ADVERTISEMENT

Short term & Long term Ramifications

A dual threat QB is not of as much value if the offensive game plan refuses to use the running portion.

Reactions: dadster
If only Iowa had some 6’ 1” or 2” three, four, or five star freshman athletes that Iowa could look to use on their 85 man roster to help create a downfield threat…..Ah, what the hell am I thinking? That would require creativity from this coaching staff and that ain’t happening.

I would love some evidence, ANY evidence, that BF wants to change QB's and KF won't let him.

I am NOT saying that it isn't true.

If it is true, then BF should have done what I thought would be done - that is that BF would take another job anywhere to reboot his career. Whatever he has for coaching skills need to be released from KF so he can show what he can do. Iowa needs to need to be released from a father/son/HC/OC dynamic that has the HC overruling the OC on matters of offense.

If it is true, then KF needs to retire. He has to have trust in his assistants.

If it's not true, then I truly wish people would stop saying it.

‘Man, do I agree with this. If Brian wants a change and Kirk is saying no, then he is doing more harm than good to Brian’s career. Kirk can’t be that dumb, can he? If Kirk is truly the one running this offense, it is time he steps back and give Brian full control to see what he can do.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
Many of you don't understand how these kids think. I've got a 20 year old trying to make it in another sport. These kids see the futility as opportunity, and it's true. Athletes at this level really believe in themselves and see an opportunity to come in and get immediate playing time.

Iowa is a Big Ten school with a long history of success in wins and moving guys to the NFL. That's what attracts players.

Now, not saying everything is right, because it's not, the offense is atrocious. Just speaking to the mentality of these boys, and good for them.

Immediate playing time, you say. The athletes can believe in themselves all they want but all they have to do is ask KF when was the last time he started a true freshman at QB.

And speaking of lack of immediate playing time, this is Joe Labas' 2nd year in the program. He's probably our most talented QB based on what Ricky Stanzi and current players have said about him but apparently our playbook is too complicated and that is holding him back. He won't start this year. He might not start next year, either, because he will be behind Alex. If he's still around, maybe he will get a start in his 4th year in the program.

Let's face the facts; you can believe in yourself all you want but if you are a QB at Iowa, you have to get in line and wait your turn.

CJ Beathard was a 3rd round NFL pick. Other than that, KF is not known for putting QBs in the NFL. And Jake Rudock does not count; he finished at Michigan.

Reactions: dadster
I posted this in another thread but yesterday on Game Day, they spent a full five minutes discussing Iowa’s offense. None of it was complimentary. I was cringing thinking what a potential offense recruit would think.

imagine the negative recruiting that is going on right now

I never played the game so I know f**k all about playbooks. For those of you with experience, have you ever seen our offense do anything that argues "complicated"?

As far as I can see the most complicated thing we do is run Dodge out toward the sideline and overthrow him by 3 feet.

This is why it's time for kirk call it quits. He is doing enormous harm to the program right now and has for the last several years

People have gone off their rockers.

B1G Conference Wins since 2020
1. Ohio St 14
2. Iowa 13
3. Michigan 11
4. MSU 9
4. Minnesota 9
4. Penn St 9
4. Wisconsin 9
8. NW 8
8. Purdue 8
10. Indiana 7
11. Illinois 6 1
12. Maryland 5
12. Rutgers 5
14. Nebraska 4

Reactions: natchrlman
Nope. Just get a young hot name O coordinator/ maybe a minority (cant hurt with what’s going on legally) and let this person have full control of the Offense.
Like it or not Kirk is a good CEO,,,,
A good ceo wouldn't let 1/3 of the company underperformed/outright suck as long as Kirk has.... They would recognize their weakness in that area and outsource it.

A good CEO would have listened to the players complaints about issues with the culture of the program over a decade ago when they had meetings about it and not let it turn into a PR nightmare like it did in the summer of 2020.

Luckily for Kirk his company is in a market (bten west) where the competition isn't nearly as fierce as it would be in the bten east or SEC

• Haha

1. Ohio St 14
2. Iowa 13
3. Michigan 11
4. MSU 9
4. Minnesota 9
4. Penn St 9
4. Wisconsin 9
8. NW 8
8. Purdue 8
10. Indiana 7
11. Illinois 6 1
12. Maryland 5
12. Rutgers 5
14. Nebraska 4
[/QUOT
God bless the bten west and the schedule makers.... please update this list in November after we play Michigan and OSU for once

This is a really good post game podcast by Chad Leistikow & Kenny Smith of the Register.

They discuss, among other things, how Iowa's horrific offense could affect recruiting & losing current players to the transfer portal. The negative recruiting will only intensify and Chad says our current WRs can't help but notice what Charlie Jones is doing at Purdue.

They couldn't believe there was not a QB change at half. They believe that Brian wants to move on from Spencer but Kirk is being too stubborn in making a change. Chad said that the #1 thing Iowa asks its quarterback to do is protect the football. That clearly did not happen in the game.

They also discuss how the defense & special teams are being wasted. It took a 99 yd drive (where ISU converted 6 third downs) for ISU to score one TD. LeVar noticed a weakness in ISU's punting scheme, which led to those 2 Van Ness blocked punts.

They also discuss how going down with the Petras/Brian Ferentz ship could impact/tarnish KF's legacy at Iowa.

Watch here:

Brian was being pretty buddy with Spence even late in the 4th quarter. He was not ass chewing at all. And yeah Kirk makes that call and Brian cannot, so no QB change is on Kirk and not Brian.

Including last year’s 10-4 and Big Ten West championship? Or 6-2 the year before? Or 10-3 in 2018? When did this harm start? 2015 at 12-2?
It is what have you done for me lately. You have to remember a lot of these people have no other joy in their lives other than Iowa football so when that even temporarily goes downhill, there goes all their joy in life and then they have to sit and think about themselves.

IMO, our QB recruiting has been pretty good. But I agree; you gotta be wondering what Labas and May are thinking.

Here's our last 6 QB commits:

Stats and ratings don’t typically mean as much to me as who else offered. I think Deuce had the best offer list. Padilla had an offer to Georgia that was as much as an offer as Purdy had to Alabama.

1. Ohio St 14
2. Iowa 13
3. Michigan 11
4. MSU 9
4. Minnesota 9
4. Penn St 9
4. Wisconsin 9
8. NW 8
8. Purdue 8
10. Indiana 7
11. Illinois 6 1
12. Maryland 5
12. Rutgers 5
14. Nebraska 4
We've had some success the past two years, but it's been almost entirely on the back of the defense and special teams, and it's not going to last

Note that our schedule has been very favorable in recent years (no OSU since 2017, and no UM recently other than champ game), with most of our losses from teams that are not that good: Wisconsin (9 wins), and Purdue and NW (8 wins). We haven't beaten a real quality team with Petras at the helm

I don't advocate KF being fired, but it's clear that changes MUST be made given the offensive futility and the nepotism that apparently is keeping that needed change from occurring.

Or KF does risk something being done about it (like Barta firing Brian, perhaps triggering KF to retire)

Reactions: unclesammy
Iowas O is what it is right now. I will say this, the OL is really struggling. However, in one or two more years they should be top notch. Right now Padilla probably gives them the best chance to win. I don't think he will look very good with the current blocking. Hopefully, Johnson and Brecht will be back ASAP. Recruiting wise I am very excited by Lainz and the new kid, also thought the tape on May looked really good and the RB room is in good shape. The reality is that they just need a little more production from the O and they can have a good year.

Reactions: Franisdaman
I never played the game so I know f**k all about playbooks. For those of you with experience, have you ever seen our offense do anything that argues "complicated"?

As far as I can see the most complicated thing we do is run Dodge out toward the sideline and overthrow him by 3 feet.

the only thing that is "complicated" is that at Iowa the QB has to change the play at the line if it appears the orig play won't work. But we all know that the play is simply changed to a run play, so that does not seem complicated.

at other programs the call change comes from the sideline (that's why you see everyone looking to the sideline)

• Haha
Iowas O is what it is right now. I will say this, the OL is really struggling. However, in one or two more years they should be top notch. Right now Padilla probably gives them the best chance to win. I don't think he will look very good with the current blocking. Hopefully, Johnson and Brecht will be back ASAP. Recruiting wise I am very excited by Lainz and the new kid, also thought the tape on May looked really good and the RB room is in good shape. The reality is that they just need a little more production from the O and they can have a good year.

its crazy. Iowa fans were simply looking for an average offense. an offense maybe ranked between 70 and 75. that's it. instead we are currently 131, last in the country.

the only thing that is "complicated" is that at Iowa the QB has to change the play at the line if it appears the orig play won't work. But we all know that the play is simply changed to a run play, so that does not seem complicated.

at other programs the call change comes from the sideline (that's why you see everyone looking to the sideline)
ohhhh wow who knew??

1. Ohio St 14
2. Iowa 13
3. Michigan 11
4. MSU 9
4. Minnesota 9
4. Penn St 9
4. Wisconsin 9
8. NW 8
8. Purdue 8
10. Indiana 7
11. Illinois 6 1
12. Maryland 5
12. Rutgers 5
14. Nebraska 4
KF is the biggest fan of both the B1G West and COVID-19 that you'll ever find.

Make no mistake about it - this is a program-changing season that is upon us. And this has been in the making since KF promoted his boy in 2017. This is not a "down-year" that they'll bounce back from. The offense is total trash and there is absolutely no evidence that it is a just matter of time before things get turned around. This is 1998 all over again - we are going to take some beatings, especially in Nov when the D is completely worn out. The only reason we might win 4 games is because of the amazing defense and punter we have. And guess what happens when we lose most of our defensive stars next season and likely have a mass exodus through the transfer portal (I'm sure the few potential stars we have on O have taken note of C. Jones' success) - it'll be 1999 all over again. The problem is that, without a change in regime, there's no 2001 in sight...

That 3 star with 3 other low P5 offers? That should do it.

He's considered a 4 star on the other major recruiting site.

And it's still early; he is just now entering his junior season of HS.

His Power 5 offers are Iowa, Wake Forest, Indiana, Georgia Tech.

He's visited Notre Dame, Wisconsin and Cincinnati, who are interested but have not yet offered.

KF is the biggest fan of both the B1G West and COVID-19 that you'll ever find.

Make no mistake about it - this is a program-changing season that is upon us. And this has been in the making since KF promoted his boy in 2017. This is not a "down-year" that they'll bounce back from. The offense is total trash and there is absolutely no evidence that it is a just matter of time before things get turned around. This is 1998 all over again - we are going to take some beatings, especially in Nov when the D is completely worn out. The only reason we might win 4 games is because of the amazing defense and punter we have. And guess what happens when we lose most of our defensive stars next season and likely have a mass exodus through the transfer portal (I'm sure the few potential stars we have on O have taken note of C. Jones' success) - it'll be 1999 all over again. The problem is that, without a change in regime, there's no 2001 in sight...
This!

KFs recent record is smoke and mirrors, if you really dive into the numbers we've rarely beat any above mediocre teams.

In 2021 the ranked teams on our schedule (Indiana, Penn St, Iowa St.) ended up not ranked at the end of the season. The other 2 ranked teams we played we lost to.

2020 the Covid year again we beat no teams ranked in the final top 25.

2019 were 1 - 3 against teams ranked at the end of the season (beat Minny, lost to Wisc, Mich, Penn St)

Not much to brag about in here, Barta completely screwed us.

Reactions: wxhawk
he values the floor of a QB more than the ceiling. He has proven that over and over. He only makes a change when it hits rock bottom or a guy gets hurt or graduates.

make the safe read and protect the football. the guy he has seen the most that executes the safe play will be favored.
This is simply false. Outright, objectively false. Until this Petras thing-which I think is dead-what's the long term proof.

Let me guess what you think proves this falsehood " [KF] only makes a change when it hits rock bottom or a guy gets hurt or graduates.

1. You think Banks should have started. This is an actual lie. KF, KOK and Brad himself, have all said Brad was not prepared to start. Nor was it obvious that he should, unless one conflates his senior year with his junior year-pretty common for those of your opinion. As a junior Brad made some nice plays but also did some very stupid mistakes, like running OB with no immediate pressure short of the line to make on 3rd down in the Michigan game. Brad looked lost. He was mostly used in a limited package.

2. Rick Stanzi and Jake C. Go back and take a look at Jake's total season stats and his game by game as a soph. You'll be begging him to come back given the Petras debacle. He also played with a very very young team around him. At least a week before the start of Ricky's soph season/ Jake's junior year the coaches said both quarterbacks would play with the starters.

Game 1 v. Maine Bears
Jake Christensen9/151228.11149.6
Ricky Stanzi9/14906.40028.9

Each played a half and their wasn't much difference, except Ricky's stronger arm.

Game 2 v. FIU, a terrible opponent

Ricky Stanzi8/1016216.23098.1
Jake Christensen8/12998.3104.0

Rick gunned deep but again, both guys played well.

Game 3 Iowa State. Ricky started although Jake had neither died nor graduated.

Ricky Stanzi5/14956.8021.0
Jake Christensen4/5275.40022.1

Ricky was ****ing terrible. Disastrously bad. Jake entered the game and led the comeback win. That's why there was a real "QB competition". While everyone got excited after FIU they were thinking differently at half time of Ricky's almost game decisive mistakes.

Game 4, Pitt Ricky started.

Jake Christensen12/241245.20035.0
Ricky Stanzi7/10797.90064.8

The pregame reported Jake would play the entire game. He would have had he not disobeyed specific instructions about clock management. I assume you agree the HC has to have control of the team Ricky was never known to have ignored the coaches specific instructions again. He also started the rest of the game and only sat on garbage downs. So the QB competition last all of two games, or maybe 2 and half. If KF is stubborn he would have gone with Jake for at least a few more games. Ricky was far from polished or safe at that point; Ricky had been pulled from two games-one lousy play and one for disciplinary reason. That team played 12 games and the younger and certainly more risky thrower started the last ten.

CJ vs. Jake R. Jake played an excellent season his junior-think its still the 10th best QB season in history-haven't checked recently but I think I'm right about that. Jake was a future NFL QB. Jake was the returning starter and had a huge experience advantage. Sticking with that guy was smart. CJ had a high upside, worked hard and improved throughout the season. When the choice was forced, KF chose the guy with the high upside that had improved all season. Jake Rudock was neither dead nor graduated.

There has never been anything like this Petras situation in the KF years. We've routinely started second year QBs: Banks, Chandler, Tate, Christensen, Stanzi and Stanley. This Petras situation is frustrating enough without exaggerating the coaching record. You can have your opinion but not your own facts.

IOWA offense has been declining for a long time while our defense has been rising for an equal amount of time.

The qb position here seems to be a lock once you start a game even if your back up may be better. This is indeed all on Kirk everything goes threw him.
See above, this is not true.

ironically a 2024 QB committed after yesterday's visit
Because he thinks he's going to come in and fix this shit show like the others that never get a chance to play. This movie started before he was born.
He's doesn't realize this is a pecking order, the qbs are anointed. Once your'e "chosen" it's almost impossible to lose your job no matter the numbers.
Kirk is a fool at this point.
No logic to his decisions at all. The whole country sees it.

Reactions: DewHawk
‘Man, do I agree with this. If Brian wants a change and Kirk is saying no, then he is doing more harm than good to Brian’s career. Kirk can’t be that dumb, can he? If Kirk is truly the one running this offense, it is time he steps back and give Brian full control to see what he can do.
Yes, he can be that dumb. We've seen it before.

ADVERTISEMENT