
You do know that CRT isn't taught in elementary, middle or high schools in the USA? Right?

Forcing students to love America is bad, but forcing to them to hate it is OK? You have an interesting outlook on life. :rolleyes:
"Forcing them to hate America?"

Where do you get this nonsense????

Exposing students to our actual history is forcing them to hate our country?

You cannot be serious.

It is essentially an effort to expose students to what has actually happened in this country. No?

If they hate America after this exposure, maybe that has to do with what has happened in our past, and our attempts to white-wash it.

Are you in favor of white-washing our nation's history into something that does not reflect what has actually happened?

Why?

Do you not trust our students to look at something that has happened and then let them process it into their beliefs?

What are you so afraid of?

Forcing students to love America is bad, but forcing to them to hate it is OK? You have an interesting outlook on life. :rolleyes:
Well, it should be pretty obvious that you cannot FORCE people to love or hate ANYTHING.

You cannot be serious.

It is essentially an effort to expose students to what has actually happened in this country. No?

If they hate America after this exposure, maybe that has to do with what has happened in our past, and our attempts to white-wash it.

Are you in favor of white-washing our nation's history into something that does not reflect what has actually happened?

Why?

Do you not trust our students to look at something that has happened and then let them process it into their beliefs?

So you think all of these people taking down statues are afraid correct? Afraid of facing down actual history?

So you think all of these people taking down statues are afraid correct? Afraid of facing down actual history?
Are you serious?

They are not afraid of facing down our actual history. They are facing down our mistakes and doing so appropriately. That takes more courage to do so than what those who supported the erection of these statues did. How much resistance did those people receive erecting these statues in a part of the country that adored these said "heroes"? If you don't believe that, why are those who want these statues removed catching so much flack, from people like yourself?

Why does Nathan Bedford Forrest have statues erected in his "honor"? Because he murdered a bunch of Black Union soldiers who were trying to surrender? Or, because he led the KKK during the Reconstruction period and became one of our nation's first domestic terrorists?

Statues are put up to honor heroes.

Are the ones being taken down actually some of our nation's heroes?

Give it another thought or two, why don't you?

Reactions: SL Hawk Fan
Are you serious?
Are you serious?
They are not afraid of facing down our actual history. They are facing down our mistakes and doing so appropriately. That takes more courage to do so than what those who supported the erection of these statues did. How much resistance did those people receive erecting these statues in a part of the country that adored these said "heroes"? If you don't believe that, why are those who want these statues removed catching so much flack, from people like yourself?

Why does Nathan Bedford Forrest have statues erected in his "honor"? Because he murdered a bunch of Black Union soldiers who were trying to surrender? Or, because he led the KKK during the Reconstruction period and became one of our nation's first domestic terrorists?

Statues are put up to honor heroes.

Are the ones being taken down actually some of our nation's heroes?

Give it another thought or two, why don't you?

Those are easy pickins’. Washington and Jefferson are heroes no? Teddy Roosevelt? Grant? Lincoln? Francis Scott Key? Why do these statues need to come down as opposed to those like Lenin who stay up? Should we talk about books being banned? I only brought it up because you talked about being afraid to let people see our history…good and bad.

You cannot be serious.

Why?

You keep trying to convince yourself CRT is actual history if that allows you to sleep at night but the rest of us know what it really is, BS.

Are you serious?

Those are easy pickins’. Washington and Jefferson are heroes no? Teddy Roosevelt? Grant? Lincoln? Francis Scott Key? Why do these statues need to come down as opposed to those like Lenin who stay up? Should we talk about books being banned? I only brought it up because you talked about being afraid to let people see our history…good and bad.
Easy pickins'?

Well, at least let's agree to get rid of those, right? They have no place in the good of our nation's history.

Given our nation's history, there seems to be a lot of our heroes who have skeletons in their closets. They should at least be discussed. Maybe you can expand on the scandals of those you accuse? Nothing wrong with that. Let them be judged by today's standards, I guess, their good and their bad.

But, I honestly didn't realize Lenin statues were left standing in our country.

My bad.

Maybe you can explain that one?

ADVERTISEMENT