ADVERTISEMENT

Sham QB Competition

SchwartzUndGold

Team MVP
Nov 20, 2019
Putin’s Ukrainian annexation vote is comparable to the competition for starting QB at Iowa. The first thing to know and understand is the OC and HC set up the standards to be measured. They decide on the plays to be executed and they do the evaluation. They decide what defense to be used. In a true competition each QB candidate would have a personal coach and that coach could use any play in the play book or modification of a play. Each QB would be behind the same offensive lineman. The defense would operate independent of the HC and OC.

To make this short S. Petras was going to win the competition using a stacked deck. He had the most experience performing the same unoriginal offense. I sincerely doubt that any of the QB’s were allowed to use their running abilities because it would expose how poor Petras is at running or recognizing when to run. I don't know if any media members has ever asked "HOW" the competition will be conducted and "WHO" gets to score the QB's.

Years ago, I wanted Kirk out. Then he seemed to embrace some change and I became a supporter. However, ever since he was allowed to hire Brian, it’s been back to the old Kirk. It’s time for the Ferentz story to end at Iowa. He won’t fire his son (who could really) and yes I know he technically works for Barta ( another level of incompetence) so he has to go along with his son. Not now, but certainly at season’s end.

Years ago, I wanted Kirk out. Then he seemed to embrace some change and I became a supporter. However, ever since he was allowed to hire Brian, it’s been back to the old Kirk. It’s time for the Ferentz story to end at Iowa. He won’t fire his son (who could really) and yes I know he technically works for Barta ( another level of incompetence) so he has to go along with his son. Not now, but certainly at season’s end.
I gave up on Ferentz 15 years ago. I have always thought he was arrogant, too controlling, and risk averse.

The "offense" isn't "the" problem. The terrible execution is the problem. If Petras simply hit the open throws, or at least most of them Iowa would have scored more and much earlier in the game.

If Petras had found the open receivers we would have scored more and much earlier in the game.

We weren't out of the game until that second to the last drive. We'd played like shit and still were in it in the 4th quarter. A two TD comeback is hardly uncommon, as Iowa demonstrated last year.

If the offense really is too complex for players to understand then that's a problem with the offense. I think the problem arises from the stubborn adherence to Petras. He played his best yesterday and was still very inadequate.

The "offense" isn't "the" problem. The terrible execution is the problem. If Petras simply hit the open throws, or at least most of them Iowa would have scored more and much earlier in the game.

If Petras had found the open receivers we would have scored more and much earlier in the game.

We weren't out of the game until that second to the last drive. We'd played like shit and still were in it in the 4th quarter. A two TD comeback is hardly uncommon, as Iowa demonstrated last year.

If the offense really is too complex for players to understand then that's a problem with the offense. I think the problem arises from the stubborn adherence to Petras. He played his best yesterday and was still very inadequate.
Yep I agree unfortunately- digging their grave with 1 guy

There never was meaningful QB competition in the spring, fall, or during the season. The sooner people realize that Kirk was lying to everyone the entire time, the better you will understand the situation.
Yep. If you're gullible enough to believe there was a real qb competition you probably actually believed that Barta is the one who hired Brian Ferentz back in 2012 which is what they told everyone. Kirk thinks he's a pretty good liar even though he's not

Take it for what it’s worth…. We know a kid on the team, and he speaks highly of Padilla’s ability and how he practices. He also said there’s strong support among the players for Padilla to get a shot at game action.

I’m sure there’s some subjectivity in his assessment of the QB’s and of the players’ support, and I don’t mean to imply that there isn’t support for Spencer. I have no reason to believe he’s anything but a great young man and teammate. That said, it seems, at least based on this kid’s opinion, that 1) Alex practices well and 2) he has his teammates’ support.

Understanding that this offense has far more problems than just QB, it only makes sense to give the kid a chance. There’s no debating that the QB does have the single biggest influence on offensive performance of any position on the field. I get that it’s an incredibly long shot with our staff, which is highly regrettable. Let’s just say I’m skeptical of the “practices well” justification for not even letting Alex so much as sniff the field.

Take it for what it’s worth…. We know a kid on the team, and he speaks highly of Padilla’s ability and how he practices. He also said there’s strong support among the players for Padilla to get a shot at game action.

Everyone inside and outside of the program has to know how horseshit Kirk Ferentz has treated Alex Padilla and Joey Labas this season.

Any other program in America when the starter is performing as the absolute dead last worst QB in college football, the backups get a shot. That would be fair. That would be decent. That would reward hard working backups with an opportunity.

Iowa has got to be the only program in America where QB1 could perform that poorly and not get yanked. The only one. And everyone knows it is true.

I’m sure there’s some subjectivity in his assessment of the QB’s and of the players’ support, and I don’t mean to imply that there isn’t support for Spencer. I have no reason to believe he’s anything but a great young man and teammate. That said, it seems, at least based on this kid’s opinion, that 1) Alex practices well and 2) he has his teammates’ support.

Understanding that this offense has far more problems than just QB, it only makes sense to give the kid a chance. There’s no debating that the QB does have the single biggest influence on offensive performance of any position on the field. I get that it’s an incredibly long shot with our staff, which is highly regrettable. Let’s just say I’m skeptical of the “practices well” justification for not even letting Alex so much as sniff the field.
My guess is Petras is like the brown nosing teacher's pet that kisses Kirks ass and says all the right things, but sucks as a player. It's easy to see from the body language of the players that they don't have any confidence in Petras at all. I would imagine nobody in that locker room actually thinks Petras gives them the best chance to win. Kirk and Brian are both arrogant, egotistical morons that would have been shown the door long ago at any other university.

Everyone inside and outside of the program has to know how horseshit Kirk Ferentz has treated Alex Padilla and Joey Labas this season.

Any other program in America when the starter is performing as the absolute dead last worst QB in college football, the backups get a shot. That would be fair. That would be decent. That would reward hard working backups with an opportunity.

Iowa has got to be the only program in America where QB1 could perform that poorly and not get yanked. The only one. And everyone knows it is true.
Nailed it.

And I would remind everyone what KF said about Deuce Hogan last year . . . you remember, something like "If we had to use Hogan, I'd just stay home." My gawd. What a thing for any coach or teacher to say about any decent, hard-working human being and, in this case, one that KF himself signed off on as a scholarship QB.

He said that about Hogan, who never had a chance to prove himself on the field, and yet KF stands by his anointed one despite everyone else in the country knowing that Spencer Petras is one of the all time worst QBs ever to start a game for Iowa. And yet KF doesn't stay home. Instead, he stands there mindlessly chewing his cud while Petras embarrasses himself and the Hawkeyes time after time after time.

Wow.

Nailed it.

And I would remind everyone what KF said about Deuce Hogan last year . . . you remember, something like "If we had to use Hogan, I'd just stay home." My gawd. What a thing for any coach or teacher to say about any decent, hard-working human being and, in this case, one that KF himself signed off on as a scholarship QB.

He said that about Hogan, who never had a chance to prove himself on the field, and yet KF stands by his anointed one despite everyone else in the country knowing that Spencer Petras is one of the all time worst QBs ever to start a game for Iowa. And yet KF doesn't stay home. Instead, he stands there mindlessly chewing his cud while Petras embarrasses himself and the Hawkeyes time after time after time.

Wow.
He said something closer to "if we have to use our 3rd string QB, we might as well not make the trip" - meaning his 3rd team QB was completely unprepared to play. That's on Kirk. It wasn't directed at Hogan as much as it was that the staff hadn't prepared him. He did not use his name.

I imagine he really regrets that comment.

Plenty of things to criticize KF about. Might as well be accurate.

Of course it was never an open competition by the definition that most would use. I wrote as much months ago.

Both things can be true:

1. There are many things wrong with the offense at this point.

2. The qb "competition" was never "open" in the way that most people would consider the use of that term to mean.

What needs to happen is that the failed offensive scheme is shit-canned, a new OC is brought in who doesn't think than an offense from the 90s is the way to go, KF stays out of the new OC's way, the portal is scoured for multiple skill players with the current roster recruited over as needed, it's recognized that a qb must have a minimum level of mobility to play (unless he is the next Brady or Manning) and qb being the incumbent no longer holds such an overwhelming advantage.

What will happen on offense? Nothing.

My favorite KF line…”We have confidence in all of our QB’s”….would he really acknowledge that if indeed Padilla and Labas elected to not travel to Illinois? I mean, they both know they will not play anyhow right? These next two games will not be pleasant.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
he has done this his entire career. He only changes or becomes more agressive when his back is against the wall. It's a slow process and is frustrating. The more collateral he gains the more he reverts back to old conservative Kirk.

Both should hit the Portal ASAP.

• Haha
He said something closer to "if we have to use our 3rd string QB, we might as well not make the trip" - meaning his 3rd team QB was completely unprepared to play. That's on Kirk. It wasn't directed at Hogan as much as it was that the staff hadn't prepared him. He did not use his name.

I imagine he really regrets that comment.

Plenty of things to criticize KF about. Might as well be accurate.

He said Hogan by name. Lol at you for calling out someone else’s accuracy. You’re right, not directed at Hogan at one bit.

Ferentz made the comment during his post-game interview following Iowa’s 28-21 win over Nebraska on Nov. 26 in Lincoln, Nebraska.

“If it was Deuce, with all due respect to Deuce, I might have stayed in Iowa City,” Ferentz said.

https://hawkfanatic.com/2021/12/06/kirk-ferentzs-comment-about-deuce-hogan-proves-costly/

He said Hogan by name. Lol at you for calling out someone else’s accuracy. You’re right, not directed at Hogan at one bit.

Ferentz made the comment during his post-game interview following Iowa’s 28-21 win over Nebraska on Nov. 26 in Lincoln, Nebraska.

“If it was Deuce, with all due respect to Deuce, I might have stayed in Iowa City,” Ferentz said.

https://hawkfanatic.com/2021/12/06/kirk-ferentzs-comment-about-deuce-hogan-proves-costly/
My bad - it's still the same thing. He wasn't ready as the 3rd string QB. KF f'd up with that comment, but I'm confident it wasn't intended to throw Hogan under the bus.

My name is @HawkOn15 and I insert a laughing emoji on almost every comment. This makes me a better Hawk fan, right?

Right.
This is what you do if you're enough of a smart ass to mock others' comments but not smart enough to respond with any substantive rebuttal of your own. Happens all the time these days. Lots of dumb smart asses out there.

Putin’s Ukrainian annexation vote is comparable to the competition for starting QB at Iowa. The first thing to know and understand is the OC and HC set up the standards to be measured. They decide on the plays to be executed and they do the evaluation. They decide what defense to be used. In a true competition each QB candidate would have a personal coach and that coach could use any play in the play book or modification of a play. Each QB would be behind the same offensive lineman. The defense would operate independent of the HC and OC.

To make this short S. Petras was going to win the competition using a stacked deck. He had the most experience performing the same unoriginal offense. I sincerely doubt that any of the QB’s were allowed to use their running abilities because it would expose how poor Petras is at running or recognizing when to run. I don't know if any media members has ever asked "HOW" the competition will be conducted and "WHO" gets to score the QB's.
How do you know this to be true? Asking for a friend...

You have no idea what the F you're talking about....but you sure present it with authority. Stupid ass post. Great work....it's as if you were at practice everyday watching what you describe. What a shitload of garbage.

Focusing on the quarterbacks competition here is a micro problem - this offense is a macro problem.
Amen.

The QB posts are so old, just reply to an existing post rather than creating a new one; absolutely nothing new in any if these threads.

Amen.

The QB posts are so old, just reply to an existing post rather than creating a new one; absolutely nothing new in any if these threads.
Maybe because there's nothing new with the football team?

Show up. Insert same players and continue to get same results. WTF else are we supposed to discuss?? Enlighten everyone as the hawks aren't putting any updated / exciting football out there.

• Haha
If your stated goals are to win a Big 10 championship and qualify for the college football playoff, then you must play the players that will get you there. Coaches and fans know Petras cannot lead this team to your stated goals. We know this by his body of work. And no, he didn't lead this team to the Big 10 championship last year he road the coat tails of the defense. So, knowing the goals, wouldn't you try Padilla and if he doesn't pan out, then Labas and so on. Yep, you still might finish 6 and 6 or whatever but at least others get experience and you might find out who could actually lead your team to those goals next season.

If your stated goals are to win a Big 10 championship and qualify for the college football playoff, then you must play the players that will get you there. Coaches and fans know Petras cannot lead this team to your stated goals. We know this by his body of work. And no, he didn't lead this team to the Big 10 championship last year he road the coat tails of the defense. So, knowing the goals, wouldn't you try Padilla and if he doesn't pan out, then Labas and so on. Yep, you still might finish 6 and 6 or whatever but at least others get experience and you might find out who could actually lead your team to those goals next season.
I said the exact same thing 9 months ago because I saw this coming.

Being the incumbent in Iowa Football is a beautiful thing.
It's amazing to me that if a RB coughs up the rock, he goes directly to the KF dog house for essentially the rest of the season. Yet, game after game he will start one of the worst QBs in college football (INTs and all) without ANY consideration for QB2 or QB3. If not for an injury to Petras last season, Padilla would have never sniffed the playing field. That is sad. Honestly, why any H.S. QB would even consider Iowa is beyond comprehension...

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT