ADVERTISEMENT

Senate Considering $10B for Highway Removal

But Trump supporters aren’t racist.
You do realize the issue has always been more related to class than color, right? I live on a street with African Americans, Filipinos, Hispanics and Whites...lowest home value is $400K and we all get along marvelously.

A good friend of mine, who is black, told me a long time ago race stops being an issue once people reach a certain affluency level.

*let the record show I said "more" not solely.

Last edited:
When the major cities tear up the freeways, install bike paths, light rails and luxury housing the murderers won't be able to afford be there.

Which may be the point. Gentrify downtowns and disperse these ghettos of despair more equitably ... give kids a shot at suburban schools. I'm willing to give it a try.

Reactions: Jerome Silberman
How would you like one in front of or over your house?
Why not work towards relocation and rebuilding inner cities and those areas in close proximity. At some point we have to realize we can't go back, we can only go forward and make amends the best way we know how...unless you're suggesting we return all the land to the Native Americans, pack up and head to Europe (or wherever else folks ancestors are from).

Last edited:
Which may be the point. Gentrify downtowns and disperse these ghettos of despair more equitably ... give kids a shot at suburban schools. I'm willing to give it a try.

Me too. This isn't a new idea, and has been successful in European and Canadian cities.

Why not work towards relocation and rebuilding inner cities and those areas in close proximity. At some point we have to realize we can't go back, we can only go forward and make amends the best way we know how...unless you're suggesting we return all the land to the Native Americans, pack up and head to Europe (or wherever else folks ancestors are from).
Relocation would cost more.

$10 billion nationwide won't replace any highways. But surely we can all recognize that we wronged all these minority neighborhoods when they were being built and try to repair that damage.

Nope, I don't think all of us are able to recognize that...

These highways are a disgrace. They cut right through black neighborhoods because they knew black people couldn't fight back. It'll take a lot more than this amount to repair the damage wrought but this is a first step.
They were routed specifically to isolate black communities. It was planned.

Cities might soon get federal money to tear down inner-city highways that federal dollars built in the first place — and use that money to reinvest in communities of color that those highways destroyed.

Shortly before the holiday recess, then-Senate minority leader Chuck Schumer and a coalition of 25 Democratic senators introduced a $435 billion economic justice bill called S5065 that included a $10-billion pilot program aimed at helping communities tear down urban highways, and rebuild the surrounding neighborhoods with the needs of underserved communities in mind. The Restoring Neighborhoods and Strengthening Communities Program — known among advocates as the “Highways to Boulevards” initiative — would only be available for projects located in regions with a high concentration of low income residents or residents of color.

Perhaps most critically, the initiative would make significant funds available specifically for the “community engagement and capacity building” necessary to identify what underserved residents actually want to do with all the valuable land freed up when freeways are torn down. Such funds are rarely the focus of federal transportation grants, which typically prioritize hard construction costs over the dignity of the surrounding community.
I'm on board. Urban interstates ruined the neighborhoods they run through and only make traffic worse.

Cities might soon get federal money to tear down inner-city highways that federal dollars built in the first place — and use that money to reinvest in communities of color that those highways destroyed.

Shortly before the holiday recess, then-Senate minority leader Chuck Schumer and a coalition of 25 Democratic senators introduced a $435 billion economic justice bill called S5065 that included a $10-billion pilot program aimed at helping communities tear down urban highways, and rebuild the surrounding neighborhoods with the needs of underserved communities in mind. The Restoring Neighborhoods and Strengthening Communities Program — known among advocates as the “Highways to Boulevards” initiative — would only be available for projects located in regions with a high concentration of low income residents or residents of color.

Perhaps most critically, the initiative would make significant funds available specifically for the “community engagement and capacity building” necessary to identify what underserved residents actually want to do with all the valuable land freed up when freeways are torn down. Such funds are rarely the focus of federal transportation grants, which typically prioritize hard construction costs over the dignity of the surrounding community.
We really need to use "color" as a rationale to help people?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT