ADVERTISEMENT

Shocker: Barta has 'Full Faith' in Brian Ferentz

What else is he going to say?

Barta should have been shown the door a long time ago.
show me a time in Iowa athletics where overall the Iowa athletics department has been in better shape….. especially since coming off the pandemic and the frivolous lawsuit against the football program…. we’ve won a national title in wrestling big titles in men and womens basketball ….. won the west in football a year ago and if I’m not mistaken the last five years have been some of the “winningest” in program history

What’s Barta have to do to impress you people….. JFC

Reactions: Im4Iowa
You don’t get it.

The only way Brian isn’t back next year as OC is if Brian decides to leave and take a job somewhere else. As long as KF is HC, he will be Iowa’s OC. Is it a mess as it stands? Of course it is.

Personally I think the most likely scenario is Kirk encourages Brian to find a job elsewhere.

wait a minute…..are you paying attention??

in the last few years Iowa has won big titles in men and women’s basketball….. won the west division in football and you want him run out of town?

It’s weird to me. In many respects he does a good job, but he has consistently demonstrated that he is a horrible contract negotiator and their w/l in lawsuits is not good.

show me a time in Iowa athletics where overall the Iowa athletics department has been in better shape….. especially since coming off the pandemic and the frivolous lawsuit against the football program…. we’ve won a national title in wrestling big titles in men and womens basketball ….. won the west in football a year ago and if I’m not mistaken the last five years have been some of the “winningest” in program history

The coaches for football, WBB, wrestling were all hired by the previous AD. So Barta deserves credit for not f—-ing that up,

Off the field, there’s been the Meyer lawsuit verdict and we won’t get on on the current player lawsuit until the spring.

I’ll still say nothing compared to the smoothness in the athletic department under Bump during the majority of his tenure .

Most incompetent AD in the P5. Even “Rah Rah Ketchup and Mustard” would be an upgrade.
Is he though? The Iowa athletic department is thriving right now and has some really good programs and coaches. Im not a fan of the BF hire either for obvious reasons, but one crappy hire doesn’t make him the worst AD in P5.

Bottom line: KF doesn’t care one bit at this stage of his career what we think. He knows he’s built much “good will equity” with probably the majority of fans. He WILL NOT demote his son.

Could KF and BF both finally realize it would be best if BF coached somewhere else? I’m sure but doesn’t mean it will happen.

And finally, answer me this: Who else hires BF before his name gets cleared from the player’s lawsuit with BF being the primary defendant?

that is the only potential hurdle imo, but I think he’s an OL coach in the nfl next year.

Seriously. What is he supposed to say? Sure I’d like to fire Brian but, daddy won’t let me?

Let’s control what we can control guys. We need the juggernaut that is Nevada’s defense to keep Colorado State under 245 yards tonight, to keep us from being the worst offense in the country again. Let’s focus on that. 😊

Maybe he should have either said nothing, or else given some sort of non-committal answer. If he truly has full faith in Brian…….God help this team going forward.
Yeah, would have been better to say "I have faith in this coaching staff" in general or simply that he doesn't comment on individual coaches' performances mid-season. Coming out and saying that he has full faith in the worst coach in college football is just plain silly, and I sure hope that's not true Like someone else mentioned, when a coach has to be defended publicly, the writing is usually on the wall (and THAT I hope is true).

Reactions: 83Hawk
And finally, answer me this: Who else hires BF before his name gets cleared from the player’s lawsuit with BF being the primary defendant?
Hire him to do what job? That issue aside I doubt anyone wants him. He was basically an intern for the Patriots due his dad's connections and is failing miserably at his current job his dad hired him to do without considering any other candidates. Seriously, outside of a positional coach at a directional school where they don't even report on the hirings and firings, what fan base in the galaxy would want him on his merits alone? But ya, factor in him being tied to that lawsuit and he's even more unhirable.

Back to the thread title, I won't be making time to watch the Illinois game Saturday night. I skipped the Michigan game because I knew what was going to happen and had other things in the afternoon. First time in years I had that level of apathy. No matter how pissed off I am at this family venture, I would have still watched the night game just because. Now that the guy who can stop this nonsense weighs in and says everything is just great, F that, I'm going into a Steve Alford era of not watching or caring for a while. I've never been a Barta supporter but this is just insane.

Hire him to do what job? That issue aside I doubt anyone wants him. He was basically an intern for the Patriots due his dad's connections and is failing miserably at his current job his dad hired him to do without considering any other candidates. Seriously, outside of a positional coach at a directional school where they don't even report on the hirings and firings, what fan base in the galaxy would want him on his merits alone? But ya, factor in him being tied to that lawsuit and he's even more unhirable.

Back to the thread title, I won't be making time to watch the Illinois game Saturday night. I skipped the Michigan game because I knew what was going to happen and had other things in the afternoon. First time in years I had that level of apathy. No matter how pissed off I am at this family venture, I would have still watched the night game just because. Now that the guy who can stop this nonsense weighs in and says everything is just great, F that, I'm going into a Steve Alford era of not watching or caring for a while. I've never been a Barta supporter but this is just insane.
I think Brian is a good OL coach- I just think he’s in over his head as an OC.

Reactions: hawk_a_holic

Mid ‘50s, much of the 80’s…….

so 40 years ago
Curb Your Enthusiasm Ok GIF

When comparing tenures of Bowlsby and Barta, I’ll clearly put Bowlsby ahead. He hired Ferentz, Bluder, and Brands. The best major sport hire by Barta is McCaffery. And even with him we’ve yet to see a Sweet 16.

Reactions: kcgolfer
show me a time in Iowa athletics where overall the Iowa athletics department has been in better shape
Well as a wrestling fan I figured you'd know it's the 80's AINEC. I'm not saying this isn't a good time for the athletic dept but not like the 80's. Iowa fb was going to Rose Bowls and hanging with Michigan and OSU without hiding out in the big ten west and they played real programs in the non conference

Iowa was ranked #1 in football and basketball within a couple years of each other and both men and women's basketball were making sweet 16/elite 8 runs which is what really matters. You might also recall Iowa wrestling was the dominant program in the sport, not playing second fiddle to the dominant program. Oh what a time to be a hawk.

Nobody is acting like the Iowa athletics dept isn't doing well, most would just like to see something done about the mess that is Kirk's offense. It's keeping the program from doing even better, I don't get why some fans get so pissy and defensive about fans wanting to be as good as possible

Well as a wrestling fan I figured you'd know it's the 80's AINEC. I'm not saying this isn't a good time for the athletic dept but not like the 80's. Iowa fb was going to Rose Bowls and hanging with Michigan and OSU without hiding out in the big ten west and they played real programs in the non conference

Iowa was ranked #1 in football and basketball within a couple years of each other and both men and women's basketball were making sweet 16/elite 8 runs which is what really matters. You might also recall Iowa wrestling was the dominant program in the sport, not playing second fiddle to the dominant program. Oh what a time to be a hawk.

Nobody is acting like the Iowa athletics dept isn't doing well, most would just like to see something done about the mess that is Kirk's offense. It's keeping the program from doing even better, I don't get why some fans get so pissy and defensive about fans wanting to be as good as possible
I don’t disagree….. and me getting pissy as you suggest has been building….. everyone is beating a dead horse and I personally have had enough of all the whining….. let’s play the season and evaluate everything at years end….. I’ve been more active than normal posting because I’m tired of all the bitching….. If I were a smart man I’d just stay off the board but no one’s ever accused me of being smart

Oh…..you put a time limit on it?

Since the Ferentz era has been the last 23 years, of course anything else will be “old.”
And there is no “arguably” about it. The examples I gave were significantly better.
the dude your opinion GIF

When comparing tenures of Bowlsby and Barta, I’ll clearly put Bowlsby ahead. He hired Ferentz, Bluder, and Brands. The best major sport hire by Barta is McCaffery. And even with him we’ve yet to see a Sweet 16.
JFC....think about that for a minute!!!

Don’t forget about Barta killing couple sports like mens swimming, gymnastics and tennis 2 years ago. Also poor hires that killed softball program that under Blevins was one of the best in the big 10 80s, 90s early 00s that made college World Series few times during her 20+ years.

Folks, I am not a big fan of Gary Barta either, and certainly am not of Brian Ferentz, but what really was Barta going to say in this interview? You think he was coming out in mid-season and show grave concern regarding BF? Yea, that wouldn't have added more controversy.

I've been saying all along despite you guys not believing it: Barta's role is to simply remain 100% supportive of KF, BF, and the entire program. Barta is NOT going to tell KF what to do about his coaching staff and Barta will NOT be doing some "critical football thinking evaluation" of BF after the season-- never has and never will. You may not hearing this but it's fact.
Which is why Barta is mocked as a total boob. The only way he has full faith in Brian is because Kirk would tell him to say it or he won't get his dog biscuit treat.

I’m sure football’s 2 Rose Bowl wins and a national championship, and basketball’s 2 final fours and appearance in a title game in the ‘50s trumps the current athletic “success“ you are touting. As does the 80s, with 2 Rose Bowl appearances in football, a final four, elite eight, and sweet sixteen in basketball…..not to mention all the Big 10/national championships in wrestling.

Facts. Learn them.

I think Brian is a good OL coach- I just think he’s in over his head as an OC.
And the fact that he is now a QB coach is just ridiculous. We all know baby bri will never be fired , so the most we can hope for is a competent QB coach hire next year.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
I’m sure football’s 2 Rose Bowl wins and a national championship, and basketball’s 2 final fours and appearance in a title game in the ‘50s trumps the current athletic “success“ you are touting. As does the 80s, with 2 Rose Bowl appearances in football, a final four, elite eight, and sweet sixteen in basketball…..not to mention all the Big 10/national championships in wrestling.

Facts. Learn them.
ok so I’ll modify my statement to best it’s been in 40 years……. overall the athletic department is in pretty pretty good shape these days….. you can find arguments to disprove that if you want to …… you have the right to choose unhappiness….. enjoy ❤️

And the fact that he is now a QB coach is just ridiculous. We all no baby bri will never be fired , so the most we can hope for is a competent QB coach hire next year.
It wouldn’t surprise me if Kirk adds wide receiver coach to Brian’s duties next season.

ok so I’ll modify my statement to best it’s been in 40 years……. overall the athletic department is in pretty pretty good shape these days….. you can find arguments to disprove that if you want to …… you have the right to choose unhappiness….. enjoy ❤️
Backtracking, I see. Good for you. It’s nice when someone admits they are wrong. Doesn’t happen much these days.

• Haha
Reactions: natchrlman
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT