ADVERTISEMENT

Senior Nationals!

It's a little disappointing that they talk about making this a premier event in high school wrestling, and refer to the Cliff Keen Independence Invitational...but then schedule it on the same weekend.
Not really. You have to pick a date and can't be all that concerned with who has a tournament going on. There will always be a conflict with other tournaments. This will be a premier national HS wrestling event in the future and most likely only a handful of IA teams competing. With Gable's name attached sky is the limit.

It's a little disappointing that they talk about making this a premier event in high school wrestling, and refer to the Cliff Keen Independence Invitational...but then schedule it on the same weekend.

It always sucks when tourneys on the same day, but theres only so many dates available in the Thanksgiving/Christmas time frame. Iowa needs a premier tourney like cheesehead or Clash and hopefully this will be it. Also if it does morp into a premier tourney it will be much better for recruiting
and it's in a far better facility.

Last edited:
Reactions: Inthecircle
Not really. You have to pick a date and can't be all that concerned with who has a tournament going on. There will always be a conflict with other tournaments. This will be a premier national HS wrestling event in the future and most likely only a handful of IA teams competing. With Gable's name attached sky is the limit.

I like Josh and the crew a lot. I just think it's a big brother move to directly compete with the Indy CK. Let's face it--an IC event is generally going to be more attractive for teams than the Indy CK.

Don't get me wrong...free market and all that fun stuff, but it's still too bad it's going to harm a good, already existing event.

Tickets are on sale.

Face masks will be required and social distancing will be enforced.

Can't wait to social distance with you!

0TsWaxG.gif

Many people work very hard to bring these great events to Iowa, and I'm grateful for it. Thank you. That said I can't decide what's better, or worse. My choices are to watch on Flo and miss the live event, or take the short drive to Coralville but be forced to wear a mask and sit 6' from my friends. If I go to 30Hop, is the expectation the same? Like all of you I'm just so damn ready for a combination of common sense, normalcy, and a return to life. Monday rant over.

Curious as to how seating will be handled. General admission and 50% capacity - so not sure how they are going to get capacity up to 50%. Can’t do every other seat - won’t be 6 feet from the person beside you or in front/back of you. They could group people together (ie seat 4 together if they got 4 seats together) and get more in that way, but that’s not very possible with general admission.

And btw, I am happy they are doing facial coverings. Small price to pay to watch live wrestling. No need for fans to get sick and hopefully prevents an outbreak that then limits future events.

Has anyone heard which Hawks might be wrestling in this. Thought I read somewhere that Cory Clark is going 57kg in this tourney. Great opportunity to secure an Olympic redshirt for the college kids just in case the season is shortened/cancelled

Has anyone heard which Hawks might be wrestling in this. Thought I read somewhere that Cory Clark is going 57kg in this tourney. Great opportunity to secure an Olympic redshirt for the college kids just in case the season is shortened/cancelled
It would be fun to see Gilman and Clark renew that rivalry.

I don’t think US Wrestling has determined if they will have non-Olympic weights at Senior Nationals yet.

With Senior Worlds now scheduled in December it is possible that USA wrestling makes this the world team qualifier and thus making this a huge tourney!

it sounded like from the interview that dan dennis gave at the golf outing it was only going to be olympic weights hence why clark will be down at 57kg. I also did see spencer post on his twitter or instagram a picture of his 2 freestyle singlets so assuming he is wrestling in it.

Less than 100 tickets remain! Don’t wait too long.

I keep waiting for the announcement that there will be no fans or very few fans. Although I bought mine when they first came out, I only got a confirmation email for my payment - No tickets, no print at home pdf. I still doubt they allow the venue to be at 50% capacity.

So with the announcement above that senior worlds are happening, is this turning into WTT?

<<So with the announcement above that senior worlds are happening, is this turning into WTT? >>

Not at this point--USA Wrestling has to decide if they can/will attend worlds--then then need to decide the qualifier.

Reactions: pumpdog20
Sadly, this event will count towards nothing. Therefore, the entry list will be minimal, and missing many, if not almost all marquee names. It won't qualify anyone for the Olympic Trials or WTT etc. USA Wrestling announced that if there is a 2020 UWW World Championship, and the USA decides to enter a team, a WTT would probably take place in November.
They could not make the Coralville event a WTT because the OTC, and many RTC facilities are still not allowing wrestling, so many would not be prepared for the event. America attending the 2020 UWW World Championships would be contingent upon several factor, and covid rules. Such as, since they would be held in Serbia, what Serbia requires a quarantine period for persons entering their country from countries they determine to be high risk? Or, USA decides Serbia is too high risk etc., so we don't enter a team... etc.)

Reactions: wasdt21
Sadly, this event will count towards nothing. Therefore, the entry list will be minimal, and missing many, if not almost all marquee names. It won't qualify anyone for the Olympic Trials or WTT etc. USA Wrestling announced that if there is a 2020 UWW World Championship, and the USA decides to enter a team, a WTT would probably take place in November.
They could not make the Coralville event a WTT because the OTC, and many RTC facilities are still not allowing wrestling, so many would not be prepared for the event. America attending the 2020 UWW World Championships would be contingent upon several factor, and covid rules. Such as, since they would be held in Serbia, what Serbia requires a quarantine period for persons entering their country from countries they determine to be high risk? Or, USA decides Serbia is too high risk etc., so we don't enter a team... etc.)

Where have you seen that WTT would be in November? I can't find anything that says that.

On Tuesday 9/22, an email went out to National Team members giving them an update.
I stand corrected on my original post. The tournament may count toward qualifying for a 2020 World Team Trials if they happen in November.

"This event will NOT be a final selection event but serve as a form of qualifier into a November event to select participants for the 2020 Senior World Championships, if USA Wrestling Executive Committee decides it is safe to send teams."

I’m assuming there’s not going to be any fans. I haven’t got anything about tickets or a refund yet.

I have 2 All-Session tickets up for grabs if anyone didn’t get tickets and still wants. Unfortunately, I can’t attend. Face value was $109 total after fees and everything. I’ll sell them for $100 or a decent offer just to make some money back off of them just let me know

I’m assuming there’s not going to be any fans. I haven’t got anything about tickets or a refund yet.

I’m still holding some small hope that some fans will be able to attend. They are almost sold out (to 50% capacity) and are still selling tickets on their website. Realistically I also doubt they will have fans though. Maybe a few family members. I would be more optimistic if they were allowing fans at the HWC event in the same arena.

From how it looks unless Iowa wrestlers are going to do both, I've got no intention of using my tickets.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT