ADVERTISEMENT

Senior Nationals in Coralville:

Saw a lot of good things out of him the past month. Impressed with his athleticism. If you are correct, then that situation will take care of itself. I also think, out of all the guys, he has the best chance to put on some weight given his frame. Kemerer was a projected 49 out of high school, started out at 57 but the cut got to be too much.

Of the guys coming in I had Drake and Henson as guys who had checked the boxes for having the skills to be a high AA level wrestler. They have the physical tools, drive and national results you want. Rathjen seems to have those things as well but just not as consistent probably due to being a multi sport kid. He seems to be gaining ground quickly and has a high ceiling. I think Schriever is similar to Rathjen except injury vs muti sport holding him back.

Of the guys coming in I had Drake and Henson as guys who had checked the boxes for having the skills to be a high AA level wrestler. They have the physical tools, drive and national results you want. Rathjen seems to have those things as well but just not as consistent probably due to being a multi sport kid. He seems to be gaining ground quickly and has a high ceiling. I think Schriever is similar to Rathjen except injury vs muti sport holding him back.

Yup...I don't think Undercover was forgetting about Rathjen, I just think it is based on trends from the past ten years. In the early 2010s, we tended to think Iowa kids farted higher than their hole and we didn't get the results we wanted because the talent level was no longer there. After seeing Sebolt's crew at the club duals, cadets, and juniors, I'm seeing some Iowa kids on the rise but like in the early 2010s, we are looking outside the state first instead of inside. Reverse discrimination. Case in point: We haven't even mentioned Aiden Riggins yet which is someone we should also go after. with an eye toward 157. He is going to make a big leap in the rankings after his state title and spring results. A lot of people were surprised with Rathjen (myself included) taking a loss in the finals at state but Riggins has validated that result...he is damn good. I also think many of these guys are victim of the lost freestyle year and we are now just getting to see their development.

Yup...I don't think Undercover was forgetting about Rathjen, I just think it is based on trends from the past ten years. In the early 2010s, we tended to think Iowa kids farted higher than their hole and we didn't get the results we wanted because the talent level was no longer there. After seeing Sebolt's crew at the club duals, cadets, and juniors, I'm seeing some Iowa kids on the rise but like in the early 2010s, we are looking outside the state first instead of inside. Reverse discrimination. Case in point: We haven't even mentioned Aiden Riggins yet which is someone we should also go after. with an eye toward 157. He is going to make a big leap in the rankings after his state title and spring results. A lot of people were surprised with Rathjen (myself included) taking a loss in the finals at state but Riggins has validated that result...he is damn good. I also think many of these guys are victim of the lost freestyle year and we are now just getting to see their development.
Yep. Wasn’t forgetting him, Tarp specifically mentioned Mendez, Schriever, and Henson so I used those 3. And just the fact that last time out Chittum beat Henson who beat Rathjen. Obviously IMO if Rathjen makes the lineup it’s not because we weren’t good there and he would be legit. I think that’s where we are at almost every weight and that’s how it should be. Would love to return to the old days (I know it won’t happen) where the backup would win a title the next year after the starter graduated or moved weight classes.

Would love Mendez in Iowa City. But we also had 2 guys place at 61K--Schriever in Jrs & Henson in Srs. Do we recruit over them or is there an argument that there's room for all 3? I think our big needs are 157 & 165, no?
I'm holding out hope PK can make 165, kinda like the Bull. Both seemed to get big young and while PK wrestled up, I hope he can get to and hold 165. 157 is another story.

Reactions: TarpHawk
Let's say Kennedy can make 165. Can Nelson still make 174?

I'm seeing a 2023 lineup of:
125 - Ayala
133 - Schriever
141 - Henson
149 - Murin
157 - (Brody Grothus? Joey Slaton? Anthony Baldosaro? Pablo Ubasa?)
165 - Kennedy
174 - Brands
184 - Assad
197 - Warner
285 - Cass

125 - Ayala
133 - Schriever
141 - Henson
149 - Murin
165 - Kennedy
174 - Brands
184 - Assad
197 - Warner
285 - Cass
I think you have to hope to pack some good muscle on Rathjen for 157. He's got a good frame.

Reactions: VansontheMoon44

125 - Ayala
133 - Schriever
141 - Henson
149 - Murin
157 - (Brody Grothus? Joey Slaton? Anthony Baldosaro? Pablo Ubasa?AC Slater?)
165 - Kennedy
174 - Brands
184 - Assad
197 - Warner
285 - Cass
FIFY

Reactions: IAChief32
Would love Mendez in Iowa City. But we also had 2 guys place at 61K--Schriever in Jrs & Henson in Srs. Do we recruit over them or is there an argument that there's room for all 3? I think our big needs are 157 & 165, no?
Mendez still has another year of high school. He will be a 149 in my opinion.

Reactions: el dub and eb05

125 - Ayala
133 - Schriever
141 - Henson
149 - Murin
165 - Kennedy
174 - Brands
184 - Assad
197 - Warner
285 - Cass
I think he can make 174 now. I thought he looked bigger this year, but didn't look lean @ 184 IMO. I thought he was still a 174 wrestling up. With Kemdawg coming back will Brands outgrow 174 with another year up at 184? I tend to think he will still be able to shrink to 174 the same way I hope PK will make 165 in two years.

Reyna goes 0-2. I have not been impressed with him so far. Out of shape and really lacking in the determination department. Not seeing a guy who is very driven. 157 is a big hole behind Young at this point.

How about Mendez at 149 and Rathjen at 157?

Reactions: johnyt9

125 - Ayala
133 - Schriever
141 - Henson
149 - Murin
165 - Kennedy
174 - Brands
184 - Assad
197 - Warner
285 - Cass
Someone said Nelson was barely over 184, I see no scenario where he can't make 174.

Reactions: Gobblin and el dub

125 - Ayala
133 - Schriever
141 - Henson
149 - Murin
165 - Kennedy
174 - Brands
184 - Assad
197 - Warner
285 - Cass
Based on what we have so far 157 will be either Renya or Rathjen

So we evidently don't have a strength and conditioning coach anymore. What's the deal there?

So we evidently don't have a strength and conditioning coach anymore. What's the deal there?

This post seems buried and out of place here. Care to elaborate?

BTW, if Nelson can’t make 174 and Kennedy can’t make 165 then something is very wrong with the S&C program. (FWIW, I’m sure they can make these weights.)

This post seems buried and out of place here. Care to elaborate?

BTW, if Nelson can’t make 174 and Kennedy can’t make 165 then something is very wrong with the S&C program. (FWIW, I’m sure they can make these weights.)
Just wondering why we don't have one now. Financial cut?

What about Chittum??

He’s a beast but I don’t know much about his college weight since he has two years of HS left. Does he have a lot of room to grow into 165? If so then hopefully Kennedy could hold 165 for two years then move up after Nelson graduates and Chittum slides in to 165. Maybe just a pipe dream though.

Perhaps you can expand on where this is coming from as I don't believe I've seen any official indication or other discussion that Quinn Hollan is no longer with the program.
He doesn’t seem to be listed in the Athletic Dept directory. It seems he is no longer on staff.

Reactions: MVPFAN

125 - Ayala
133 - Schriever
141 - Henson
149 - Murin
165 - Kennedy
174 - Brands
184 - Assad
197 - Warner
285 - Cass
What would your 2023 lineup look like if Iowa got Mendez and Garvin (or Riggins) out of the Class of 2022.

125 - Ayala
133 - Schriever
141 - Henson
149 - Murin
165 - Kennedy
174 - Brands
184 - Assad
197 - Warner
285 - Cass
I get the impression from reading comments and seeing results... along with projections going forward, that Ybarra is going to have a tough time finding a spot in the lineup?

I guess if that's the case, a eventual transfer to ASU/NoCo might be in the cards? Please don't assume I'm ripping on the kid or writing him off.

Reactions: el dub
I get the impression from reading comments and seeing results... along with projections going forward, that Ybarra is going to have a tough time finding a spot in the lineup?

I guess if that's the case, a eventual transfer to ASU/NoCo might be in the cards? Please don't assume I'm ripping on the kid or writing him off.
You are very premature with that kind of assumption.

Reactions: rider57 and el dub

Agree about not ripping on him--or Reyna. Both have talent, and they have another year to develop. But, man, they aren't helping themselves. Brass ring is there--gotta grab it.

Lot of time left before the 2022/2023 season rolls around. It is hard to predict who will be able to hold 125 and who will be fighting it out for 133.

Agree about not ripping on him--or Reyna. Both have talent, and they have another year to develop. But, man, they aren't helping themselves. Brass ring is there--gotta grab it.
Fair point but hasn’t Ybarra been stronger in folk? He has some freestyle accolades but most of his success was in folk if I’m not mistaken.

Reactions: fufighters
Fair point but hasn’t Ybarra been stronger in folk? He has some freestyle accolades but most of his success was in folk if I’m not mistaken.
He has better results in freestyle. Fargo champ, Cadet trials finalist, and he placed 5th at Junior trials last year. Pretty sure he lost in AZ state finals his junior year.

ADVERTISEMENT