ADVERTISEMENT

Shoppers named Hy-Vee the best chain in the country. See the list.

cigaretteman

HB King
May 29, 2001
Iowa is home to the No. 1 grocery store in America according to shoppers.

Hy-Vee was voted the best grocery store in the country in USA TODAY 10Best Readers' Choice Awards, beating out Aldi and Trader Joe's. Hy-Vee moved up a spot in the rankings after finishing second in 2023.

The first Hy-Vee opened in Beaconsfield, Iowa in 1930. Now the company has more than 570 stores across nine Midwestern states with sales of more than $13 billion each year, according to the company.

Hy-Vee is also Iowa's largest employer, hiring around 88,000 people, according to Statista.

USA TODAY 10Best uses a panel of experts to determine finalists in each category and turns to readers to vote and make the final selections.

What areas does Hy-Vee rank better than other grocery stores?​

Inside the produce section of the new Grimes Hy-Vee, on Monday, Sep. 13, 2021, the day before the store’s official opening.

In addition to winning best overall grocery store, Hy-Vee placed in two specific categories from USA TODAY 10Best.

Hy-Vee was voted as the grocery store with the best produce by shoppers. The West Des Moines-based grocery chain just missed ranking first in best-prepared foods, coming in second to The Fresh Market.

barf

I cannot stand HV anymore, their prices are terrible and their quality has fallen the last few years

Aldi and Fareway are my preference
+1

HyVee sucks and is crazy expensive. They do have a damn good and affordable hibachi at mine though. $10 for fresh made to order stir fry. Not exactly groceries though.

Reactions: OutbackBowl2017
Seems like a weird vote. If most all grocery chains are regional, how can they know if this chain has better produce than other chains that they've likely never been to?

Reactions: Tenacious E
barf

I cannot stand HV anymore, their prices are terrible and their quality has fallen the last few years

Aldi and Fareway are my preference
I've tried I just can't do Aldi and Fareway. I get 90% of my stuff from Costco/Sam's, and fill in the gaps at HyVee, as they have tremendous selection. It is too expensive but they have what I want and I know where to find it, and I can get in and out in no time.

Reactions: gohawks50
Their prices are insane. Seems like even their store branded merchandise is too high.

We are ALDIs, Costco, and Walmart (last resort)

Reactions: QChawks
Seems like a weird vote. If most all grocery chains are regional, how can they know if this chain has better produce than other chains that they've likely never been to?
In living in the SE and traveling across the country on vacations using grocery stores, I’d say Hy Vee has better selections and much cleaner compared to Pubix’s, Kroger, Winn Dixie, etc.

Reactions: NDallasRuss
In living in the SE and traveling across the country on vacations using grocery stores, I’d say Hy Vee has better selections and much cleaner compared to Pubix’s, Kroger, Winn Dixie, etc.
See, there you go! That's what I like! I've never seen a Hy-Vee before. I've been to a Winn Dixie (worked at one in high school), and it's not hard to imagine other chains beating it in a vote. I've been to Publix - I'm certain they'd win a vote for best grocery story sandwiches!

Now that I'm back in Texas, we have HEB and Central Market. I do wonder how either of those would compare to a Hy-Vee? I know they're better than Albertsons, which is better than Kroger, which is better than Winn Dixie, which is better than the dollar store.

Hey Vee sux, but it is pretty good for Iowa. Tallest midget kinda deal.

The best grocery store chain is called HEB, and their high end branded ‘Central Market’ is the greatest grocery store ever created. It is a perfect blend of value and premium products; everything Whole Foods tried to be back in the day and more, but executed to perfection by virtue of its micro scale.

I’m all for chains like Hy-Vee growing in scale because that is one more step in the right direction to keep Kroger from taking over the country.

Kroger is the lowest common denominator of grocers. If 1960’s East Germany built grocery stores in America it would be Kroger. Kroger is the Amanda Seyfried of grocers (popular but not that attractive and low energy). Kroger employees are the spawn of accountants and risk analysts who have 2 minutes of missionary secks after a night out at California Pizza Kitchen. Kroger’s mission statement is for all Americans to make school hot-lunch quality meals at a price-point shareholders can be proud of.

See, there you go! That's what I like! I've never seen a Hy-Vee before. I've been to a Winn Dixie (worked at one in high school), and it's not hard to imagine other chains beating it in a vote. I've been to Publix - I'm certain they'd win a vote for best grocery story sandwiches!

Now that I'm back in Texas, we have HEB and Central Market. I do wonder how either of those would compare to a Hy-Vee? I know they're better than Albertsons, which is better than Kroger, which is better than Winn Dixie, which is better than the dollar store.

I have family in the Georgetown TX area. Went shopping at HEB around the holidays. Packed, but very good store.

I would be curious as well. From what I read, HEB is supposed to be the best "normal" (i.e., not like Whole Foods) grocery store, but I have never been in one.

I’m all for chains like Hy-Vee growing in scale because that is one more step in the right direction to keep Kroger from taking over the country.

Kroger is the lowest common denominator of grocers. If 1960’s East Germany built grocery stores in America it would be Kroger. Kroger is the Amanda Seyfried of grocers (popular but not that attractive and low energy). Kroger employees are the spawn of accountants and risk analysts who have 2 minutes of missionary secks after a night out at California Pizza Kitchen. Kroger’s mission statement is for all Americans to make school hot-lunch quality meals at a price-point shareholders can be proud of.
Kroger Signature is fantastic for produce and non perishables. Often massive cheese departments too. There are usually a few prime cuts of meat for good prices.

Their delis and bakery are terrible.

Hey Vee sux, but it is pretty good for Iowa. Tallest midget kinda deal.

The best grocery store chain is called HEB, and their high end branded ‘Central Market’ is the greatest grocery store ever created. It is a perfect blend of value and premium products; everything Whole Foods tried to be back in the day and more, but executed to perfection by virtue of its micro scale.
The best grocery store I’ve ever experienced was Ukrop’s in Richmond, VA as it was a family owned chain that had the best deli and bakery I’ve ever experienced out of all the chains out there. They eventually sold to Kroger and immediately went to crap. Ugh.

Will say, we liked Harris Teeter when we vacation in North Carolina too. Very similar to Hy Vee, possibly even better with higher prices. Shop there and Public’s when in OBX.

How do you really feel about Kroger?

• Haha
The best grocery store I’ve ever experienced was Ukrop’s in Richmond, VA as it was a family owned chain that had the best deli and bakery I’ve ever experienced out of all the chains out there. They eventually sold to Kroger and immediately went to crap. Ugh.

Will say, we liked Harris Teeter when we vacation in North Carolina too. Very similar to Hy Vee, possibly even better with higher prices. Shop there and Public’s when in OBX.
Harris Teeter is right in that same vein as HyVee and Publix, in my opinion. When in NC, Fresh Market was interesting to visit. It's like Whole Foods with some pretty good pre-made things you can put on the grill and such.

Last edited:
Reactions: OutbackBowl2017
I've tried I just can't do Aldi and Fareway. I get 90% of my stuff from Costco/Sam's, and fill in the gaps at HyVee, as they have tremendous selection. It is too expensive but they have what I want and I know where to find it, and I can get in and out in no time.
Not sure the aldi complaint. They are pretty good. Would rather shop Trader Joe.

1. Hy-Vee
  2. The Fresh Market
  3. Heinen's Grocery Store
  4. Stew Leonard's
  5. Gelson's Markets
  6. ALDI
  7. Publix Super Markets
  8. Trader Joe's
  9. Wegmans Food Markets
  10. Fresh Thyme Market

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT