ADVERTISEMENT

Serious Party Potatoes Question

She brought them in at Noon, and there's about 75% of them left. Apparently I'm not alone in thinking that they're complete crap.

She's not easy on the eyes at all. And now we know she can't cook sooo she's 0-2 there.

Maybe she cooked the real party potatoes but then ate the entire pan before work, panicked, and had to whip up something quick to not show up empty handed.

The question then is, is it more shameful to bring shitty party potatoes to a potluck or admit to eating an entire pan of party potatoes for breakfast.

Maybe she cooked the real party potatoes but then ate the entire pan before work, panicked, and had to whip up something quick to not show up empty handed.

The question then is, is it more shameful to bring shitty party potatoes to a potluck or admit to eating an entire pan of party potatoes for breakfast.
That's when you make a quick stop at Hy Vee before work, and get some of theirs. She's not fat though, so I don't think she would have downed a whole thing. But who knows.

That's when you make a quick stop at Hy Vee before work, and get some of theirs. She's not fat though, so I don't think she would have downed a whole thing. But who knows.

I'm just trying to come up with some possible reasons why someone would bring that pan of filth in and try to pass it off as cheesy/party potatoes

The former is far worse.

I have never hit a woman and think violence towards women is awful, HOWEVER I would probably understand if I heard the OP gave this "person" a quick backhand.

Reactions: McLovin32
Same thing as hash brown casserole? That's the preferred term in our house.

hash-brown-casserole.jpg

Another minor update: I just heard her telling another coworker that she doesn't understand why nobody is eating it. She said everyone was begging her all week to bring it, and now nobody is eating it. She really doesn't understand that we were expecting party potatoes (Or cheesy potatoes, whatevs) and what she brought is complete bullcrap.

This is why I never talk up any recipe before bringing it to a potluck. Even if I think it is awesome, I give it no praise beforehand.

My go-to potluck recipes are cheesy potatoes and/or meatballs. They're delicious. Worth talking up. Can't mess them up...well, I can't.

Or some sort of cake stuff. Also delicious.

The one I can't stand is the chips and dip guy. The one who brings a bag of chips and a jar of salsa. Who wants that crap.
I love cooking, but I hate cooking and bringing it to the office. So I usually just show up with a Casey's breakfast pizza and then everyone is happy. But I agree, the chips and dip guy's stuff (we have one too) usually never get touched, and then he just takes it home.

I've never heard the term party potatoes. I call them cheesy potatoes or something like that.

I've never heard the term party potatoes. I call them cheesy potatoes or something like that.

I was confused by this thread because I hadn't ever heard the term party potatoes either (I call them cheesy potatoes).

"Party potatoes"? Those are actually a thing? You midwesterners are a unique lot...

I lived in the midwest for a lot of years. Today is the first time I heard them call party potatoes.

The preferred nomenclature is cheesy potatoes.

I too have only ever heard it as cheesy potatoes and not party potatoes.

giphy.gif

First, I am familiar with the term party potatoes, but I dislike it and prefer cheesy potatoes. ( don't get me started on "hotdish").

Second, perhaps she fcuked up the party potatoes, and threw together the other dish as a stand-in, thinking her mouth-breathing coworkers wouldn't know any better. Any way you look at it, it's an insult to your palate and/or intelligence.

I lived in the midwest for a lot of years. Today is the first time I heard them call party potatoes.

:eek: Some buddies and I played in a Charity golf outing for several years. We weren't very good, so after about the 4th hole we started talking about the party potatoes they would serve after the round.

Actually, I think Tiger did the same thing, he was just better at golf. ;)

This is why I never talk up any recipe before bringing it to a potluck. Even if I think it is awesome, I give it no praise beforehand.
Work had a chili cook off last fall. There were nine entries all together. I talked a big game before hand and was pretty confident in my abilities. I've never been in a chili cook off before.

Long story short...I am the 2016 Chili Cook Off champ!!!!1!!!

/csb

Reactions: McLovin32
Work had a chili cook off last fall. There were nine entries all together. I talked a big game before hand and was pretty confident in my abilities. I've never been in a chili cook off before.

Long story short...I am the 2016 Chili Cook Off champ!!!!1!!!

/csb
Our office hasn't had a chili cookoff in a few years. Which kinda sucks, because the last one was pretty solid. Except a huge douche won it the last time. I didn't try his chili because whenever I run into him in our bathroom, he never washes his hands. I'll pass no matter how good his chili tastes.

Reactions: Honda Hawk
Same thing as hash brown casserole? That's the preferred term in our house.

hash-brown-casserole.jpg
No, just no. Casserole, or Hotdish if you live in Minnesota or the Dakotas, is reserved for dishes that contain some sort of meat ingredient. The exception to this rule, because there is always an exception, is Green Bean Casserole.

Tator Tot Hotdish is a completely different dish than Cheesy Hashbrowns. Tator Tot Hotdish, very similar ingredients but has ground beef in it.

No, just no. Casserole, or Hotdish if you live in Minnesota or the Dakotas, is reserved for dishes that contain some sort of meat ingredient. The exception to this rule, because there is always an exception, is Green Bean Casserole.

Tator Tot Hotdish is a completely different dish than Cheesy Hashbrowns. Tator Tot Hotdish, very similar ingredients but has ground beef in it.
Someone gets it. You can't party without meat.

Tator Tot Casserole (Hotdish). Yummmmmmmmmm .....!:):):)

So you're saying that vegetarians can only eat a casserole if it's green bean? At any rate, I'm Iowan I don't hold with that MINNNNEEEESOOOOTTTA crap.

I'm taking you missed the ham in that there casserole Mr. Smarty McSmart.

Alright, so I'm a big fan of party potatoes. Love em. For about the last week, we've been planning to have a potluck sort of thing at work today. One girl (no pic) was bragging about her party potatoes all week. How delicious they are, and how everyone that has ever had them, love them. So I'm thinking I'm going to get some fantastic party potatoes today.

Wellllll, said girl brings them in, so I go and get a couple scoops. She basically made instant mashed potatoes, and melted cheddar cheese on top. That was it. I'm talking about the kind of potatoes you make by mixing friggin water with it. Now when I think of party potatoes, I think of hashbrowns (Or dice potatoes) mixed with some sort of cheddar, sour cream, sauce type stuff. I know a lot of people will use cream of chicken or cream of mushroom with it. That's fantastic.

So the question to the board is, can what she made be considered party potatoes? Or anything with mashed potatoes be considered party potatoes? I feel like she's just trying to jazz up a BS instant potato dish that you'd make for a child. Anyways, I feel cheated/rant.
Funny, first time I heard the term "party potatoes." However, my MIL used to make potato salad with mashed potatoes. Really, good, too. I think she started that to use up leftover mashed and it went over well, so then sometimes made it from scratch. Or else, it was something of a rural Iowa dish, or maybe not just Iowa.

The one I can't stand is the chips and dip guy. The one who brings a bag of chips and a jar of salsa. Who wants that crap.

They're always the first ones in line too.

Back when I worked on site, I stopped participating in the potlucks because there were a few who never brought anything (maybe 1/3 of the time they would bring a bag of Doritos) but went in before the agreed up on time to have first dibs. No more meatballs for you jackwads!

I've never heard of party potatoes so I'd have had no clue what to expect... I think if somebody had said cheesy potatoes I still wouldn't have known it was the potato casserole thing. And I like potato casserole thing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT