ADVERTISEMENT

Senate preparing to bailout Bezo's space firm

seminole97

HR Legend
Jun 14, 2005
Now that Jeff Bezos’s space flight company Blue Origin has lost a multibillion contract to Elon Musk’s SpaceX, Congress is prepping the ground for Bezos to win a contract anyway, ordering NASA to make not one but two awards.

The order would come through the Endless Frontier Act, a bill to beef up resources for science and technology research that’s being debated on the Senate floor this week. An amendment was added to that legislation by Sen. Maria Cantwell, D-Wash., to hand over $10 billion to NASA — money that most likely would go to Blue Origin, a company that’s headquartered in Cantwell’s home state.

Cantwell’s amendment is no sure bet though: Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., introduced a last-minute amendment Monday to eliminate the $10 billion. “It does not make a lot of sense to me that we would provide billions of dollars to a company owned by the wealthiest guy in America,” Sanders told The Intercept Tuesday.

The Bezos space company had been competing against SpaceX for a contract to put astronauts on the moon, the first such trips since 1972, but lost the bidding process with a price tag twice that of SpaceX. NASA announced the award to the Elon Musk-owned company last month.

Cantwell’s measure wouldn’t rescind the grant to SpaceX but would create an additional contract that Bezos’s company would be in line to win. A third company, Dynetics, had also bid for the moonshot, but the author of the new amendment offers a strong suggestion of which company it’s likely to benefit.

Cantwell told NASA’s incoming administrator, former Sen. Bill Nelson, that she was surprised at the way the award unfolded, before introducing the legislation to add a new one.

“I think there needs to be redundancy,” or multiple contractors in case one fails, she told Nelson at his confirmation hearing. “And it has to be clear this process can’t be redundancy later. It has to be redundancy now.”

Reactions: Moral
Remember folks...in the immortal words of Terry Branstad, Iowa's Governor for Life, on the campaign trail in 2010....."the purpose of government is NOT to select winners and losers"......

Words that sound nicve......but are not a politician's friend.

Reactions: GOHOX69
“I think there needs to be redundancy,” or multiple contractors in case one fails, she told Nelson at his confirmation hearing. “And it has to be clear this process can’t be redundancy later. It has to be redundancy now.”

Very smart. Same reason the 3 little pigs built their own homes.

Very smart. Same reason the 3 little pigs built their own homes.

I can sort of see the argument, one does not want to leave SpaceX with a monopoly on all of this.

That said I am not sure that Blue Orgin is going to die without this contract considering Bezos has just announced his intention to take his own company's rocket into space.

I can sort of see the argument, one does not want to leave SpaceX with a monopoly on all of this.

That said I am not sure that Blue Orgin is going to die without this contract considering Bezos has just announced his intention to take his own company's rocket into space.
I think I agree. It depends I guess on how much in-house capability NASA still has. If NASA is turning things over to the private sector, there needs to be competition. If NASA is just using the program to supplement its own, then we don’t need two contracts.

Reactions: h-hawk
I think I agree. It depends I guess on how much in-house capability NASA still has. If NASA is turning things over to the private sector, there needs to be competition. If NASA is just using the program to supplement its own, then we don’t need two contracts.

I definitely agree competition is important and obviously this is an industry with limited buyers. However, redundancy <> competition. Maybe it’s semantics, but a freaking senator requesting $10 billion for a backup plan seems moronic and outside her lane. Why wasn’t that included in the original plan?

Reactions: CarolinaHawkeye
I definitely agree competition is important and obviously this is an industry with limited buyers. However, redundancy <> competition. Maybe it’s semantics, but a freaking senator requesting $10 billion for a backup plan seems moronic and outside her lane. Why wasn’t that included in the original plan?
I just don’t know enough about it to hold a firm opinion one way or the other. In my mind it comes down to how much capability NASA has and intends to have going forward.

Last edited:
And I should clarify by competition I mean not a monopoly, not just for this program, but for future space exploration and exploitation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT