ADVERTISEMENT

Should Al Franken resign his Senate seat?

I'm fully ready to give Franken the boot. But I demand the same treatment of Trump. It's an entirely moral stance.

Then we get nowhere and our "politics" (both sides) spits in the face of women everywhere. Glad to see that is your stance, sorry AF victims we would of done the right thing and stood up for you but only if Trump quit.

PATHETIC

Yes. It's the right thing to do. No more Clinton-era excuses for the Democrats. And, no, I am not a Republican. For chrissakes, I have self-respect!

Besides, Franken stepping down could could set a standard of behavior that shames the Republicans who don't hold themselves up to the same standards of behavior (Roy Moore and Donald Trump, for example).

Lol...this is why D.C. doesn't have to really work for the people. Zero accountability for anyone bc, well, "FOR THE PARTY"!

I'm hardly for the Dems. We have plenty of people in Congress right now that have done as much or more. I'd love to see the Senate without Al Franken in it, but just this incident isn't enough to warrant the sideshow spectacle of forcing someone out.

Honestly, I haven't seen anything Moore is accused of that is illegal; just very creepy. He should not be allowed in the Senate because he has twice proven he is not willing to uphold the constitution; which is their oath of office. Those trying to get Moore to step aside over this accusations are using them as an excuse to get rid of him. GOP doesn't want the embarrassment, Dems don't want a rightwing nutjob in the Senate.

Franken's actions are closer to being illegal, in that they could be considered assault. However, given that this was a voluntary kiss during a voluntary skit rehearsal, I would think "he kissed me more aggressively than I expected" would not get a conviction.

Answer is "no", Franken should not resign.

Take a good hard close look...this is what 14 year old girl looks like - she looked like this when Roy Moore satisfied himself with her.
moore1108promoimage-blackborder.jpg

Reactions: wilson reborn
Take a good hard close look...this is what 14 year old girl looks like - she looked like this when Roy Moore satisfied himself with her.

The Judge maintains his innocence, after multilple women, most of them minors at the time, stand up against him.

Franken acknowleges a mistake, after one incident, with an adult.

Even Mitch McConnell gets it.

Reactions: BrianNole09

The level of creepiness aside, I'm talking about the law. The stories I've read indicate none of the claims involve breaking a law. If creepiness were a factor McConnel would be out.

Once again.....LET THE FREAKING VOTERS OF FREAKING MINNESOTA DEAL WITH IT!!!!!!

If this had occurred when Franken was in the Senate, that's the color of a different horse (yes, I did that on purpose). But this occurred when he was a low-life comedian known primarily for lame performances on SNL.

The calls for referral to the Senate Ethics Committee are hilarious. It hasn't done anything in more than five years despite numerous cases referred to it. It's purpose is to provide cover, one of the few truly bipartisan things about Congress.

The level of creepiness aside, I'm talking about the law. The stories I've read indicate none of the claims involve breaking a law. If creepiness were a factor McConnel would be out.

He allegedly molested a 14 year old girl when he was 32.

Was that legal in 1970's Alabama?

I'm not a lawyer.

He allegedly molested a 14 year old girl when he was 32.

Was that legal in 1970's Alabama?

I'm not a lawyer.

Okay, I looked it up and apparently if he did what she claims he would have been violating at least a couple of laws. I had assumed not because that part doesn't seem to get mentioned in the stories -- which usually just highlight how creepy his actions were.

In this case I do believe he should step aside. However, I believe the Senate should refuse to seat him because he has consistently shown an aggressive unwillingness to fulfill the oath of office that the Senate requires.

Franken, however, I do not believe should step down because an unexpectedly aggressive kiss while rehearsing a skit seems to fall far short of assault.

Okay, I looked it up and apparently if he did what she claims he would have been violating at least a couple of laws. I had assumed not because that part doesn't seem to get mentioned in the stories -- which usually just highlight how creepy his actions were.

In this case I do believe he should step aside. However, I believe the Senate should refuse to seat him because he has consistently shown an aggressive unwillingness to fulfill the oath of office that the Senate requires.

Franken, however, I do not believe should step down because an unexpectedly aggressive kiss while rehearsing a skit seems to fall far short of assault.

There is no constitutional requirement that a senator take an oath. Moore could just decline to do it if he wants to be a dick.

People w integrity wouldn't wait for someone else to "go first" so I think you missed the point of my post. Also, the Republican leader have been telling Moore he needs to exit the race.
Unfortunately, this is SOP for the right. Zillions of examples. They will argue for the right to pollute - then when they find a liberal who pollutes, they call for him to stop. And when someone suggests that the big polluters should go first, they trot out this phony "integrity" argument.

We see it for racism, sexism and pretty much across the board.

This is just another example of false equivalence.

First remove the mote from your own eye, uniowa.

There is no constitutional requirement that a senator take an oath. Moore could just decline to do it if he wants to be a dick.

Article 6 Section 3
The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers, both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious Test shall ever be required as a ...

Article 6 Section 3
The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers, both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious Test shall ever be required as a ...

got this exactly wrong

Reactions: BrianNole09
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT