ADVERTISEMENT

Short term & Long term Ramifications

‘Man, do I agree with this. If Brian wants a change and Kirk is saying no, then he is doing more harm than good to Brian’s career. Kirk can’t be that dumb, can he? If Kirk is truly the one running this offense, it is time he steps back and give Brian full control to see what he can do.
Greg Davis won a natty title. Look what Kirk did to him. Vertical passing game went to horizontal passing game.

This is simply false. Outright, objectively false. Until this Petras thing-which I think is dead-what's the long term proof.

Let me guess what you think proves this falsehood " [KF] only makes a change when it hits rock bottom or a guy gets hurt or graduates.

1. You think Banks should have started. This is an actual lie. KF, KOK and Brad himself, have all said Brad was not prepared to start. Nor was it obvious that he should, unless one conflates his senior year with his junior year-pretty common for those of your opinion. As a junior Brad made some nice plays but also did some very stupid mistakes, like running OB with no immediate pressure short of the line to make on 3rd down in the Michigan game. Brad looked lost. He was mostly used in a limited package.

2. Rick Stanzi and Jake C. Go back and take a look at Jake's total season stats and his game by game as a soph. You'll be begging him to come back given the Petras debacle. He also played with a very very young team around him. At least a week before the start of Ricky's soph season/ Jake's junior year the coaches said both quarterbacks would play with the starters.

Game 1 v. Maine Bears
Jake Christensen9/151228.11149.6
Ricky Stanzi9/14906.40028.9

Each played a half and their wasn't much difference, except Ricky's stronger arm.

Game 2 v. FIU, a terrible opponent

Ricky Stanzi8/1016216.23098.1
Jake Christensen8/12998.3104.0

Rick gunned deep but again, both guys played well.

Game 3 Iowa State. Ricky started although Jake had neither died nor graduated.

Ricky Stanzi5/14956.8021.0
Jake Christensen4/5275.40022.1

Ricky was ****ing terrible. Disastrously bad. Jake entered the game and led the comeback win. That's why there was a real "QB competition". While everyone got excited after FIU they were thinking differently at half time of Ricky's almost game decisive mistakes.

Game 4, Pitt Ricky started.

Jake Christensen12/241245.20035.0
Ricky Stanzi7/10797.90064.8

The pregame reported Jake would play the entire game. He would have had he not disobeyed specific instructions about clock management. I assume you agree the HC has to have control of the team Ricky was never known to have ignored the coaches specific instructions again. He also started the rest of the game and only sat on garbage downs. So the QB competition last all of two games, or maybe 2 and half. If KF is stubborn he would have gone with Jake for at least a few more games. Ricky was far from polished or safe at that point; Ricky had been pulled from two games-one lousy play and one for disciplinary reason. That team played 12 games and the younger and certainly more risky thrower started the last ten.

CJ vs. Jake R. Jake played an excellent season his junior-think its still the 10th best QB season in history-haven't checked recently but I think I'm right about that. Jake was a future NFL QB. Jake was the returning starter and had a huge experience advantage. Sticking with that guy was smart. CJ had a high upside, worked hard and improved throughout the season. When the choice was forced, KF chose the guy with the high upside that had improved all season. Jake Rudock was neither dead nor graduated.

There has never been anything like this Petras situation in the KF years. We've routinely started second year QBs: Banks, Chandler, Tate, Christensen, Stanzi and Stanley. This Petras situation is frustrating enough without exaggerating the coaching record. You can have your opinion but not your own facts.
STANZI made alot of mistakes but at no time did you ever feel he would win the game. That's what made Stanzi fantastic. Indiana game wasn't it 6 ints and he still just won the game.

STANZI made alot of mistakes but at no time did you ever feel he would win the game. That's what made Stanzi fantastic. Indiana game wasn't it 6 ints and he still just won the game.
Pick Six Rick had a great thing for a qb. He could seemingly flush stupid plays from his thoughts in game and not let it hamper his play. That's an attitude for a qb that's going out to win a game for his team, rather than playing not to lose.

Pick Six Rick had a great thing for a qb. He could seemingly flush stupid plays from his thoughts in game and not let it hamper his play. That's an attitude for a qb that's going out to win a game for his team, rather than playing not to lose.

The problem from the coaching perspective is formation of the stupid thoughts in the first place. That was mostly gone by Ricky's senior year. He was just flat out great that year. That team really fell apart senior season.

I think players are all in with Kirk. I believe they are unified. This isn't the 85 Bears with Ditka and Buddy battling against each other.
Nothing wrong with being optimistic, but I think this is extremely wishful thinking and maybe even naive. I don't know how you can NOT have big-time tension in a locker room when half the team is playing at an FBS championship level and the other half is playing at an average Division II level. Maybe these guys will all say that they are loyal to KF and to each other...but they're not stupid.

Reactions: DewHawk
ADVERTISEMENT