ADVERTISEMENT

Shot fired at family home of North Carolina US House candidate...

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — A recent shooting at the Hickory, North Carolina, residence of GOP congressional candidate Pat Harrigan's parents and young children caused no injuries but placed “tremendous stress” on the family in the final weeks of his campaign, Harrigan's mother said Thursday.

Harrigan, a firearms manufacturer and U.S. Army Special Forces veteran, is running against Democratic state Sen. Jeff Jackson for an open U.S. House seat in North Carolina's new 14th District based in western Charlotte. The left-leaning district emerged from a lengthy redistricting battle during which North Carolina redrew its congressional map to account for the additional seat it was awarded following the 2020 census.

Political analysts say the 2022 map favors Republicans in seven of the state’s 14 districts and favors Democrats in six, with one toss-up district in the Raleigh suburbs.

Marla Harrigan, 74, told The Associated Press on Thursday that she and her husband James Harrigan were watching television down the hall when a bullet shattered their laundry room window on the night of Oct. 18. The Hickory Police Department responded to their 911 call and noted in the police report that the incident involved a firearm.

The congressional candidate's children, ages 3 and 5, were asleep in the bedroom directly above the room where the shooting occurred, Marla Harrigan said. The bullet came from a densely wooded area and did not wake the kids.

She said the two children have been living with their grandparents in Hickory, about 57 miles northwest of Charlotte, for much of the campaign cycle. They have since been relocated out of state “out of an abundance of caution after the shooting," she said, adding that her son is urging his parents to leave town as well.

“It's just disconcerting, especially with the children there," Marla Harrigan told the AP. “This campaign is so stressful, and we feel so badly for our son because, you know, he's terribly stressed about his children ... and now they're gone, they're not with their parents and it's just very, very disruptive."

Hickory Police Department spokesperson Kristen Hart said the department has not made arrests related to the incident and that the investigation is ongoing.

Jordan Shaw, spokesperson for the Harrigan campaign, said the Republican candidate has also received numerous death threats, which they've submitted to the police to aid their investigation.

“I’m focused on fixing the economy, lowering prices and keeping our streets safe,” Harrigan said in a statement Thursday. “And it’ll take more than a bullet and death threats to knock this Green Beret off that mission.”

Must of been a confused MAGA ****tard. Liberals of the Democrat party are the party of peace.

image-asset.jpeg

It was just a concerned patriot hoping to thwart the planned end of democracy.
(I should get a ton of likes for this, right?)
No. Shooting at someone’s family is an a-hole move and deserves multiple felony charges.

Reactions: Joes Place
Of course it is but in the supercharged atmosphere on this board that’s been created by an epic hissy fit the troll leftists are throwing I wonder if they see it that way.
🤷‍♂️ I just try to stick to facts.

Reactions: goldmom
Do we know if it was intentional?

"From the woods" could easily been just a hunting deal. Not like it was a drive by.
This was my first thought. If someone wanted to target a congressional candidate then why would they shoot at his parents’ house instead of shooting at his house? How many people would even know the people who owned that home were the parents of a congressional candidate or that his children were sleeping in the house?

The article mentions that it happened at night but doesn’t specify what time of night. Since it presumably was dark outside, it most likely wasn’t a hunter. But it could have just as easily been a couple of teenagers playing with a gun in the woods.

Based solely on the information in the article, I’d say it’s maybe 50/50 that this was a politically motivated attack.

Looks like the kids were sleeping at the grandparents because of the death threats the candidate has been receiving. His opponent ran an ad featuring the house and it was shot at after the ad ran.

As the incident was made public, the family would reveal that the two girls had been living with their grandparents for much of the campaign cycle due to the slew of death threats - which they said put 'tremendous stress' on Harrigan, 35, and his loved ones.

The kids have since been relocated out of state, according to their grandmother - while Harrigan, who was not at the residence at the time of the shooting, has since come forward to confirm that he owns a lakeside property near the residence, in the town of Hickory.

Shockingly, that same property was featured in a campaign ad recently aired by Harrigan's primary opponent, Democrat Jeff Jackson - a scathing spot that showed the house and all of its surroundings. The commercial first aired on October 18, the day of the shooting, and has since been pulled from syndication.

Looks like the kids were sleeping at the grandparents because of the death threats the candidate has been receiving. His opponent ran an ad featuring the house and it was shot at after the ad ran.

As the incident was made public, the family would reveal that the two girls had been living with their grandparents for much of the campaign cycle due to the slew of death threats - which they said put 'tremendous stress' on Harrigan, 35, and his loved ones.

The kids have since been relocated out of state, according to their grandmother - while Harrigan, who was not at the residence at the time of the shooting, has since come forward to confirm that he owns a lakeside property near the residence, in the town of Hickory.

Shockingly, that same property was featured in a campaign ad recently aired by Harrigan's primary opponent, Democrat Jeff Jackson - a scathing spot that showed the house and all of its surroundings. The commercial first aired on October 18, the day of the shooting, and has since been pulled from syndication.
From what I’ve read around here, Jeff Jackson did an ad in front a lake house talking about his opponent’s lake house. The ad was shot in front of a lake house, but not Harrigan’s lake house. Still, Jackson did pull the ad after the shooting.

From what I’ve read around here, Jeff Jackson did an ad in front a lake house talking about his opponent’s lake house. The ad was shot in front of a lake house, but not Harrigan’s lake house. Still, Jackson did pull the ad after the shooting.
I posted the section from an article that said it’s the same property. His kids have been staying there because of death threats.

ADVERTISEMENT