ADVERTISEMENT

Severe coronavirus disease, death 'rare' among kids

haw-key

HR Heisman
Gold Member
Oct 19, 2011
Paging @Joes Place......

Severe coronavirus disease, death 'rare' among kids, UK study finds

Amid the pandemic, reports surfaced of COVID-19cases and deaths among children and young people, though a new study from the UK highlights how rare these cases really are.

A large team of experts found that confirmed virus cases among babies and youth under 19 only accounted for less than 1 percent of all patients in a given cohort. The in-hospital death rate was “strikingly low” among this age group, according to the report, at 1 percent compared to the cohort including all ages at 27 percent. A total of six out of 627 pediatric patients died, “all of whom had profound comorbidity,” study authors wrote.
"Severe disease was rare and death [was] exceptionally rare in this...large prospective cohort study of children admitted to hospital with laboratory-confirmed COVID-19," study authors wrote.
The findings were published on Thursday in BMJ Journals.

“We can be quite sure that COVID in itself is not causing harm to children on a significant scale,” Malcolm Semple, co-author and a professor of outbreak medicine and child health at the University of Liverpool in Britain, told a briefing, reported Reuters.

The highest level message really has to be that (in children with COVID-19) severe disease is rare, and death is vanishingly rare -- and that (parents) should be comforted that their children are not at direct harm by going back into school,” Semple said at a briefing, according to the outlet.

Researchers noted in the study that kids and young people only make up 1 percent to 2 percent of coronavirus cases worldwide, adding that “in contrast to other respiratory viruses, children seem to have a lower risk of infection than adults.” They also said "the vast majority of reported infections" among kids are mild or asymptomatic.

The children in the study were among nearly 70,000 patients admitted across 138 hospitals (260 hospitals for the whole cohort) in England, Scotland, and Wales between Jan. 17 to July 3.

The authors said the data proves more mild infection in children and youth compared to adults. They also found that youth who developed a rare inflammatory syndrome from their infections — MIS-C, or multisystem inflammatory syndrome — were often older and of non-white ethnicity, which is in line with earlier reports, said the researchers.

Paging @Joes Place......

Amid the pandemic, reports surfaced of COVID-19cases and deaths among children and young people, though a new study from the UK highlights how rare these cases really are.

A large team of experts found that confirmed virus cases among babies and youth under 19 only accounted for less than 1 percent of all patients in a given cohort. The in-hospital death rate was “strikingly low” among this age group, according to the report, at 1 percent compared to the cohort including all ages at 27 percent. A total of six out of 627 pediatric patients died, “all of whom had profound comorbidity,” study authors wrote.
"Severe disease was rare and death [was] exceptionally rare in this...large prospective cohort study of children admitted to hospital with laboratory-confirmed COVID-19," study authors wrote.

“We can be quite sure that COVID in itself is not causing harm to children on a significant scale,” Malcolm Semple, co-author and a professor of outbreak medicine and child health at the University of Liverpool in Britain, told a briefing, reported Reuters.

The highest level message really has to be that (in children with COVID-19) severe disease is rare, and death is vanishingly rare -- and that (parents) should be comforted that their children are not at direct harm by going back into school,” Semple said at a briefing, according to the outlet.

Researchers noted in the study that kids and young people only make up 1 percent to 2 percent of coronavirus cases worldwide, adding that “in contrast to other respiratory viruses, children seem to have a lower risk of infection than adults.” They also said "the vast majority of reported infections" among kids are mild or asymptomatic.

The children in the study were among nearly 70,000 patients admitted across 138 hospitals (260 hospitals for the whole cohort) in England, Scotland, and Wales between Jan. 17 to July 3.

The authors said the data proves more mild infection in children and youth compared to adults. They also found that youth who developed a rare inflammatory syndrome from their infections — MIS-C, or multisystem inflammatory syndrome — were often older and of non-white ethnicity, which is in line with earlier reports, said the researchers.

This is news?

This is news?
To joe it is. He’s been saying for months how kids are at much more risk than was thought and hospitalizations and MIS-C were gonna devastate the pediatric population once schools start.

This seems to fly in the face of his fear mongering.

But no, no surprise. ive been arguing with him for months about this.

Another Covid thread, glad this didn't get posted in one of the other million of them!

200.gif

Paging @Joes Place......

tenor.gif

Reactions: noleclone2
Severe disease in kids and young adults is rare. What happens when the kids get mild cases and take it home to their parents, grandparents, caregivers, teachers, etc? I’m not overly concerned about my kids getting severely sick but there are plenty of people I am concerned about. I see covid patients often at work. They aren’t all elderly with severe health problems. I’m not opposed to things opening up but I do think wearing masks and social distancing is important. IMO schools should take proper precautions if they are to have any type of open doors.

185,000 dead Americans, OP. You can crow kids only being a small portion of all those bodies, but that's where we're at. When will people like you stop minimizing this threat?
Again? really? If those at risk would shelter in place until this passes either thru herd immunity or a vaccination we would largely be fine.

I see this illness almost every working day and therapy is getting better and more and more of the cases we are seeing are younger people that are doing fine. I haven’t hospitalized anyone younger than 60 in a couple of months. Probably since June.

Severe disease in kids and young adults is rare. What happens when the kids get mild cases and take it home to their parents, grandparents, caregivers, teachers, etc? I’m not overly concerned about my kids getting severely sick but there are plenty of people I am concerned about. I see covid patients often at work. They aren’t all elderly with severe health problems. I’m not opposed to things opening up but I do think wearing masks and social distancing is important. IMO schools should take proper precautions if they are to have any type of open doors.
I agree with all that.

To joe it is. He’s been saying for months how kids are at much more risk than was thought and hospitalizations and MIS-C were gonna devastate the pediatric population once schools start

No. That's not what I said.

I stated that there would be many kids severely impacted, not necessarily "dead". And that's what has happened.

Again? really? If those at risk would shelter in place until this passes either thru herd immunity or a vaccination we would largely be fine.

I see this illness almost every working day and therapy is getting better and more and more of the cases we are seeing are younger people that are doing fine. I haven’t hospitalized anyone younger than 60 in a couple of months. Probably since June.
We went through a 2 month lull where we didn’t have many hospitalized patients and almost no ICU patients. I thought maybe we were just better at treating it. Now our numbers are creeping back up and we almost always have 3-4 in the ICU. Not necessarily older people either. Had a couple of people in there 40s that were pretty healthy otherwise. Our hospital census is just crazy every day now, regardless of covid. It’s a constant shuffling game getting beds for people.

Reactions: haw-key and unIowa
You mean like the German myocarditis study that recently had to revise it conclusions due to poor statistical data in the first version?

What study would that be? The one that updated their stats, and all the main conclusions of the work stood as originally presented?

Correct...the threat/risk of opening school has always been viewed as minimal to the kids, small for younger parents/teachers, higher for teachers/parents above 50 and devastating to grandparents and older educators and support staff.

Kids do contract this virus like any other virus as we are now seeing and we also are seeing that they can spread it as well. The people who are thinking in cohorts only and not the repercussions to all citizens via accelerating community spread are doing so intentionally or just aren't all that bright.

The majority of children experience mild illness or even no symptoms from Covid-19, doctors say. But some are reporting symptoms that persist for weeks, or the development of post-viral syndromes. Symptoms reported include fever, cough, headaches, shortness of breath and gastrointestinal problems.

“It’s an important area for study because certainly we’re still learning a lot about the virus, particularly about its impact on children,” says Sean O’Leary, vice-chair of the American Academy of Pediatrics Committee on Infectious Diseases, who himself is experiencing long-term symptoms from Covid-19. “At least acutely it’s less severe in children, but we also need to understand whether there are potentially consequences of long-term effects.”

https://www.wsj.com/articles/as-chi...h-for-potential-long-term-effects-11598289636

As we are seeing this strategy is not working as C19 just recently ripped through a few nursing home facilities in my county within the last 3 weeks. These people have been trying to shelter but it is still finding its way in bc there is so much community spread.

• Wow
Reactions: Joes Place

Without a federal response or aid, most people are unable to shelter in place while the rest of the world moves on. You see, the banks end up kicking you out of your home.

On a positive note, I am very glad to hear that we are getting better at treating this disease and our outcomes are improving.

Does this thread you started look familiar?

Covid-19 is killing children at an astounding rate
Link

And that was based on data that CDC had posted on its site, supporting the thread title.
That data CDC posted was available for all to see for 3-4 weeks, before they eventually corrected it. Those posts and info are in the thread.

Newsflash. Most of the population is at risk. 185,000 dead. Many more sick with what may be permanent damage. You do yourself no favors by continuing to downplay this threat.

Newsflash. Most of the population is at risk. 185,000 dead. Many more sick with what may be permanent damage. You do yourself no favors by continuing to downplay this threat.

Indeed.....we still have very limited info on the long-term health impacts and risks.
And yet people want to "run that experiment" cuz they need "some football games"....

Reactions: Huey Grey

The threat is different for different segments of the population. That's not downplaying the threat. Everyone knows by now who is most at risk. Everyone knows by now how to mitigate the risk. It's impossible to protect people from themselves.

Reactions: TunzaHawk
Indeed.....we still have very limited info on the long-term health impacts and risks.
And yet people want to "run that experiment" cuz they need "some football games"....
The number of deaths alone should scare the shit out of people to value their own health and error on the side of caution.

The threat is different for different segments of the population. That's not downplaying the threat. Everyone knows by now who is most at risk. Everyone knows by now how to mitigate the risk. It's impossible to protect people from themselves.
It is entirely downplaying it. We don't yet know enough to be able to take a scapel's edge to who is precisely at risk and who isn't. We are zeroing in but there are still informational gaps.

The number of deaths alone should scare the shit out of people to value their own health and error on the side of caution.

As I'd posted before, it's around 100x the risk of flu for mortality rates, across most of the age demographics.

And that isn't counting the observations that non-lethal risks are also much higher than for flu. And NONE of us are immune or can get a vaccine for it, like we can for flu.

This is very good to hear. Any good news we get on this virus is appreciated.

Here's that data:

OVERALL flu death rate (CFR) is about 0.1%; that's young AND (mostly) old people. And it is mostly the very old or those with significant co-morbidities.

Covid CFRs by age groups, compared to 2017-18 flu data:

0-4yrs: 0.05% Bad number; this is about 1 in 2000 infants and children dying of this.

Compared to flu, which is 0.0006% for infants (1 in 166,667)
This is nearly 80x more lethal for pediatric children than flu.

5-17 yrs: 0.018% (1 in 5500)

Compared to flu, which is 0.001% (1 in 100,000)
Covid is 20x more lethal in this group

18-29 yrs
: 0.075% (1 in 1300)

Compared to flu, which is 0.002% (1 in 50,000)
Covid is nearly 40x more lethal
CDC data covers 18-49 here, so presume it is similar across the entire group

30-39 yrs: 0.25% (1 in 400)
Covid is 125x more lethal

40-49 yrs:
0.66% (1 in 152)
Covid is 330x more lethal

50-64 yrs
: 2.4% (1 in 42)
Covid is 225x more lethal

65-74 yrs
: 8.7% (1 in 11)
Covid is 87x more lethal

(CDC data covers 65+ here)

75-84 yrs: 18.8%
Covid is 188x more lethal

85+ yrs
: 29.6%
Covid is 300x more lethal

Basically, Covid is around 100x+ MORE LETHAL than flu across most age groups, and it 20-40x more lethal in 5 to 30 yrs age groups.

Pick where you and those you know reside in this list, and look at the odds.
1 in 1300 college-aged adults is one kid per ~15 football teams. And as many of the linemen are "obese", those may be bottom end numbers for how many could die from this "playing football" and acquiring it, let alone the long-term debilitating effects.

This ain't "the flu" by any stretch.

https://www.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#demographics
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/2017-2018.htm

EDIT:

And not only is it orders of magnitude more lethal, it is many times more transmissable than flu.

R0 of 2.5-3 vs 1.3-1.4 for flu

ADVERTISEMENT