ADVERTISEMENT

SF Chronicle story on Caitlin

Torg

HR Heisman
Gold Member
Jul 20, 2001
Bruce Jenkins on Caitlin

• Caitlin Clark, the biggest story in women’s basketball, turns pro and launches her WNBA career with Indiana.
If you’re somehow unaware of Clark’s performances for the University of Iowa, it was best summarized by Big Ten Network announcer Mike Hall during Clark’s 40-point masterpiece Tuesday night against Michigan State: “We are watching one of the greatest basketball players of all time.”
That’s right — including the men.
Nobody, including Curry, Pete Maravich and Larry Bird, ever shot better from way outside than Clark. Forget the routine 3-pointers: Clark is flat-out deadly from 30 feet and beyond. Her footwork and shot release are absolutely textbook. Even from the “logo,” which is just inside midcourt at Carver-Hawkeye arena, this is a routine jump shot for Clark.

That’s where she found herself Tuesday night in the game’s final seconds. The halfcourt stripe is 47 feet from the basket, she cast off from about 10 feet inside that. “I knew it was going in when it left my hand,” she said after the buzzer-beating shot gave Iowa the victory, and so did everyone in the building.
This is where Clark’s admirable perspective came into play. “Honestly, I just look around and I get to play in an arena full of little kids, a lot of little girls who admire our team,” she said. “Fans that are here at 8 p.m. on a Tuesday night in the beginning of January. That’s rare for women’s basketball, but it’s becoming the norm.”
The collegiate game has become the province of great athletes with superb skills (personal favorites: Colorado’s Jaylyn Sherrod, USC’s JuJu Watkins, South Carolina’s MiLaysia Fulwiley and UConn’s Paige Bueckers), but Clark’s talent is such that she rises above them all. Even as she leads the nation in scoring (31.5 points per game), her first instinct is to find an open teammate — and she’s an NBA-level passer in strength and timing, leading the country in total assists (111) heading into the weekend.
Clark has another year of eligibility remaining at Iowa, but this would be an awfully good time to turn pro. Indiana has the first pick in the draft, and Clark cherishes her Midwestern upbringing and values. She always has had a knack for passes of all varieties to players around the basket, and Indiana has a real gem in WNBA Rookie of the Year Aliyah Boston. (All-Star guard Kelsey Mitchell and former Stanford standout Lexi Hull also are on that team.)
Clark would be an invaluable addition anywhere, even with WNBA superpowers New York and Las Vegas. But she would unquestionably be the focus of Indiana’s offense, and the crowd-appeal factor would be a blessing for the league.

And if she stays in college? More sold-out arenas, NIL endorsement money and must-see television. Can’t go wrong.
Bruce Jenkins writes the 3-Dot Lounge for the San Francisco Chronicle. Email: jenksurf@gmail.com Twitter: @Bruce_Jenkins1

It's remarkable that remarkable is routine. I watch Iowa women's basketball knowing that someday we will be watching Iowa games without her playing. It seems unfair. Maybe the rules can be changed.

She is too good for the WNBA - or she will change the interest level to appreciate her skills.

Reactions: Mohawkeye and Torg
It's remarkable that remarkable is routine. I watch Iowa women's basketball knowing that someday we will be watching Iowa games without her playing. It seems unfair. Maybe the rules can be changed.

She is too good for the WNBA - or she will change the interest level to appreciate her skills.
Too good for the wnba? Lol, she has no choice as she couldn't do what she does against men for one reason, she is a she.

Change the rules? Does she get to continue shooting a women's ball against men? Three steps versus two?

She is absolutely amazing but keep it in perspective.

I will be curious if the WNBA actually sees much of a bump after the initial Clark interest fades.
To me it's much like the G league. People aren't going to those games even though they are better than college players.
That's always been my problem with the "poor players" nil people. People watch the game, generally, because of the team not the player. No one goes to watch the G league even though the play is better.
Clark is a deviation from that in a major way. She is likely one of the most deserving NIL college players ever and likely under-compensated at this point.

Too good for the wnba? Lol, she has no choice as she couldn't do what she does against men for one reason, she is a she.

Change the rules? Does she get to continue shooting a women's ball against men? Three steps versus two?

Pretty sure this was in jest meaning wishing she could stay at Iowa longer. You dope.

You really jumped all the way in against an argument no one was making.

Is this for real?

No, I didn't. People around here certainly think that way.

I hope she does stay as once she leaves she'll never be as big as she is now. 😉

I was being intently facetious, of course. And, BTW, not to draw inferences, but are you unaware of the existence of the WNBA? The Women's Basketball League.

Surely a knowledgeable sports fan would not lack such knowledge.

Man discovers moon in 2024.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT