ADVERTISEMENT

Serious questions, mainly for the left-leaning...

I believe in vaccines too. Vaccinated the first day eligible and got a booster.

Pretty remarkable that 4% of the population has gotten it, but every Democrat on the board has gotten it or is about to.

I think the problem is that it hasn't been talked about much. I only became aware of this this morning when I was looking up if I should get another COVID booster. Wasn't sure if it was widely available or not. But if so few people are getting them they should be.

I would follow a doctor's recommendation over the CDC because the CDC speaks in generalities while personal doctors are more familiar with you medically speaking.

What if a doctor told a 25-year old that he didn't need the vaccine at all? Ok for him not to get the vaccine, or no?

I haven't had a poke since Apr 2021. Got my first round of COVID in June 2022. It wasn't bad at all, so since I'm not immune compromised, I've opted to not get any boosters (mostly because I'm lazy). My MIL, though, she gets all the boosters (her health is chit) and the two times she's have COVID haven't been bad at all. I'm thankful for the vaccines.

This is pretty much where I am on it. Vaccinated, boosted, had it, etc. This one is only likely specialized until November when a new variant will be dominant.

I expect it will be like the flu shot for me, get it some years when I think about it, miss it other years when I don't get around to it.

At least until I'm like 65+ or something.

Reactions: alaskanseminole
Not at all. I got the first booster.

But it doesn't seem necessary to ask why the right leaning are ignoring the CDC. We'll all have a long list...I already know those reasons. I'm wondering why the left leaning are not following the CDC.
Simple. Covid fatigue. Edit: I will get mine though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nole Lou
Me and the (no pic) wife were scheduled to get our boosters the week before our trip to NYC but they ran out of supplies and canceled our appointment. We both caught Covid on the return flight (first time with C19 for each of us) and are just now getting out of the worst of it. We will still get the booster eventually but the urgency seems lessened since we should have some immunity from getting “boosted” the hard way.

I got my second booster in July right before we went to Europe. I honestly had no idea they were recommending the new booster if you had gotten the booster so recently. I will definitely get it because we have the new grandbaby coming. I wonder if it would be better for me to wait until November so it is most effective when he is a newborn. Since I work from home and don't do much I would guess my risk is pretty minimal.

I got my second booster in July right before we went to Europe. I honestly had no idea they were recommending the new booster if you had gotten the booster so recently. I will definitely get it because we have the new grandbaby coming. I wonder if it would be better for me to wait until November so it is most effective when he is a newborn. Since I work from home and don't do much I would guess my risk is pretty minimal.
I could sure be wrong on this, but my understanding is this one is the 2nd booster. There has only been one booster previously. So if you got a second one in July, I don't believe you are supposed to get a third. But I'm sure someone will correct me if I am mistaken.

Two reasons.

1. My pharmacy didn't have them available last time I asked about it.
2. Covid isn't killing people who are healthy like it once was. So while I'll still get it once it is available, just like I do the flu shot every year, I'm not desperately searching for it like I once was. My goal before was to help prevent the pandemic from overwhelming hospitals and to hopefully not die if I did get sick. There doesn't seem to be a major concern of someone in my age/health category of needing hospitalization if I get Covid again.
Why haven't you gotten your latest biavalent booster? The CDC recommends you should get if you're two months out from the last vaccination.

However, only 4% of eligible people have gotten the booster. The government bought millions that will go to waste?

What has happened that you no longer abide by the CDC's recommendations? At what point did you decide their recommendations should be dismissed?

At what point did people questioning or dismissing the CDC's claims go from incredibly stupid (when it was other people) to reasonable (now that it is you)? Was there a certain rubicon that they crossed?

And what to make of the fact that it's passed the point of being a Democrat/Republican issue or a conspiracy theorist issue, and that NOBODY is buying their recommendations any more. Is there any chance to restore credibility as an authority?

* I'm using left leaning as a substitute. I know there were a few posters like @artradley who are lefties but were COVID realists/COVID policy skeptics, but for the most part the left leaning posters on this board fully embraced every single claim and recommendation and policy out of the CDC, Fauci, teachers unions, for the first two years of the pandemic.

I could sure be wrong on this, but my understanding is this one is the 2nd booster. There has only been one booster previously. So if you got a second one in July, I don't believe you are supposed to get a third. But I'm sure someone will correct me if I am mistaken.
Because I am over 50 and was going to be on international flights my doctor wanted me to get a second booster of the original vaccines. So I haven't gotten the booster that was made for the variants. So I was assuming from the OP that I am supposed to get the newest formula? I don't know. I will do whatever I need to in order to make sure my grandson is safe when he is born.

Why haven't you gotten your latest biavalent booster? The CDC recommends you should get if you're two months out from the last vaccination.

However, only 4% of eligible people have gotten the booster. The government bought millions that will go to waste?

What has happened that you no longer abide by the CDC's recommendations? At what point did you decide their recommendations should be dismissed?

At what point did people questioning or dismissing the CDC's claims go from incredibly stupid (when it was other people) to reasonable (now that it is you)? Was there a certain rubicon that they crossed?

And what to make of the fact that it's passed the point of being a Democrat/Republican issue or a conspiracy theorist issue, and that NOBODY is buying their recommendations any more. Is there any chance to restore credibility as an authority?

* I'm using left leaning as a substitute. I know there were a few posters like @artradley who are lefties but were COVID realists/COVID policy skeptics, but for the most part the left leaning posters on this board fully embraced every single claim and recommendation and policy out of the CDC, Fauci, teachers unions, for the first two years of the pandemic.
I just got my 3rd booster. I don’t get flu shots but I’m not playing with Covid.

I'd like to know why the unvaxxed have to get the two-shot series of the Wuhan version before they're eligible for the new and improved booster?

Reactions: seminoleed
Not quite sure what you are talking about.

When I go to the VA there are plenty of people my age, but there are tons of elderly that need the shot more than drive-by Hy-Vee people

Well unless your hanging out at the Hy-Vee pharmacy all day how would you know that? Old people have to get their shot somewhere.

Are we still insinuating that the unvaccinated are killing old people? Should we still tell them they're the reason the virus isn't eradicated yet? Is it Ok to go ahead and have an unvaccinated friend again? Should we just go ahead and continue pouring hate upon them because they're probably Republican anyway?

Ive had all 4 shots prior. I had COVID in January. Nearly certainly BA.5 based on what was circulating at the time. There is zero data to support a need for a COVID vaccine for a variant one has already had. I will not be getting mine.

Now to be clear, I’m obviously pro vaccine. I’ve had all 4 shots prior. And I will be getting vaccinated for any new variant I haven’t had, if a new variant rises to the top. Just like I’ll get my flu shot. Created in anticipation of the leading annual candidates for a US outbreak. Vaccinating to avoid illness from a new flu variant.

There is NO need to get a vaccine for BA.5 unless one hasn’t had it. In which case I’d be for it.

This idea that measured immunity wains over months is nearly certainly true. However does a repeat infection with the same variant have a higher or lower risk of severe disease? Much lower.

Hospitals are going maskless for vaccinated(defined as 2 shots of the original Pfizer or Moderna) non ill patients and all staff as of last week. Why would this be? Would this be the case if repeat infection carried a high risk? Would this be the case if community immunity was low? Would this be the case if vaccines were needed for this variant? No way in hell.

I’ll get whatever shots I need but won’t be getting a single one I don’t.

Last edited:

Getting mine with my flu shot today. Waited to clear the waiting period after my extremely mild Covid case this summer (thanks Vaccine!!).

I’m not against getting it…just haven’t been in a hurry yet. Hoping to knock it and the flu shot out at the same time….but have some traveling to do in November, plus the holidays so really I’m just trying to get it as late in October as I can so the antibodies are the highest during the most social/indoor time of the year…

Basically, (all you righties will love this)….I treat it like the flu shot now. Necessary to get, but not a drive around town right now thing.

Why no flu shot?
I don't think I've had the flu in decades. My wife used to argue with me about it because she gets her flu shot, but one spring she got the flu that wiped her out for a week. She hasn't brought it up since.

Maybe it's because the flu doesn't concern me. Covid does even though I don't think I have had that either.

The point has been missed here as it always is on the left… the government is reporting only 4% of eligible people have gotten boosters and since we know many more lefties have had the clot shots than the repubs that means an even lower % of the get the shot or else crowd is still playing scamdemic. We truly have moved on except for a few flaccid folks who are still wearing masks alone in their car or dudes who squat to piss.

I don't think I've had the flu in decades. My wife used to argue with me about it because she gets her flu shot, but one spring she got the flu that wiped her out for a week. She hasn't brought it up since.

Maybe it's because the flu doesn't concern me. Covid does even though I don't think I have had that either.

Covid concerns you more than the flu? Really?

Not at all. I got the first booster.

But it doesn't seem necessary to ask why the right leaning are ignoring the CDC. We'll all have a long list...I already know those reasons. I'm wondering why the left leaning are not following the CDC.

Most of the responses so far are that people have gotten the booster. It seems like you started with the answer you believed and responses won't sway that. I'll be getting mine this week.

Most of the responses so far are that people have gotten the booster. It seems like you started with the answer you believed and responses won't sway that. I'll be getting mine this week.

Yep, that's something. Considering that up take has literally been 4% of eligible people, so like 90% of Biden voters have not gotten the booster. And yet it will be 100% of Democrats on this board will have the covalent booster by next week...wow.

I don't think anyone posting is lying so...

Reminder that the internet is not real life, and this board isn't even close to real life (duh), and posters on this board are WAY more Covid-focused than the general public.

Was hoping to get some insight on where the CDC crossed over into losing even the people who were in lockstep with them for a long time, because ultimately that's a terrible outcome. I kind of think they need to be replaced in their role at this point, maybe by the FDA.

It's not even debatable that they have lost the vast majority, given child vaccine uptake and bivalent booster uptake. But if they haven't lost anyone here from the left side of the aisle, no insight to be gained.

(I'm not a lefty, but I was with the CDC/Fauci 100% for a good while, with several steps along the way that chipped away at it to 0%)

ADVERTISEMENT