ADVERTISEMENT

Setting the Bar for QB1 this Fall (a little long)

I agree. Although we both probably suffer some confirmation bias cuz the QB play cannot replicate last season, which is probably as close to unanimous as an opinion gets around here. I am told by various sources of varying credibility that the QB situation has come up in some high donor meetings. Unlike ours, Kirk does hear those voices.

That’s intriguing information. The QB play cannot be that bad again next year. It really is a testament to the rest of the team and the amount of talent we have stockpiled that we were as good as we were. All certainly attributable to KF, but so is the offense 😳

Petras looking good in a few clips from Manning camp. Maybe that will give him some confidence. FWIW, Petras made a huge jump in HS from Jr. to Sr. year.
How big a jump are we talking here? He still threw 33 TDs to 3 picks as a Jr. I don't think the level of competition was great either.

How big a jump are we talking here? He still threw 33 TDs to 3 picks as a Jr. I don't think the level of competition was great either.
Yeah that is pretty good but he increased his completion percentage by 4%, 1100 more yards and 17 more TDs and 6 less INTs.

Yeah that is pretty good but he increased his completion percentage by 4%, 1100 more yards and 17 more TDs and 6 less INTs.
I hope you're right, and I know I've been vocal about Petras being the "best" current option, but I still don't think he's that good or will improve that much.

I hope you're right, and I know I've been vocal about Petras being the "best" current option, but I still don't think he's that good or will improve that much.
Yeah, I am not counting on it but he could improve. I think if the line improves, the running game will improve and so will pass pro which might be enough to make Petras look better. Even if he just gets to say a midlevel Big Ten QB iowa will look much better on offense.

Yeah, I am not counting on it but he could improve. I think if the line improves, the running game will improve and so will pass pro which might be enough to make Petras look better. Even if he just gets to say a midlevel Big Ten QB iowa will look much better on offense.
Very true. OL was my bigger concern, and I do have faith in them improving.

Reactions: cmhawks99

Very true. OL was my bigger concern, and I do have faith in them improving.

Agreed. My main complaint with attacks on Petras this off-season have been centered around him being the primary reason for the struggles on offense, when to me, the whole thing broke.

Trying to point out one thing as the primary cause is impossible in that situation. IMO, for all the justified criticisms of Brian, Spencer, etc., it was also a season where seemingly everything went wrong at some point. Difficult to build anything on offense when there’s nothing consistent to build around.

Agreed. My main complaint with attacks on Petras this off-season have been centered around him being the primary reason for the struggles on offense, when to me, the whole thing broke.

Trying to point out one thing as the primary cause is impossible in that situation. IMO, for all the justified criticisms of Brian, Spencer, etc., it was also a season where seemingly everything went wrong at some point. Difficult to build anything on offense when there’s nothing consistent to build around.
The same people unironically use the terms "apologists" and "kool-aid drinkers" and are incapable of anything other than binary opinions.

Reactions: David1979
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT