ADVERTISEMENT

Shayne van ness.

Jrjt0518

HR All-American
Dec 22, 2019
To Anybody in the know. Why isn’t Iowa after this kid. He is Iowa style all day. Motor and heart.

It was reported last year sometime that he had his list of schools down to 5. Princeton, Cornell, Michigan, Rutgers and wait for it..........Penn St. Tough to bring in east coast kids I imagine, when there are solid programs with great academics closer to home.

Reactions: Jrjt0518
Because Rathjen Tech’d him last summer in Akron

QUOTE="Jrjt0518, post: 7672503, member: 102504"]To Anybody in the know. Why isn’t Iowa after this kid. He is Iowa style all day. Motor and heart.
[/QUOTE]
Not in folk. That’s a fact!!!!

It was reported last year sometime that he had his list of schools down to 5. Princeton, Cornell, Michigan, Rutgers and wait for it..........Penn St. Tough to bring in east coast kids I imagine, when there are solid programs with great academics closer to home.

That’s funny since 5 of your 10 starters are from the East.

He added Ohio State to the list....So now it is a list of six.

Just gut tells me it comes down to Princeton/Rutgers....

Being that he is a legacy at RU, you know they are going to go balls to the wall to land him.

I would say that explains it.[/QUOTE]

I don’t think it explains much of anything. I think Rathjen is a great addition to the team and have watched the freestyle match referenced a few times in the past. However, I’d say Van Ness wins comfortably in a folkstyle match. If not, I would be pleasantly surprised.

I would say that explains it.

I don’t think it explains much of anything. I think Rathjen is a great addition to the team and have watched the freestyle match referenced a few times in the past. However, I’d say Van Ness wins comfortably in a folkstyle match. If not, I would be pleasantly surprised.[/QUOTE]
Huh? What are you basing that off of? Simply rankings? I just rewatched it and I didn’t see anything to indicate van ness would win that match if the rules were folkstyle. One could certainly assume it would be closer but Rathjen dominated that match and the style really doesn’t matter. Dominated.

I don’t think it explains much of anything. I think Rathjen is a great addition to the team and have watched the freestyle match referenced a few times in the past. However, I’d say Van Ness wins comfortably in a folkstyle match. If not, I would be pleasantly surprised.
Huh? What are you basing that off of? Simply rankings? I just rewatched it and I didn’t see anything to indicate van ness would win that match if the rules were folkstyle. One could certainly assume it would be closer but Rathjen dominated that match and the style really doesn’t matter. Dominated.[/QUOTE]
Have you watched van ness in folk? Apparently not I see from reading your post. He is the real deal and is a national contender out of the gate.

Huh? What are you basing that off of? Simply rankings? I just rewatched it and I didn’t see anything to indicate van ness would win that match if the rules were folkstyle. One could certainly assume it would be closer but Rathjen dominated that match and the style really doesn’t matter. Dominated.
Have you watched van ness in folk? Apparently not I see from reading your post. He is the real deal and is a national contender out of the gate.[/QUOTE]
You referenced their match and in my opinion insinuated that after watching that match you thought Van Ness would have won if it were a folk match. That match did not indicate that in any way.

Frankly, you guys don't know what you're talking about.

Taking nothing away from Rathjen, Van Ness wasn't right in Akron.

Rathjen had a great Akron, but was teched by Mendez and then DNP'd in Fargo.

At WNO Van Ness beat 2x Fargo Champ, 3x Fargo Finalist Dom Serrano (who teched Rathjen for 3rd in Akron) and then World Teamer and Akron Champ Mendez.

No disrespect to Rathjen....he's a great prospect, but to say SVN is a lesser prospect or that's why Iowa's not on his list is silly.

The factors are academics and geography. some combo of it.

and why would Iowa even care or throw money at him? they are loaded w/ incoming studs 125 thru 141.

At WNO Van Ness beat 2x Fargo Champ, 3x Fargo Finalist Dom Serrano (who teched Rathjen for 3rd in Akron) and then World Teamer and Akron Champ Mendez.

No disrespect to Rathjen....he's a great prospect, but to say SVN is a lesser prospect or that's why Iowa's not on his list is silly.

and why would Iowa even care or throw money at him? they are loaded w/ incoming studs 125 thru 141.

Was he the one that needed a late questionable exposure to win his first match?

He did say "east coast". Western Penn. is not "east coast". Just a stone throw away is Ohio and Ohio is considered "mid-west". Now, Iowa does pull an east coast guy now and then. It is a tougher task.

Beat me to the punch. Van Ness is from Jersey, wrestles at Blair. I can think of only 4 Blair wrestlers that came to Iowa (Steve Mocco, Mike Evans, Mark Perry and Rico Chiaparrelli). Damn, solid list though.

And people think @SPOONER comes off as arrogant. At least he didn’t call you a bunch of dumb dicks this time

His dad Rodney has the 3rd most career wins in RU History and Shayne grew up about 10 miles from The RU campus before enrolling at Blair which is probably 40 miles from RU. This one is going to be interesting. I think it comes down to Rutgers or Cornell. He attends Rutgers Home duals and has seen the excitement of the Jersey fans and he would be an immediate fan favorite if he wrestles for Rutgers. One good thing RU wrestling facilities are 2nd to none. You win a NCAA title at Rutgers ( The State University of NJ) and your on billboards on the busiest highways in America, you win one at Cornell and you just join a list ..Princeton would probably be in the mix also and how can you blame him if he picks one of the top 3 academic Universities in America. Blair ($66,000 tuition) hasn't had a pipeline to Rutgers in the past but this one can change that. Buxton always thought his guys were to good for RU but that was when Rutgers had No NCAA Champs and zero or 1 NCAA Qualifiers and not a member of B1G.

Last edited:
Blair ($66,000 tuition) .
200w.webp

always nice to begin a post with you guys don't know what you are talking about.gfys
I was thinking the same thing. The rest of the post is fine. Why go out of your way to alienate people. The guy needs to hire himself a PR professional.

Reactions: tigerguy_
This isn't real hard detective work. Look at the times he tweets. He is hammered most nights with his phone in his hand.

And I will be absolutely shocked if Mendez isn't wearing a Hawkeye singlet in college. You can write that one down.
Drake, Yabarra, Schriever, Henson, Rathjen and Reyna already commited... That's a pretty crowded light weight room already to make guarantee.

Reactions: el dub
Drake, Yabarra, Schriever, Henson, Rathjen and Reyna already commited... That's a pretty crowded light weight room already to make guarantee.

Mendez is a cadet world gold medalist and the top P4P kid. He projects 141 maybe moves up to 149 at some point. So the top 2 guys of the 6 you mentioned don't even factor (Ayala & Ybarra). The other four I like but I don't think there is anything there that scares away Mendez. Plus there is an age cushion.

I'm hearing now he's a strong Princeton lean. Its just amazing how much better they are after hiring Ayers and Joey D...Years ago they were just pathetic...They are just going to keep getting better with the classes they have been signing last couple of years.

Reactions: el dub
I'm hearing now he's a strong Princeton lean. Its just amazing how much better they are after hiring Ayers and Joey D...Years ago they were just pathetic...They are just going to keep getting better with the classes they have been signing last couple of years.
Hard to pass on the education and now you've NJRTC athletes to train with and amazing coaching.Princeton is the best story going if you want to talk about building something from the ground up

Well so was Bartlett...

Yeah, they really stepped up there schedule strength too.

Mendez is a cadet world gold medalist and the top P4P kid. He projects 141 maybe moves up to 149 at some point. So the top 2 guys of the 6 you mentioned don't even factor (Ayala & Ybarra). The other four I like but I don't think there is anything there that scares away Mendez. Plus there is an age cushion.
Mendez is a good recruit, but not a cadet world champ. He made the team, but went 1-1 and dnp.

Always been a bit of a head scratcher to me when we project the college weight of HS sophomores. My sophomore year I wrestled 135. By the time I was a freshman in college the old 158 weight class was a hard cut as I was walking around about 165. Unless he completely stops growing he could be anywhere from 141 to 165. He still has two more years of HS. Also you gotta account for his Covid isolation gains.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT