ADVERTISEMENT

Short term & Long term Ramifications

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
This is a really good post game podcast by Chad Leistikow & Kenny Smith of the Register.

They discuss, among other things, how Iowa's horrific offense could affect recruiting & losing current players to the transfer portal. The negative recruiting will only intensify and Chad says our current WRs can't help but notice what Charlie Jones is doing at Purdue.

They couldn't believe there was not a QB change at half. They believe that Brian wants to move on from Spencer but Kirk is being too stubborn in making a change. Chad said that the #1 thing Iowa asks its quarterback to do is protect the football. That clearly did not happen in the game.

They also discuss how the defense & special teams are being wasted. It took a 99 yd drive (where ISU converted 6 third downs) for ISU to score one TD. LeVar noticed a weakness in ISU's punting scheme, which led to those 2 Van Ness blocked punts.

They also discuss how going down with the Petras/Brian Ferentz ship could impact/tarnish KF's legacy at Iowa.

Watch here:

Reactions: amahawk and JLDHAWK
Except QB1 isn't even doing that, so what's the holdup in making a change?
Ego and admitting you're wrong. If Padilla came in and moved out of the pocket and made some throws downfield to sustain drives and God forbid get a few TD's, KF would look completely clueless. Ironically, if SP is truly the best we have KF looks clueless for not recruiting better and upgrading the position. He looks terrible either way. But he will not allow Barta to do anything and he is getting paid no matter what.

Ego and admitting you're wrong. If Padilla came in and moved out of the pocket and made some throws downfield to sustain drives and God forbid get a few TD's, KF would look completely clueless. Ironically, if SP is truly the best we have KF looks clueless for not recruiting better and upgrading the position. He looks terrible either way. But he will not allow Barta to do anything and he is getting paid no matter what.
Well there's the thing. If all 3 backup QBs are truly WORSE than SP their recruiting sucks. It is probably hampered by the fact that any QB recruit knows the he will NEVER replace the current designated starter as long as said starter has eligibility remaining. He can get free education but that's about it.

A recruit with ability will probably want to go somewhere he might have a chance to play.

They believe that Brian wants to move on from Spencer but Kirk is being too stubborn in making a change
I think so also.

Brian is almost 40 years old. Except for the brief stint with the Patriots (thanks to Kirk), he has been under his father's thumb his entire coaching career. There comes a point in your life where you stand up for your self, where you take control of your future instead of lving with choices made by your parents.

He is already operating under the higher scrutiny that his posiiton at OC was solely due to his father. If Brian is being handcuffed and stifled from making key decisions, then he needs to make career choice that will benefit his life and career

If true, he is being given no authority to make the critical decisions that are the most important part of the job but then saddled with all the criticism when things fall apart. At some point you face the question you have to ask yourself: am I going to be a pussy my whole life, or not?

he values the floor of a QB more than the ceiling. He has proven that over and over. He only makes a change when it hits rock bottom or a guy gets hurt or graduates.

make the safe read and protect the football. the guy he has seen the most that executes the safe play will be favored.

I still wonder if Petras playing has to do with keeping Lainez committed to the program. Both have the same qb coach. When Petras was benched last year that coach immediately took to Twitter accusing the Iowa coaches of not giving him a fair chance. It’s not far fetched to think that the Iowa staff doesn’t see a lot of separation between the qbs they have so they’ll just roll with Petras to keep that qb coach happy and encourage Lainez to honor his committment.

Reactions: iahawks10

No doubt that Alex should have been the starter yesterday. That didn't happen. Then there was no doubt Alex should have started the 2nd half. That didn't happen, either.

It should be all about putting your best players out there. I honestly don't know why KF can't say that (1) Spencer was doing the best in spring & fall practice so they went with him to start the season; (2) unfortunately Spencer continues to miss throws that he should be making and has had turnover issues; therefore, that is why they promoted Alex to QB1.

KF does not even have to admit being wrong; it's just stating the facts (Spencer performed the best in the spring & fall but has struggled in games) & ALWAYS doing what's best for the team.

Reactions: FlintTown
I love Dallas Clark. Once again he was there helping with recruiting.

FcV5fB3XoAIxb28

Well there's the thing. If all 3 backup QBs are truly WORSE than SP their recruiting sucks. It is probably hampered by the fact that any QB recruit knows the he will NEVER replace the current designated starter as long as said starter has eligibility remaining. He can get free education but that's about it.

A recruit with ability will probably want to go somewhere he might have a chance to play.

IMO, our QB recruiting has been pretty good. But I agree; you gotta be wondering what Labas and May are thinking.

Here's our last 6 QB commits:

Reactions: desihawk
I still wonder if Petras playing has to do with keeping Lainez committed to the program. Both have the same qb coach. When Petras was benched last year that coach immediately took to Twitter accusing the Iowa coaches of not giving him a fair chance. It’s not far fetched to think that the Iowa staff doesn’t see a lot of separation between the qbs they have so they’ll just roll with Petras to keep that qb coach happy and encourage Lainez to honor his committment.
I haven't looked it up but who does that qb coach have as his proteges that have been top notch qb's? I have seen a bunch about him but don't know his pedigree. \

Yep... the long term ramifications is what I'm worried about. Offense recruiting was always tough as it is...now being ranked 130th in offense (with no signs of improvement/changes) is just another reason to keep guys away

It sucks. Offense purgatory
We lose Proctor and/or any other big recruits this year, then fingers will be directed squarely at the stubbornness.

Short term ramifications, when another team is lacking offensive, they'll say they're as bad as IOWA's. Long term ramifications, when another team is lacking offensive, they'll say they're as bad as IOWA's. It's all good. The notoriety will be deafening....

I would love some evidence, ANY evidence, that BF wants to change QB's and KF won't let him.

I am NOT saying that it isn't true.

If it is true, then BF should have done what I thought would be done - that is that BF would take another job anywhere to reboot his career. Whatever he has for coaching skills need to be released from KF so he can show what he can do. Iowa needs to need to be released from a father/son/HC/OC dynamic that has the HC overruling the OC on matters of offense.

If it is true, then KF needs to retire. He has to have trust in his assistants.

If it's not true, then I truly wish people would stop saying it.

Reactions: luvmyhawks
This is why it's time for kirk call it quits. He is doing enormous harm to the program right now and has for the last several years
Nope. Just get a young hot name O coordinator/ maybe a minority (cant hurt with what’s going on legally) and let this person have full control of the Offense.
Like it or not Kirk is a good CEO,,,,

• Haha
Reactions: dean_oliver222
Yeah so torch the program to keep a commit’s coach happy. That aint it.

If there is not some commitment to improve the offense with a switch in quarterbacks in the coming week(s), losing Lainez could be the least of his worries. Another couple Charlie Jones type departures at the end of the year will be a disaster. That would kill Iowa's recruiting chances on some HS players that don't like the vibe these former players would give off on the current state of the program.

Reactions: dean_oliver222
No kidding ... what the hell? He must like projects lol
Or he's thinking he'll be the starter on day one. Unfortunately, even if he's head and shoulders above everyone else, Kirk will not play him because it takes two to five years to learn how to hand the ball off on a stretch play and to overthrow a tight end on a four yard out.

If there is not some commitment to improve the offense with a switch in quarterbacks in the coming week(s), losing Lainez could be the least of his worries. Another couple Charlie Jones type departures at the end of the year will be a disaster. That would kill Iowa's recruiting chances on some HS players that don't like the vibe these former players would give off on the current state of the program.
i just hope we don't lose Johnson & Bruce at the end of the season

ironically a 2024 QB committed after yesterday's visit
Many of you don't understand how these kids think. I've got a 20 year old trying to make it in another sport. These kids see the futility as opportunity, and it's true. Athletes at this level really believe in themselves and see an opportunity to come in and get immediate playing time.

Iowa is a Big Ten school with a long history of success in wins and moving guys to the NFL. That's what attracts players.

Now, not saying everything is right, because it's not, the offense is atrocious. Just speaking to the mentality of these boys, and good for them.

I posted this in another thread but yesterday on Game Day, they spent a full five minutes discussing Iowa’s offense. None of it was complimentary. I was cringing thinking what a potential offense recruit would think.

I think so also.

Brian is almost 40 years old. Except for the brief stint with the Patriots (thanks to Kirk), he has been under his father's thumb his entire coaching career. There comes a point in your life where you stand up for your self, where you take control of your future instead of lving with choices made by your parents.

He is already operating under the higher scrutiny that his posiiton at OC was solely due to his father. If Brian is being handcuffed and stifled from making key decisions, then he needs to make career choice that will benefit his life and career

If true, he is being given no authority to make the critical decisions that are the most important part of the job but then saddled with all the criticism when things fall apart. At some point you face the question you have to ask yourself: am I going to be a pussy my whole life, or not?

BF could grow a pair and just quit and get a job he earned on his own, but I suppose that would mean'
no job because who would hire a guy that coached the worst offense in college football.

I cannot imagine what risk exists when you have the worst offense in college football. This offense is not capable of winning a Big Ten game. Not attempting change is the worst thing for recruiting.

It is essential that the public perceives the staff is changing things. Whatever else may help the public needs to think we are doing things to get better on offense.

I'd also think the "need 3 years to learn the offense" bullshit needs to end ASAP. No one wants to hear their starting career is only 1 or 2 years. You cannot be worse than the worst so change realistically only has one possible direction.

Yep... the long term ramifications is what I'm worried about. Offense recruiting was always tough as it is...now being ranked 130th in offense (with no signs of improvement/changes) is just another reason to keep guys away

It sucks. Offense purgatory
Long-term can change very quickly. Much depends on how the rest of the season plays out and what changes happen this off-season. Iowa still some good built-up goodwill from the past 6 seasons in the minds of guys who are being recruited today. It may not seem like it with what the offense is doing this year, but that is still true. My fear is that the real tests for this season are not even here yet. Michigan and Ohio State will not beat Iowa 10-7 or 13-6. They will go out and score a minimum of 28-30 points on any team they play, even against a defense as good as Iowa's. If Iowa doesn't score and hold the ball against those teams, they will put up to 50 or 60 and feel real good about doing it. They are jockeying for playoff position, so they are not going to hold back.

Heck, I am not sure how Iowa goes to Rutgers and wins a game with this offense. You don't think Schiano will have his team fired up to play against a team like Iowa? All Rutgers has to do is find a way to get to 17 points and they have a nice program win for themselves. The rest of the Big 10 West that has been itching for a shot to knock off KF (looking at Bielema and Fleck), to say nothing of the coaches who have had success against Iowa (Fitz and Brohm).

Wisconsin has its own problems too, so in the West Fleck and Brohm have to look at this year as THE year to finally get over the hump against Iowa and Wisconsin. It is interesting that both Wisconsin and Iowa are being hurt by the decisions to stay the course with QB's who were bad in 2021 (Mertz and Petras). Those decisions are turning out to not be wise.

To your original point about long-term ramifications. The answer is no one knows yet. I could see a way that KF rallies the troops and somehow manages 6 or 7 wins. If that is the case, is he of the belief that they are close and just need a few tweaks, or that fundamental changes are needed to the program and offense? My guess is he chooses the former. Only way I could see that not happening is if BF takes a NFL position coach job to take the pressure off his father from doing something. At that point, there would be an opening to try and completely change the offense. Again, unlikely.

Iowa has been fortunate in that the only extended down cycle in the last 40 years was in the transition from Fry to KF with 3 losing seasons (Hayden's final season and KF's first 2). Yes, KF had the clunker of 2012 and the 2006-07 time period, and Hayden had individual poor seasons, but the string of consistently good seasons has been remarkable for a place like Iowa. Every other peer program (sans Wisconsin) in the league has been through long periods of misery after they cycle through coach after coach.

My own opinion is that KF would have stepped down now if not for the still pending lawsuit. He didn't want the last thing people remember about his tenure to be the controversy of the summer of 2020 and this ensuing lawsuit. On the field, he semi proved his point by going 6-2 in 2020 (with Iowa playing arguably its best football since 2015) and then 10 wins and the division win in 2021. The lawsuit is still winding its way through the legal system. I'm not here to argue one way or the other on how that shold go, I just think he a) wants to fight that from a program standpoint; and b) probably feels like he has to see it through for his son's professional career. If there is a settlement or judgement that implicates BF in much of any way, that is toast for his professional career. So yes, there is a lot to unpack with Iowa football currently.

ADVERTISEMENT