ADVERTISEMENT

Senate Dems question legality of Trump work requirements

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Good for them:

Democratic senators are questioning the legality of the Trump administration’s new policy letting states make low-income adults work to get Medicaid coverage.

Expect their arguments to be echoed in lawsuits planned by opponents of work requirements.

Last week, the Trump administration said it will let states require work as a condition of coverage for “able-bodied” adults. Officials promptly approved a waiver request by Kentucky to carry out its plan.

Senators sent a letter drafted by Sen. Ron Wyden of Oregon and signed by 29 other Democrats. It says work requirements contradict the plain text and purpose of the Medicaid statute, as well as longstanding congressional intent.

The administration says studies show work promotes better health, so a work requirement would fit with Medicaid.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/medicaid-work-requirement-democrats-legality/

The key is able-bodied. If you can work you should work, otherwise you're nothing more that a leech. Now there are people that are either physically or mentally unable to work, totally different.

We've had work requirements for other welfare programs. Why would this even be an issue?

Because if we have anything close to another great depression in this country, there will be a lot of people dead in the streets with no access to healthcare.

I find it odd how people so easily forget why many of these things were created in the first place.

Because if we have anything close to another great depression in this country, there will be a lot of people dead in the streets with no access to healthcare.

I find it odd how people so easily forget why many of these things were created in the first place.

Sorry, but I don't understand this comment,.... Nope, not getting this....

Reactions: HKI
Cue Dennis Hopper: Pop quiz hot shot. What happens to poor people without medical coverage when they get sick or injured? Die? Maybe, but probably not. Get medical treatment? Sure, and from where?

Dems should probably stop pissing on middle class values if they want to take the house, senate, or executive

Cue Dennis Hopper: Pop quiz hot shot. What happens to poor people without medical coverage when they get sick or injured? Die? Maybe, but probably not. Get medical treatment? Sure, and from where?

I don't believe anyone is talking about the elimination of Medicaid....

I'm in favor of workfare. If I was in charge I would expand it to have direct government jobs if people couldn't find one. There is no reason we couldn't have smart enough regulation to deal with the possibility of an economic downturn either, we deal with that reality in other programs now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT