ADVERTISEMENT

Senator claims bipartisan gun deal

I worry #2 will be spun as “See! They want to take our guns!” and sink the deal.

2/ Major funding to help states pass and implement crisis intervention orders (red flag laws) that will allow law enforcement to temporarily take dangerous weapons away from people who pose a danger to others or themselves.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
It's a start, but it doesn't really do much. But it's something the Republicans can vote for and then pat themselves on the back about.

Unless they're forcing proper reporting of the Federal Background Check system and closing all loopholes of buying guns without the background check then this isn't going very far.

I'm also not certain how much the "Enhanced" background check for gun buyers under 21 will do.

Seems like another do-nothing bill.

Well, doesn’t seem like it actually does much. But hey, at least it’s a step in the right direction. Get it passed and sent to Biden.

The Democrats are freaking pathetic. A watered down nothing that gives the Republicans bi-partisan cover for doing nothing.
I doubt this actually gets passed. Many Democrats will withhold because it does nothing and many Republicans will withhold because it does too much in their opinion.

I doubt this actually gets passed. Many Democrats will withhold because it does nothing and many Republicans will withhold because it does too much in their opinion.
No, only a completely nuts Republican wouldn't go for this. The only thing they could possibly object to are the supposed enhanced background checks for 18-20 yr olds, whatever that's gonna mean in practice, which is probably nothing.

The ongoing saga of the old people running the Democratic party and the "moderate/centrist" wing of the party. Like I read somewhere, they're the Washington Generals, always dancing to the Republicans tune, always getting played and made to look foolish. Just pathetic.

They had a perfect issue with guns for the November elections where they could take political advantage and also do the right thing and the morons did exactly what the Republicans wanted them to do. Hell, it's worse than that, this is way better than the Republicans could have dreamed of in the current environment. The people running the Democratic party are just blockheaded old idiots.

No, only a completely nuts Republican wouldn't go for this. The only thing they could possibly object to are the supposed enhanced background checks for 18-20 yr olds, whatever that's gonna mean in practice, which is probably nothing.

The ongoing saga of the old people running the Democratic party and the "moderate/centrist" wing of the party. Like I read somewhere, they're the Washington Generals, always dancing to the Republicans tune, always getting played and made to look foolish. Just pathetic.

They had a perfect issue with guns for the November elections where they could take political advantage and also do the right thing and the morons did exactly what the Republicans wanted them to do. Hell, it's worse than that, this is way better than the Republicans could have dreamed of in the current environment. The people running the Democratic party are just blockheaded old idiots.
I don’t disagree with you….but I expected them to do zilch, ever….so anything is progress.

On the other hand, you could make a case that the ‘all or nothing’ wing is going to sink the Democratic Party.

It's a start, but it doesn't really do much. But it's something the Republicans can vote for and then pat themselves on the back about.

Unless they're forcing proper reporting of the Federal Background Check system and closing all loopholes of buying guns without the background check then this isn't going very far.

I'm also not certain how much the "Enhanced" background check for gun buyers under 21 will do.

Seems like another do-nothing bill.
The enhanced background checks will allow juvenile records to be accessed and require that it is completed before the transaction. It should help.

My preference would be to ban all purchases until they're 21.

There’s no point in holding out for something more. Something more isn’t going to happen. It would be like a Republican holding out for a federal abortion ban, it isn’t going to happen.

I like the federal assistance to assist Red flag laws at the state level. A national red flag law won’t work.

Reactions: globalhawk
The enhanced background checks will allow juvenile records to be accessed and require that it is completed before the transaction. It should help.

My preference would be to ban all purchases until they're 21.
Agreed. I got a bolt action .22 for my 14th birthday and had access to my old man’s single shot .410.
If these were the type of weapons under discussion, I might push back against requiring the age to be 21.
These are not the type of weapons that cause problems.

On the other hand, you could make a case that the ‘all or nothing’ wing is going to sink the Democratic Party.
Oh JFC, this guy again. Perfect Rep for these turds. You're such an ass-hole blah blah blah.

The "all or nothing" wing of the Democratic Party is Manchin/Sinema and the self-styled centrists/moderates. It's not who you're accusing. Name one goddammed thing the people you're attacking with this bullshit have blocked or stopped.

In the current political environment with the current political realities per Congress there was a chance to get real gun reform if Democrats applied maximum pressure and if not to use it to bash Republicans until November to change representation in Congress to get real gun laws reform.

That chance ends with this, and neutralizes the issue and makes it even more inevitable that Democrats are going to get clobbered in November. Again, the Dems had a chance here to do the right thing and also help themselves immensely when it came to November, and they have completely effed it up. Couldn't have played it any worse.

Reactions: littlez
Agreed. I got a bolt action .22 for my 14th birthday and had access to my old man’s single shot .410.
If these were the type of weapons under discussion, I might push back against requiring the age to be 21.
These are not the type of weapons that cause problems.
We remove all rimfire from the regulations, as well as exceptions for military service. The military service is already there for handgun purchases.
18 year old's are not the 18 year old's of days past. Hell most of them are afraid to get a driver's license.

Reactions: billanole
Oh JFC, this guy again. Perfect Rep for these turds. You're such an ass-hole blah blah blah.

The "all or nothing" wing of the Democratic Party is Manchin/Sinema and the self-styled centrists/moderates. It's not who you're accusing. Name one goddammed thing the people you're attacking with this bullshit have blocked or stopped.

In the current political environment with the current political realities per Congress there was a chance to get real gun reform if Democrats applied maximum pressure and if not to use it to bash Republicans until November to change representation in Congress to get real gun laws reform.

That chance ends with this, and neutralizes the issue and makes it even more inevitable that Democrats are going to get clobbered in November. Again, the Dems had a chance here to do the right thing and also help themselves immensely when it came to November, and they have completely effed it up. Couldn't have played it any worse.
Ah, BS.

The complaint forever has been that there’s no bipartisanship and DC can’t work together and GOP won’t budge on guns, etc etc.

Here we have a glimmer of hope that the parties might be able to - finally - do something meaningful in response to a tragedy. But because it doesn’t give you everything what you want you whine and complain about Dems caving and giving up the opportunity to use it as a campaign issue (which is exactly what the GOP accuses you of, by the way - why do you want to prove them right?!?!).

Why would you think you would get everything you wanted from the GOP? It’s compromise, you dumbass.

Enjoy your 100% of nothing.

Ah, BS.

The complaint forever has been that there’s no bipartisanship and DC can’t work together and GOP won’t budge on guns, etc etc.

Here we have a glimmer of hope that the parties might be able to - finally - do something meaningful in response to a tragedy. But because it doesn’t give you everything what you want you whine and complain about Dems caving and giving up the opportunity to use it as a campaign issue (which is exactly what the GOP accuses you of, by the way - why do you want to prove them right?!?!).

Why would you think you would get everything you wanted from the GOP? It’s compromise, you dumbass.

You are such a perfect rep for these loser dumb asses. This bill is 100% of nothing. It's not a "compromise". It's a Republican dream bill. What is in it that Republicans could possibly object to? Hell, vast and overwhelming majorities of Americans support universal background checks, solid majorities support banning assault and other automatic weapons. Democrats have done nothing here to represent/support those vast majorities that support those types of measures.

Gun law reform and gun control are real political issues that the Democratic party should use to differentiate itself between the Republican party and utilize as a club to pound the Republicans, like the Republicans do with imaginary bullshit like CRT and drag queen shows and all their other nonsense, which has included bullshit on guns explicitly claiming that Democrats want to take away all the guns.

I welcome Republicans accusing Democrats of using it as a campaign issue and I would have hoped that the Democrats would exploit the issue either to get real gun laws reform or as an issue in November. they have now done their best to eliminate it as an issue.

Reactions: littlez
Ah, BS.

Party over country at its finest.

You are such a perfect rep for these loser dumb asses. This bill is 100% of nothing. It's not a "compromise". It's a Republican dream bill. What is in it that Republicans could possibly object to? Hell, vast and overwhelming majorities of Americans support universal background checks, solid majorities support banning assault and other automatic weapons. Democrats have done nothing here to represent/support those vast majorities that support those types of measures.

Gun law reform and gun control are real political issues that the Democratic party should use to differentiate itself between the Republican party and utilize as a club to pound the Republicans, like the Republicans do with imaginary bullshit like CRT and drag queen shows and all their other nonsense, which has included bullshit on guns explicitly claiming that Democrats want to take away all the guns.

I welcome Republicans accusing Democrats of using it as a campaign issue and I would have hoped that the Democrats would exploit the issue either to get real gun laws reform or as an issue in November. they have now done their best to eliminate it as an issue.
Ok.
I guess everyone who thinks this is a positive step are just suckers.

Here we have a glimmer of hope that the parties might be able to - finally - do something meaningful in response to a tragedy.
Just have to highlight this, just so much bullshit, what this bill shows is the exact opposite of what you're claiming here. NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING "meaningful" is gonna happen with the current completely radicalized and intractable Republican Party and the current gerontocratic and completely feckless and submissive Democratic party.

• Haha
Reactions: TylerJ76
Just have to highlight this, just so much bullshit, what this bill shows is the exact opposite of what you're claiming here. NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING "meaningful" is gonna happen with the current completely radicalized and intractable Republican Party and the current gerontocratic and completely feckless and submissive Democratic party.
A negotiated compromise on gun control measures - EVEN IF THEY DO NOT GO AS FAR AS MANY OF US WOULD LIKE - is itself meaningful.

L Oh Freaking L. What does that even mean in the context of this thread? You're just a troll--so this is your nonsense territory, but I've pointed out before the nonsense world that guys like Nole end up in with their fetishization of "bi-partisanship" at all costs. Especially in the current environment of an openly fascist/authoritarian trending Republican party.

But just to say it flat-out, I'm the guy bashing the Democratic party in this thread, LOL that I'm the "party over country" guy here.

And another thing, how the hell does "party over country" even enter into this discussion? We're discussing legitimate political issues, and for our system to work the two main political parties need to represent the two sides of this issue. Right now the vast majorities that support real gun law reform are not represented by the leadership of either major political party. I'm standing up for those vast majorities in this thread..

• Haha
Reactions: GroupThink
I guess I see this as a good thing, and Start in the right direction.

Some of, will just never be satisfied.

Did you expect them to vote to take away guns?
Again, to reiterate. It's not a start, it's an end. It's an attempt by both political parties (and for the Dems this is a completely insane strategy) to take the issue off the table, it's a finish.

Where is the evidence that this is a "start"? Again, it's an end.

And then you throw in a complete red herring about voting to take away all the guns.

Again, to reiterate. It's not a start, it's an end. It's an attempt by both political parties (and for the Dems this is a completely insane strategy) to take the issue off the table, it's a finish.

Where is the evidence that this is a "start"? Again, it's an end.

And then you throw in a complete red herring about voting to take away all the guns.
What did you expect to happen? What would have been a "start" to you?

• Wow
A negotiated compromise on gun control measures - EVEN IF THEY DO NOT GO AS FAR AS MANY OF US WOULD LIKE - is itself meaningful.
What did the Republicans "compromise" on? What that they've openly opposed was included in this bill? What is included here that would not have passed before Uvalde?

Reactions: Firekirknow
It will pass, not sure why you think it won't. It only needs 60 to get it to a vote where it will pass easily. The only problem is it doesn't go far enough.
Because enough senators will say it’s not enough and will insist more be added if they want there vote. You know how this works.

What did the Republicans "compromise" on? What that they've openly opposed was included in this bill? What is included here that would not have passed before Uvalde?
What was the GOP putting on the table before Uvalde? I’m not aware of any discussion.
Crazy how you can’t see this as progress, simply because the GOP gains something too.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT