ADVERTISEMENT

Sen. Josh Hawley (R-Mo.) introduces alternative to Critical Race Theory - The ‘Love America Act’

I am WAY late to this game.....but just two simple questions.

The Act that Hawley wants to introduce is not needed because all of the ideas he is wanting to cover (I.E. Learning about the Consitution, Bill of rights, etc.) already happens in school.....correct?

CRT is also not needed in that schools already cover the points that it relates to (I.E Slavery, KKK, Ect.). Correct? Why are we trying to reinvent the wheel with these things?

Did you learn about redlining, The Tulsa Race Massacre and Juneteenth in school? Because I didn't.

The depths of oppression African Americans faced and still face are most certainly not being taught in schools.

Quite frankly the more actual history I've learned about America and it's founding the more I've found the whole thing a disappointment. There is very little about it to actually be proud of.

Did you learn about redlining, The Tulsa Race Massacre and Juneteenth in school? Because I didn't.

The depths of oppression African Americans faced and still face are most certainly not being taught in schools.

Quite frankly the more actual history I've learned about America and it's founding the more I've found the whole thing a disappointment. There is very little about it to actually be proud of.

I don't think anyone heard of this. It was a mega Jim Crow crime.

Reactions: TheCainer
I am WAY late to this game.....but just two simple questions.

The Act that Hawley wants to introduce is not needed because all of the ideas he is wanting to cover (I.E. Learning about the Consitution, Bill of rights, etc.) already happens in school.....correct?

CRT is also not needed in that schools already cover the points that it relates to (I.E Slavery, KKK, Ect.). Correct? Why are we trying to reinvent the wheel with these things?

Right wing talking points.

tenor.gif

Until you compare us to basically any other country...then maybe our warts are not as bad....

Reactions: Hawkman34
Until you compare us to basically any other country...then maybe our warts are not as bad....

Here is the difference. . . other developed countries don't carry around a national mythos that they take pride in like we do.

We talk far far FAR too much here about what the founding father's envisioned.

The national mythos of the founding fathers is so drilled into our heads that we actually give a shit what they thought about stuff more than 200 years later.

Do you think in France when discussing a politically issue they are talking about what Napoleon or Charles De Gaul envisioned for the country? In Germany do you think they discuss the vision of Otto Von Bismark? In England are they discussing the vision that William the Conqueror or William PItt the Younger had for the country??? Do you think Japan worries about the vision the Emperor Menji had for the country?

The answer for the record is no.

The only nations that worry about the vision of a guy who's long dead are Communist China (to some extent they still care about Chairman Mao), North Korea (They are all about Kim il Sung) and other nations like that.

This is honestly one of the things that is holding us back as a country. We care too damn much about what the founders intended for this country and so we are chained to some extent 200 year old thinking and ideas.

Other countries learn about their history so that they don't repeat the bad stuff. Not so that they can emulate someone from 200 years go.

Seriously ask yourself why we should care what George Washington envisioned for this country. He's gone, he's dead and he's not coming back. We're here right now and that's what there is. Maybe we should do what's best for us right now. This country doesn't belong to Washington or any of the founders. THEY ARE DEAD. This country belongs to us now. We are alive. It's our country. And when we are dead our great grandchildren should just go ahead and run the country in the way that is best for them. I hope my great grandchildren are not asking themselves what their great grandfather would have wanted when they make life decisions.

We're supposed to be different. That's how we present ourselves. We had a devious past supposedly overcome, championing human rights, supporting efforts to democratize governments, etc..

We since fell off the cliff, turning our back on immigrants fleeing murderous regimes, blowing off obvious and devastating patterns and affects of climate change, and ignoring a pandemic which has taken over 600,000 American lives.

Our road and infrastructure is crumbling and water and sewer systems have decayed beyond repair in many places. Action and legislation has been frozen for more than a decade.

We used to be proud and had something to be proud of. Now we talk of being proud of something of because we feel that will make us proud.

What's amazingly never said by the right wing historians, given their propensity to expound their love of the free market, is that most of the founding fathers wanted was to decide from whom they bought their tea, and to whom they sold their tobacco and cotton.

We're supposed to be different. That's how we present ourselves. We had a devious past supposedly overcome, championing human rights, supporting efforts to democratize governments, etc..

We since fell off the cliff, turning our back on immigrants fleeing murderous regimes, blowing off obvious and devastating patterns and affects of climate change, and ignoring a pandemic which has taken over 600,000 American lives.

Our road and infrastructure is crumbling and water and sewer systems have decayed beyond repair in many places. Action and legislation has been frozen for more than a decade.

We used to be proud and had something to be proud of. Now we talk of being proud of something of because we feel that will make us proud.

Come off the ledge...Don't believe the hype. Either way.

Here is the difference. . . other developed countries don't carry around a national mythos that they take pride in like we do.

We talk far far FAR too much here about what the founding father's envisioned.

The national mythos of the founding fathers is so drilled into our heads that we actually give a shit what they thought about stuff more than 200 years later.

Do you think in France when discussing a politically issue they are talking about what Napoleon or Charles De Gaul envisioned for the country? In Germany do you think they discuss the vision of Otto Von Bismark? In England are they discussing the vision that William the Conqueror or William PItt the Younger had for the country??? Do you think Japan worries about the vision the Emperor Menji had for the country?

The answer for the record is no.

The only nations that worry about the vision of a guy who's long dead are Communist China (to some extent they still care about Chairman Mao), North Korea (They are all about Kim il Sung) and other nations like that.

This is honestly one of the things that is holding us back as a country. We care too damn much about what the founders intended for this country and so we are chained to some extent 200 year old thinking and ideas.

Other countries learn about their history so that they don't repeat the bad stuff. Not so that they can emulate someone from 200 years go.

Seriously ask yourself why we should care what George Washington envisioned for this country. He's gone, he's dead and he's not coming back. We're here right now and that's what there is. Maybe we should do what's best for us right now. This country doesn't belong to Washington or any of the founders. THEY ARE DEAD. This country belongs to us now. We are alive. It's our country. And when we are dead our great grandchildren should just go ahead and run the country in the way that is best for them. I hope my great grandchildren are not asking themselves what their great grandfather would have wanted when they make life decisions.

Bismarck's legacy has lasted for hundreds of years lol. You approach this from a very weird angle. People refer to the Founder's intentions when it came to the Constitution, beyond that not much.

People look to Jefferson as a political philosopher, etc. at this point.

Who should we use as reference points for the Country?

Did you learn about redlining, The Tulsa Race Massacre and Juneteenth in school? Because I didn't. I am absolutely for addressing those omissions Hoosier. We did learn about Redlining in our economics class. The Tulsa Race Massacre is an incredible black eye for this country and the fact that it has not been taught is incredibly horrific and should change. And, if you are asking if we learned about the Thirteenth amendment...absolutely. Now, there are many things in this country's past that should have been taught and weren't. I guaranty neither of us were ever taught about the many Indian Massacres that took place in this country's past. All terrible omissions. But again, we are not talking about reinventing the wheel....only modifying it correctly.

The depths of oppression African Americans faced and still face are most certainly not being taught in schools. There is no denying the history of this county with respect to the treatment of African American's...as well as other minority groups. But, we must acknowledge (at least a little bit), that the entire country's populations was NOT on board nor participating in those actions against minorities.

Quite frankly the more actual history I've learned about America and it's founding the more I've found the whole thing a disappointment. There is very little about it to actually be proud of. I can be both ashamed of the terrible things that have occurred in this country's past and also proud of the many wonderful things this country has done. I am still proud to be apart of this county and hope that both myself and my family can be apart of making it better for all.

Bismarck's legacy has lasted for hundreds of years lol. You approach this from a very weird angle. People refer to the Founder's intentions when it came to the Constitution, beyond that not much.

This exactly. When people talk about what the founding fathers wanted...they talk about the Constitution. For all of our many faults as a county......we still have more people flocking here to be apart of this land then any other country on this planet. Why? If we are such a deplorable country, then we should see the opposite. Truly look into other country's histories and you will see many of the same horrible events that have taken place in our past......only many on a much bigger scale. Again, you can acknowledge the terrible things that have happened and work to make sure they never happen again AND also understand that many great things HAVE HAPPENED in this country.

His legacy lasted for a long time but they were not asking themselves "What would Otto do?" when it comes to political issues. No one is worried about Otto's intentions.

We shouldn't use any person for a reference point in this country. We should look at other countries and see what they are doing well and emulate that.

We could emulate Germany's healthcare system. But we won't because too many people think the founders would have hated that idea.

We could be emulating Norway's prison's systems. But we won't.

We could be emulating Switzerland's gun laws. But we won't

We're stuck spinning our wheels because too many people are worried about what some guy who lived 200 years ago would think.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT