ADVERTISEMENT

Senate punts on same-sex marriage vote until after midterms

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
The Senate will delay voting on a measure to protect same-sex marriage until after November’s midterm elections as Republican support for the measure remains uncertain, lawmakers announced Thursday.
The decision to hold off on a vote came after weeks of bipartisan negotiations where a small group of senators had been working to alleviate the concerns of Republican senators in an attempt to persuade them to back the legislation.

The Respect for Marriage Act would enshrine federal protections for same-sex and interracial marriages and repeal the 1996 Defense of Marriage Act, which recognizes marriages in the United States as between one man and one woman.

But the prospect of a vote less than two months from the midterm elections, in which control of the Senate is at stake, left some Republicans skittish about taking a position on the legislation.

Sens. Susan Collins (R-Maine) and Tammy Baldwin (D-Wis.) have been working alongside Sens. Rob Portman (R-Ohio), Kyrsten Sinema (D-Ariz.) and Thom Tillis (R-N.C.) to find 10 Republican votes necessary for it to pass.
Some Republicans said they were unwilling to support the bill unless it included more airtight protections for religious liberty and clarification that the law would not legalize polygamy.
Two Republican senators in tight reelection battles would have had to vote on the issue: Sens. Marco Rubio (Fla.) and Ron Johnson (Wis.). Johnson had said in a statement earlier this summer that he saw no reason to oppose the measure but has since backtracked, saying this month that he is concerned about religious protections.
The push to codify same-sex marriage became more urgent to liberals after the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade this summer, motivating Democrats to hold a vote on the issue and protect the right from future challenges.
The House of Representatives passed the measure with the support of all Democrats and 47 Republicans in July.

What's this religious opposition? Either you believe in gay marriage or you don't.

Why do they care so much how people choose to live their lives either within the bedroom or in marriage? I refuse to understand. Sure, polygamy can be difficult to handle from a legislative/tax perspective and so I understand why trying to determine how to handle it can be difficult, but why are people so opposed to those who believe in it doing so.

I still think there is a legit window in December. There are several GOP senators who have voiced support. Even a nut like Ron Johnson has said he'd be supportive. I can see all three of the retiring GOP senators vote yes.
Most just don't want to go on the record right now.

It seems like there might be some GOP Senators that don't want to go on record one way or the other right before an election. It'll probably pass when the calendar is a little more favorable in regards to power retention.

Reactions: cigaretteman
ADVERTISEMENT