ADVERTISEMENT

Senior Nationals in Coralville:

Jan 10, 2007
Does anyone know who will be wrestling at this event for men's freestyle. I assume the Olympic qualifier's will not. Thanks in advance.

My understanding is that anyone who qualified for Olympic team trials does not need to wrestle at Senior Nationals in order to qualify for the upcoming World Team trials. Some may still attend but definitely not the Olympic qualifiers.

My understanding is that anyone who qualified for Olympic team trials does not need to wrestle at Senior Nationals in order to qualify for the upcoming World Team trials. Some may still attend but definitely not the Olympic qualifiers.
I think this is true, which means there is a good possibility there will be several Hawks wrestling.

Based on what I’ve read, if you made the Olympic team, you have to medal to be an auto qualifier for the World’s this October in Norway. If the medalist declines to compete, then there will be a trials process.

There are also the 4 non Olympic weights which have to be determined.

Reactions: crablegs1
Based on what I’ve read, if you made the Olympic team, you have to medal to be an auto qualifier for the World’s this October in Norway. If the medalist declines to compete, then there will be a trials process.

There are also the 4 non Olympic weights which have to be determined.
Sounds right. Olympic medalists straight to worlds if they want to compete there, otherwise they are up for grabs.

If a wrestler wins Olympic Gold and a World Gold Medal this year, they stand to make $350,000.00 this year. Not a bad annual salary.
I wonder if any wrestlers on the team can get the big time ad dollars from the Olympics? Burroughs in 16 had the big, non-wrestling, endorsements.

My thought is Snyder probably the most polished guy that might get in with these types of ads. Although I think Cox would have been the best with his personality and abilities off the mat.

I agree Snyder is polished from an ad sense. Yianni would be good too.
If you’re in college no ad dollars. Snyder struck his deal on April 2, 2018 with Rudis.
Taylor has a deal with Adidas wrestling shoes.
Win Olympic Gold and ad dollar revenue opportunities will probably appear.

I agree Snyder is polished from an ad sense. Yianni would be good too.
If you’re in college no ad dollars. Snyder struck his deal on April 2, 2018 with Rudis.
Taylor has a deal with Adidas wrestling shoes.
Win Olympic Gold and ad dollar revenue opportunities will probably appear.
I thought about Yianni too, unfortunately not on the team. Of course if we’re talking about anybody, Spencer is the perfect guy.

Now that I’m thinking about this a bit deeper I think that Maroulis might be the US most promoted wrestler this summer.

Reactions: Inthecircle
You are correct.

- Anyone that was qualified for the Olympic Trials is automatically qualified in
the US World Team Trials.
- Anyone placing in the top 5 at US Nationals, qualifies for WTT.
- If you wrestled in the bronze medal match at the Olympics and lost, you get
a bye to the semis of the WTT (and can move one adjacent weight class and
still get the bye to the semis).
- If you medaled at the Olympics, the spot on the World Team is yours if you
stay at the same weight.

Last edited:
So does Burroughs go 79 for Worlds?
If Dake Medals and wants to wrestle at Worlds, JB would have to go 79, If he wants to compete at Worlds.
It will be interesting to see if he jumps back on the competition train.
I’d rather see him place his shoes in the middle of the mat, rather than just retire.

Reactions: MilleGinja
Couldn't Dake choose to go back up to 79? Burroughs drops back in at his weight. That would be our best team.
Dake has made a big deal about the advantage of sitting to the finals of trials. I don’t think he is going to give Burroughs the spot and let him sit in the finals in 2024, even if Dake is confident he is better.

What they should do is have the Olympic weight trials first, then let certain people (maybe top 3 at the Olympic weight) either the a non-Olympic weight trials if the want it. That would allow guys like Burroughs/Dake, Cox to get on the team even though they want to hold down the Olympic spot. This would give us our best team in non-Olympic years while still giving them a shot at the preferred weight.

Random question: Is Cory Clark retired? Any chance we see him at 61kg?
He has been hurt I think but realistically his style has not seemed to mesh well in free. Seems to give up the legs way too easy.

Reactions: Exo
He has been hurt I think but realistically his style has not seemed to mesh well in free. Seems to give up the legs way too easy.
Which is weird because he was a hammer in high school on the freestyle circuit.

Which is weird because he was a hammer in high school on the freestyle circuit.
Too reliant on his chest wrap.

I also think he's a guy who was a jack of all trades and master of none, so when he got to that level, he didn't have anything dominant that he could go to. He was a better all around folkstyler than Gilman because of his mat wrestling and scrambling, but Gilman's dominant hand fighting translated to freestyle better than any of Clark's skills.

Injuries didn't help either.

Reactions: Gusaford
Too reliant on his chest wrap.

I also think he's a guy who was a jack of all trades and master of none, so when he got to that level, he didn't have anything dominant that he could go to. He was a better all around folkstyler than Gilman because of his mat wrestling and scrambling, but Gilman's dominant hand fighting translated to freestyle better than any of Clark's skills.

Injuries didn't help either.
I think the last sentence sums it up. I'm no expert on shoulder injuries, but I can't imagine what he wrestled with as long as he did his senior season that he ever really got back to 100% in his post-collegiate freestyle career. I believe he also reinjured his shoulder the last time we saw him compete (2019 US Open?) I think he's probably done competing considering HWC doesn't have him listed and it still has Nathan Burak and I don't recall the last time he competed.

I think the last sentence sums it up. I'm no expert on shoulder injuries, but I can't imagine what he wrestled with as long as he did his senior season that he ever really got back to 100% in his post-collegiate freestyle career. I believe he also reinjured his shoulder the last time we saw him compete (2019 US Open?) I think he's probably done competing considering HWC doesn't have him listed and it still has Nathan Burak and I don't recall the last time he competed.
Definitely a huge part. It's hard to develop when you're hurt a lot.

I largely agree with this too. While I'm no athlete, I do try to live an active lifestyle. I had shoulder surgery similar to Clark's back in 2017 (labral tear) and I recovered and returned to normal function a couple months faster than normal. But I'd be lying if I said I didn't still have some lingering effects... and like I said, I'm no elite wrestler that's reliant on shoulder strength to make a living.
The fact that he was able to come back and wrestle at the level he did is a minor miracle itself. With that said, I hope he's not done and he has another go in him. I loved watching him on the mat.

Considering that it's 17 days away, do we have any confirmations of who will be wrestling? Where should I be checking for that information?

Considering that it's 17 days away, do we have any confirmations of who will be wrestling? Where should I be checking for that information?

I saw an article on Rokfin a couple of days ago, but it literally only had 5 people on it.

Flo will probably put out a tracker article of who's registered once the entries start rolling in.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
kinda worried SR's won't be great. most are already qualified and almost everyone (college kids and SR's) have already been through the ringer.

there will definitely be a ton of guys to register last minute, but i'm worried about quality.

Reactions: el dub
kinda worried SR's won't be great. most are already qualified and almost everyone (college kids and SR's) have already been through the ringer.

there will definitely be a ton of guys to register last minute, but i'm worried about quality.
What about non Olympic weights? I’m looking at 70 specifically and Lugo and Pantaleo jump off the page as not qualified. 70 will be low key fire at WTT

70 will be nice for sure. Berger is definitely going. As is James Green. I would assume Pantaleo as well.

you're right though - NON OLY Weights could be better than i anticipated. i hope so.

Reactions: UndercoverHawk
Looks like some Hawkeyes are now registered. Wyatt Henson, Eierman, Lugo, Moody, Cassioppi all listed.
Wyatt Henson wrestling Senior 61 kg is a head scratcher. Can’t be too old for U20 Juniors. 61 kg after wrestling 145 all high school season and he doesn’t look small for the weight.

Wyatt Henson wrestling Senior 61 kg is a head scratcher. Can’t be too old for U20 Juniors. 61 kg after wrestling 145 all high school season and he doesn’t look small for the weight.
maybe he wants to push himself and take on some better high level guys. Got to remember that he did enter a couple college tournaments while still in high school.

Reactions: Inthecircle
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT