ADVERTISEMENT

Should Dejean take over punt return duties full time?

uihawk82

HR All-American
Nov 17, 2021
After watching his pick 6 return at Rutgers and his punt returns against Wisky I am of the opinion he would be better than Bruce as the punt returner.

He is excellent at catching the ball, maybe needs some more practice experience as a punt returner (not sure if he did that a lot before now), and he just seems to have that vision and moves that makes for an elusive, excellent punt returner.

Yes, 100% with our inept offense he is a weapon for the offense like Charlie had been. He has a higher upside than Jones as well with how much of an elite athlete and playmaker he is. Off the charts with the potential. Cannot believe he had no other offers out of HS. Hats off to the staff hitting a homerun here.

I think you'll receive 100% in agreement that Cooper should PR full time. This is like asking if the sun rises in the East.

The only question is how many other roles can we get him into. Maybe Kaleb and Cooper deep on kick return? I'd rather seeing Cooper back there than watch Gavin fair catch.

Fact of the matter is Bruce IV is/can be a pretty good PR, I understand why Coach Woods selected him to begin the season.

DeJean adds better vision and athletic ability. Reminds me of watching games at a packed Hawkeye bar back in the Fry era - you could feel the excitement that something special could happen every time Tim Dwight dropped back to receive a punt. I get the same feeling with DeJean. What a great athlete.

I think you'll receive 100% in agreement that Cooper should PR full time. This is like asking if the sun rises in the East.

The only question is how many other roles can we get him into. Maybe Kaleb and Cooper deep on kick return? I'd rather seeing Cooper back there than watch Gavin fair catch.
Dejean pretty much admitted after the game that he's pretty taxed at this point in number of snaps he is playing. Is playing every snap on defense, punt return, punt team. Not sure on KO. They have no choice but to put him on PR with the injuries.

KF said in the post game that he's sure he could succeed on offense, compared him to Micah Hyde and that Hyde would have been a good offensive player. I would not be surprised in subsequent years if Dejean is used on offense some if Iowa doesn't have the rash of injuries like they had at DB this year.

Dejean pretty much admitted after the game that he's pretty taxed at this point in number of snaps he is playing. Is playing every snap on defense, punt return, punt team. Not sure on KO. They have no choice but to put him on PR with the injuries.

KF said in the post game that he's sure he could succeed on offense, compared him to Micah Hyde and that Hyde would have been a good offensive player. I would not be surprised in subsequent years if Dejean is used on offense some if Iowa doesn't have the rash of injuries like they had at DB this year.
I recall a quote a few years back from KF that basically said that he puts players in the best for position for them and used Hyde as the example. Essentially, Hyde would have set Iowa records at wr but he would be a star in the NFL at DB.

Complain all you want about his offensive philosophy, but the guy loves his kids.

Fact of the matter is Bruce IV is/can be a pretty good PR, I understand why Coach Woods selected him to begin the season.

DeJean adds better vision and athletic ability. Reminds me of watching games at a packed Hawkeye bar back in the Fry era - you could feel the excitement that something special could happen every time Tim Dwight dropped back to receive a punt. I get the same feeling with DeJean. What a great athlete.
I agree Bruce is really good, above avg at least returning punts.

And really Kirk and LWoods first want a punt returner who can hardly ever screw up, make nearly every catch, close to 100 out of 100, who can move to not let the ball bounce unless they are taught if the ball is coming down a certain way it will likely bounce backwards. Who knows when to fair catch vs try to return it.

Fumbling a punt and losing it is worse than blocking a punt, as it is a huge change in field position but also a loss of possession as you just forced the other team to punt. Wow, we have seen many many games change on a fumbled muffed lost punt

Reactions: sober_teacher
Cannot believe he had no other offers out of HS. Hats off to the staff hitting a homerun here.
What, no other offers for him, that is unreal. I dont care if he is from small town Iowa because if you watched him enough in high school, which I didnt, you would have to see the speed, moves, smarts, throwing and catching ability. Tackler etc

Reactions: Chishawk1425
Didn't he muff one last season? I believe he did, but I'm not saying that with certainty. We've definitely seen younger players get less opportunities after mishandling the ball. I'm all for him, but I'm guessing that's why he hasn't been the feature guy all along.

I have said this before, but I think any one of several DBs including CDJ should be back there with Kaleb. No knock on Gavin but he gets beat up enough as a RB. Iowa has several DBs playing limited minutes who would be excellent candidates for this.

Reactions: unclesammy
I believe he has been offered a preferred walk on deal.
Supposedly the youngest brother..8th grade..is already 6'2" and the best of the bunch.
Someone to keep an eye on.
Quite the family!

There's an article reporting that Beckett DeJean received a preferred walk-on offer at the Iowa-ISU game.

After watching his pick 6 return at Rutgers and his punt returns against Wisky I am of the opinion he would be better than Bruce as the punt returner.

He is excellent at catching the ball, maybe needs some more practice experience as a punt returner (not sure if he did that a lot before now), and he just seems to have that vision and moves that makes for an elusive, excellent punt returner.
Absolutely. He is soooooo much more natural than anyone we have seen this year.

Yes, IMO he/CDJ should return punts because he is a very gifted athlete and break a big play anytime. Bruce just appears to be a bit slow and lacks vision as a punt returner.

Cooper Dejean looks fantastic against Wisc returning punts. I would hope he sees more touches on offense of any kind. Seems like a gamebreaker.

I can only imagine what Nile Kinnick was like on the field. In my 40+ years of watching Hawkeye football, Cooper fits my perception of what it might have been like to watch Nile in uniform.

It would be fun to see him at returner, wildcat QB, receiver, and tailback. Let him get 1000+ all purpose yards, and be a lockdown corner. He would have to get Heisman consideration.

Kirk actually mentioned the words Cooper and Offense in the Wisconsin radio post game. That would be Kirk 4.0 if it ever happens.

this.

heck, if he can throw at all make him our new QB :)
Senior year.
3447 passing yards
35 passing td's
1224 yards rushing yards
24 rushing td's.
He would completely change this O even with the line because of his athletism and dual threat.

Last edited:
Reactions: QChawks
Oh, I'm sure you'd have no problem telling Parker what's what...then you are looking for a new D coordinator next year.

If you don't think Parker has massive say in what goes on with his defensive personnel, I don't know what to tell you.
I'd be willing to bet Parker has complete control, just like I'd be willing to bet Brian has no control on O.

Last edited:
I can only imagine what Nile Kinnick was like on the field. In my 40+ years of watching Hawkeye football, Cooper fits my perception of what it might have been like to watch Nile in uniform.

It would be fun to see him at returner, wildcat QB, receiver, and tailback. Let him get 1000+ all purpose yards, and be a lockdown corner. He would have to get Heisman consideration.

Kirk actually mentioned the words Cooper and Offense in the Wisconsin radio post game. That would be Kirk 4.0 if it ever happens.
4.0 Kirk would still be like a Nintendo 64 in todays game. 🤣

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT