ADVERTISEMENT

Shawn Eichorst turned Iowa/Nebraska into a Rivalry; Game needs to stay on Black Friday

Franisdaman

HB King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Iowa winning the last 3 games in Lincoln and 4 of the last 5 overall has helped the Iowa/Nebraska rivalry. And let's face it, Nebraska does not like losing to Iowa.

And former Nebraska AD Shawn Eichorst's words will never be forgotten in Hawkeye land. Kirk Ferentz has an amazing memory and I can guarantee you he does not forget what Eichorst said in 2014.

The following comes from https://www.landof10.com/iowa/nebraska-ad-fired-shawn-eichorst-iowa

Shawn Eichorst tied his legacy to firing football coach Bo Pelini and hiring replacement Mike Riley in late 2014. Inside that six-day period, Eichorst either inadvertently or intentionally ignited a phrase that sparked controversy in the Hawkeye state and reverberates three years later.

Two days after Pelini’s crew rallied from a 17-point third-quarter deficit to beat Iowa 37-34 in overtime, Eichorst fired the combustable coach. At his Nov. 30, 2014 news conference, Eichorst was asked if the Huskers’ victory made the decision more difficult.

“Our kids showed great character and resiliency in a tough environment,” Eichorst said, “so it did play a factor. But in the final analysis, I had to evaluate where Iowa was.”

Last edited:
Iowa winning the last 3 games in Lincoln has helped the Iowa/Nebraska rivalry. Lets face it, Nebraska does not like losing to Iowa.

And former Nebraska AD Shawn Eichorst's words will never be forgotten in Hawkeye land. Kirk Ferentz has an amazing memory and I can guarantee you he does not forget what Eichorst said in 2014.

The following comes from https://www.landof10.com/iowa/nebraska-ad-fired-shawn-eichorst-iowa

Shawn Eichorst tied his legacy to firing football coach Bo Pelini and hiring replacement Mike Riley in late 2014. Inside that six-day period, Eichorst either inadvertently or intentionally ignited a phrase that sparked controversy in the Hawkeye state and reverberates three years later.

Two days after Pelini’s crew rallied from a 17-point third-quarter deficit to beat Iowa 37-34 in overtime, Eichorst fired the combustable coach. At his Nov. 30, 2014 news conference, Eichorst was asked if the Huskers’ victory made the decision more difficult.

“Our kids showed great character and resiliency in a tough environment,” Eichorst said, “so it did play a factor. But in the final analysis, I had to evaluate where Iowa was.”

Let's analysis where Shawn Eichorst is now and what he did with his terrific hire that put Nebraska football back a half a decade...

Those words need to be printed in stone in the Iowa locker room. This is what Nebraska admin, coaches, and fans think of you.

I agree it needs to stay on Black Friday.

Reactions: greenelite
Moos wants it to stay on Friday

Its weird. The B1G season used to end the Saturday before Thanksgiving. Ferentz liked it because it gave his kids the chance to be done with football and be home with family. Then that changed because all the other conferences were playing the Saturday after Thanksgiving and the next Saturday, too, in the conference championship games.

I think it has taken some getting used to playing on Black Friday for Iowa fans but I think its becoming a nice, fun tradition. And now the B1G wants to take that away?

1) That sentence makes no sense.
2) Nebraska fans talked endlessly about how great of a hire Mike Riley was.

There may have been some but the majority of the fan base said to themselves" really Mike Riley is you're choice to replace Pelini"

I for one hoped it work out must like every fan base would do with a new hire, but I knew this wasn't a better hire than the Head Coach we fired.

Reactions: millah_22
The series will take a two year break from Black Friday in 2020 and 2021, then I fully expect the matchup with Huskers and Hawkeyes to resume on Black Friday moving forward

Beating Nebraska like that is fun but I’d rather play & beat Wisconsin at the end of the year. It almost feel like Iowa is being made to be a rival with Nebraska, I guess it makes since on the West side of Iowa but being from Northeast Iowa my rival tendencies fall on Wisconsin, Minny, illy and Northwestern really perturbs the heck out of me! That being said with Nebbie joining the rival party with the trophy and all I don’t think it matters what day we play them on. it’s only fun on Black Friday because we’ve been slapping the stuffing out them lately :)

1) That sentence makes no sense.
2) Nebraska fans talked endlessly about how great of a hire Mike Riley was.
Maybe H8fulgr8 bc he'd tell us a dogshit sandwhich is an amazing hire as long as it was wearing a N hat. As for my husker friends, they were mad/confused since day 1.

The series will take a two year break from Black Friday in 2020 and 2021, then I fully expect the matchup with Huskers and Hawkeyes to resume on Black Friday moving forward
I wouldn't be so sure. I could see in 2 years Iowa plays Minnesota the last game and you will play Wisconsin. I hate the Black Friday game and spare me the it's the only game on for the recruiting advantage. So many other teams are playing that day now

I'm sorry.

I would like a rivalry with someone more competitive.

We play way better playing up a level and you guys know this.

I wouldn't be so sure. I could see in 2 years Iowa plays Minnesota the last game and you will play Wisconsin. I hate the Black Friday game and spare me the it's the only game on for the recruiting advantage. So many other teams are playing that day now

Sure, that could happen. That is what the intent by the Big Ten is currently. Bill Moos says he will be in contact with the league office about keeping the date for Iowa v. Nebraska, though. Time will tell.

Reactions: Franisdaman

Did anyone ever give a reason for the change?

I don't care how competitive the games with Minnesota are or are not, that's still the game I'd prefer to end the year. One team grabbing the pig is my favorite way to end the regular season. Wisconsin or Nebraska is fine, and I really don't even view Minnesota as a great rival, often cheer for them when we don't play them, but the Floyd of Rosedale makes it special in ways the other trophies cannot. When you see top 10 countdowns for trophy games, it's always on the list, the Heartland and Heroes Trophies were too late to the party.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT