ADVERTISEMENT

Shatel: Help us, Hawkeye Nation, you're our only hope (to fill stadium for Big Ten baseball tourney)

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
It’s Hug-A-Hawkeye Week. Sell them your tickets. Heck, buy him breakfast on Wednesday.

The SEC baseball tournament comes to Omaha in June, coincidentally, during the College World Series. This week, the Big Ten takes over TD Ameritrade Park.

And there’s only one small problem.

Nebraska is taking this year off. Great timing, right?

This is the first of five straight years that Omaha will host the Big Ten baseball tournament. The league chose to anchor it here for two obvious reasons.

One, it’s the home of the CWS. Two, Nebraska fans will help push attendance and make the event look awful good on TV.

Now the Big Ten’s hope is that several thousand Husker fans will come out to see Minnesota play Michigan State.

Iowa fans, we need you.

Yes, I know we’ve had our differences. Hey, you’ve won the last three football games. Bring the Heroes Trophy. Bring play-by-play announcer Gary Dolphin. He can do a stand-up routine between games.

Come take over the bars and restaurants around the stadium and downtown. It’s time for Iowa money to come to Nebraska. There are some terrific places to eat and drink in our city. And I promise, not all of them have posters of the 1997 Huskers in frames.

However, I can’t promise that folks you run into won’t be talking about Scott Frost. But I don’t believe you will run into Frost. At least I don’t think so.

We need you, Hawkeye fans. On Monday there were just over 5,000 all-session tickets sold for the week. That’s not bad, especially considering the season Darin Erstad’s crew had. But nobody knows how many of those are Husker fans who may decide to sit this one out.

I think some Nebraska fans will still make it out to a few games. The Big Ten is improving all the time and this year’s league champ Minnesota looks like a team that will host a regional and could go deep with the right matchup. There’s a lot of civic pride here to make big events work. We’ll see.

The Kansas basketball team isn’t here, are they?

Come on, Hawkeyes. You can do it. Just like two years ago, when you shocked us by showing up on that Sunday of the 2016 Big Ten tournarment championship game against Ohio State. Iowa fell short, but the sight of just over 10,000 Hawkeye fans in TD Ameritrade Park left a big impression.

Coach Rick Heller’s program keeps climbing. The Hawkeyes won the Big Ten tourney last year. This year, they are on the NCAA tourney bubble, needing a big week. Your team will need you, too, Hawkeye fans.

And they’ll need you early. Iowa opens the Big Ten tournament against Michigan at 9 a.m. Wednesday. Breakfast dogs for everyone.

This week will test the mettle of the Big Ten-Omaha relationship. The league’s tourney has been here twice before, and crowds were good — with NU here both times. The Nebraska vs. Indiana/Kyle Schwarber final in 2014 drew more than 20,000.

Fans here will come out for good college baseball, which makes Omaha unique to a lot of cities. Much of that is our CWS history. Can the Big Ten tournament be a solid warm-up to the CWS, perhaps even a moneymaker?

For years, I saw Oklahoma City embrace the Big Eight and Big 12 tournaments. Officials would usually try to schedule the Oklahoma State and Oklahoma games at night, if possible, and large crowds would show up after work and dinner. Those two were virtual locks to not only make the tourney but be there all week and win it.

I’m sure some of the same thinking went into the Big Ten giving Omaha a long-term deal. And when we saw all those Hawkeye fans two years ago, a light came on. What if Nebraska and Iowa could both be here, and even play each other, deep into the week? How much fun would that be?

We’ll have to wait until next year to find out. This week, it’s up to you,

Hawkeyes.

http://www.omaha.com/sports/plus/sh...cle_9466dc04-669f-5911-a933-f6c92346ae62.html

Itll prove 'most' nebby fans are nebby fans and NOT really college baseball fans. Should be a relaxing week down there, wont see any Nebby football jerseys. Shatel still has a column? Lol

Went down a cpl years ago or so. Nebby played and won, stadium full. Hawks played Indiana next game if I'm remembering correctly to see who played Nebby next game. Nebby fans left, maybe 2000 fans sitting there. I'd a thought they would at least stuck around to see who the winner was.

Last edited:
Its crazy, isn't it, that the weather finally warms up when the post season is just about to start?

Its a wonder any Midwest teams make any noise in the NCAA tournament. The southern teams have so many advantages.

It will be interesting to see if the Western Iowa (especially Council Bluffs) Hawk fans show up.
I hope they show up like they did for the basketball game in Sioux Falls.

As I've said before, back in 2016 I was completely shocked driving down to see the OSU title game. Thought I'd just stroll up and buy a ticket and cars were parked several blocks away. Then, I get to TD Ameritrade stadium and there's ticket lines of bumblebees as far as the eye can see! Walk-up crowd was amazing and most probably didn't see the first or 2nd inning due to overwhelming the TDA staff. I can still hear the chants of "Let's Go Hawks" flowing through that stadium in the 7th and 8th innings as Iowa mounted a comeback, sent chills down my spine and I could only imagine if Heller ever took us to the CWS, Omaha would be full of black and gold!

Just drove around the stadium, the Hawks have arrived! Going to be hot so an early start probably a good thing, could be pushing 90 degrees by afternoon. Can't lose the first game, loser's bracket is tough!
The last series the weather was 'hot' Iowa's bats heated up and overwhelmed Oklahoma State pitching. Hopefully the same thing happens in Omaha!

Reactions: cigaretteman
Yeah, hopefully this Iowa offense shows up during their 1st four games of the BTT:

16 runs vs Missouri
6 runs vs OK State
16 runs vs OK State
11 runs vs OK State
TDA is a huge park as you know, concentrate on hitting line drives because HR's will be scarce due to the outfield size.However, I decided to look at dimensions and TDA isn't really that much bigger than Duane Banks, was surprised.
Duane Banks:
Down the lines: 329'
Power alleys: 375'
Centerfield: 395'

TDA:

LF - 335, LCF - 375, C - 408, RC - 375, RF - 335

Reactions: Franisdaman
TDA is a huge park as you know, concentrate on hitting line drives because HR's will be scarce due to the outfield size.However, I decided to look at dimensions and TDA isn't really that much bigger than Duane Banks, was surprised.
Duane Banks:

TDA:

Yeah, I think it got the reputation for being big and hard to hit homers in due to it yielding many fewer homers than people had come to expect in comparison to Rosenblatt Stadium.

Duane Banks:

TDA:

wow! CF is 408? not many balls are gonna be hit out, imo....

13 feet is a lot of room to get under the ball (when comparing Banks to TDA)

I'm surprised the haven't shortened the porch in Omaha since they've taken the pop out of the bats. Chicks dig the long ball after all...

Reactions: Franisdaman
As I've said before, back in 2016 I was completely shocked driving down to see the OSU title game. Thought I'd just stroll up and buy a ticket and cars were parked several blocks away. Then, I get to TD Ameritrade stadium and there's ticket lines of bumblebees as far as the eye can see! Walk-up crowd was amazing and most probably didn't see the first or 2nd inning due to overwhelming the TDA staff. I can still hear the chants of "Let's Go Hawks" flowing through that stadium in the 7th and 8th innings as Iowa mounted a comeback, sent chills down my spine and I could only imagine if Heller ever took us to the CWS, Omaha would be full of black and gold!

And td ameritrade was woefully unprepared. People didn't get in until the 3rd inning....concessions long....parking was a mess leaving

Regarding Duane Banks' dimensions, remember they were shortened when they repositioned the diamond during the surface renovation. If DB and TDA are relatively close now, they were even closer before.

I'm surprised the haven't shortened the porch in Omaha since they've taken the pop out of the bats. Chicks dig the long ball after all...

They’ve talked about it at length. The seams on college baseballs have been reduced and BBCOR bats have come a long ways since their origination. It’s still a big yard but things have begun to return to balance.

Reactions: whatsup13579er
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT