ADVERTISEMENT

She's just not smart.

The increase in profit margins has been large for the grocery industry over the past few years.

The grocery industry typically operates with relatively low profit margins compared to other sectors due to the high competition and price sensitivity among consumers. Over the past five years, the average profit margins for the grocery industry in the U.S. have generally ranged between 1% and 3%. Here's an approximate breakdown:

• 2022: Around 2.5% - 3.0%
  • 2021: Around 2.0% - 2.5%
  • 2020: Around 2.0% - 3.0% (Margins saw a slight increase due to the pandemic and a surge in grocery demand)
  • 2019: Around 1.5% - 2.0%
  • 2018: Around 1.5% - 2.0%

Reactions: Ree4 and fsu1jreed
The increase in profit margins has been large for the grocery industry over the past few years.

The grocery industry typically operates with relatively low profit margins compared to other sectors due to the high competition and price sensitivity among consumers. Over the past five years, the average profit margins for the grocery industry in the U.S. have generally ranged between 1% and 3%. Here's an approximate breakdown:

• 2022: Around 2.5% - 3.0%
  • 2021: Around 2.0% - 2.5%
  • 2020: Around 2.0% - 3.0% (Margins saw a slight increase due to the pandemic and a surge in grocery demand)
  • 2019: Around 1.5% - 2.0%
  • 2018: Around 1.5% - 2.0%
Read that and give me any form of a coherent argument on how we should be restricting profits for industries running 3% profitability.

Without then subsidizing them.

Reactions: Rifler
Read that and give me any form of a coherent argument on how we should be restricting profits for industries running 3% profitability.

Without then subsidizing them.
The point being discussed is that the grocery industry has seen a sizeable increase in profit margins in the past few years and that certainly has contributed to the inflation we are seeing.

I would ask you to try to keep up but we all know that's not possible.

Reactions: Ree4 and HawkNester
The point being discussed is that the grocery industry has seen a sizeable increase in profit margins in the past few years and that certainly has contributed to the inflation we are seeing.

I would ask you to try to keep up but we all know that's not possible.
Where are you seeing "sizable increases in profit" there?

It doesn't matter. The "all day recess" voters will believe whatever they're told and vote accordingly bc they're idiots.
The ones who know it's bs but are driven by partisanship will actively defend it bc they're low integrity hacks. See this very thread.
If you think profit margin increases of .5-1% are equal to price gouging you're one of the two described above.

Honestly I don't think this is anything more than a campaign policy. It's something that is ment to sound good but even if implemented I doubt they would find a great deal of price gouging going on in the first place. Groceries are just too competitive. There is only so much margin you can add before people just say F*** it and buy the off brand.

Still not nearly as bad as Trump's tariff's idea.

Incomplete data is incomplete. It would be nice to see gross margin and their percentage of operating expenses. Lots of ways to manipulate numbers here without all of the information.

Too much focus on grocery chain profits when the real culprits are Cargill, PepsiCo,M&M Mars,Tyson foods, General Mills, etc.etc.
Oligopolies with little competition have no incentive to be efficient and innovative. I think we also need to focus on anti-trust laws. Late stage capitalism will continually devolve into anti-competitive practices without proper guardrails.

origin.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT